3080 w/ i7-7700k?

XILEGEND

Sup guys. Was wondering if the 7700k was good enough to pair with a 3080 or 3080ti, i know its a good cpu but its getting a bit dated. This cpu has treated me great over the years but just wasnt sure if it will be holding me back in any way performance-wise. Thanks!

What resolution is your display?

1080p? You'll potentially see some unwanted performance. Not a great GPU if you intend to only play at 1080p anyway.

1440p+? Should be fine for now.

i would upgrade if i were you and was going to buy a 3080. a i7 7700k preforms like a i3 10100, yea thats just plain bad as a bottleneck with a 3080.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

I mean, it'll probably be fine, but if you've got the money for a 3080, you can afford to upgrade your CPU to something a bit more suited for it. My 5900X runs pretty hard to power my 3080 depending on the game, so the moment you get into a game that isn't very well optimized, your CPU will become a pretty big bottleneck (granted, you'd still be getting a ton of FPS, just not as much as you should with that tier or card).

Plus, 7700ks are still selling for ~$200 on eBay, with motherboards being about $50-100. If you live near a Micro Center (which is honestly the only way you've got a shot at a 3080), you can get a 5800X for $300 and a motherboard for about $100, meaning you'd only effectively spend $100-150 on a very big upgrade for a CPU that is a much better match for the 3080.

Overclock the crap out of the cpu to alliveate the cpu bottleneck, the intel spec aka max safe volt for 14nm is 1.52v but i d reccomend max 1.4v instead if you have cooling issues

2 hours ago, rickeo said:

What resolution is your display?

1080p? You'll potentially see some unwanted performance. Not a great GPU if you intend to only play at 1080p anyway.

1440p+? Should be fine for now.

I game on a 1440p 144hz monitor, i know ill get a big jump in fps but just wasnt sure how effective this cpu is in comparison to the new gens. Didnt want to leave a large portion of performance on the table ya know

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, it'll probably be fine, but if you've got the money for a 3080, you can afford to upgrade your CPU to something a bit more suited for it. My 5900X runs pretty hard to power my 3080 depending on the game, so the moment you get into a game that isn't very well optimized, your CPU will become a pretty big bottleneck (granted, you'd still be getting a ton of FPS, just not as much as you should with that tier or card).

Plus, 7700ks are still selling for ~$200 on eBay, with motherboards being about $50-100. If you live near a Micro Center (which is honestly the only way you've got a shot at a 3080), you can get a 5800X for $300 and a motherboard for about $100, meaning you'd only effectively spend $100-150 on a very big upgrade for a CPU that is a much better match for the 3080.

Yea thats certainly the ideal situation, just wasnt sure if i could get away with a simple gpu swap. If im hindering the gpu significantly ill just wait on buying a 3080. I just wasnt totally sure if i was taking away 5%, 10%, 20%, etc. of the cards capabilities. Im using a 2080 super right now thats been fantastic but i have a friend that could use a card. Was planning on getting the 3080 and selling my current card at a reasonable price to help pay for it

46 minutes ago, XILEGEND said:

Im using a 2080 super right now thats been fantastic but i have a friend that could use a card. Was planning on getting the 3080 and selling my current card at a reasonable price to help pay for it

Remember the 3080 is a little under twice the performance of the 2080 super, so if you're CPU is above 60% usage in games, I'd say you'd be leaving significant performance on the table. 

You'll be fine for a while on high res but not for long. since consoles are 8c16t, you're going to see a lot more games require a lot more threads soon. IMO use it until you get major stutters in aaa games then upgrade to 8c16t+

2 hours ago, CptnReflex said:

You'll be fine for a while on high res but not for long. since consoles are 8c16t, you're going to see a lot more games require a lot more threads soon. IMO use it until you get major stutters in aaa games then upgrade to 8c16t+

Hadnt even thought of that, good point. Think it can work for another year or so, or is this a more significant need than im making it out to be right now?

1 hour ago, XILEGEND said:

Hadnt even thought of that, good point. Think it can work for another year or so, or is this a more significant need than im making it out to be right now?

right now you're fine, but just for some context, BF 2042 completely maxxed out at 4k resolution requires more vram than a standard 3080. because game devs always optimize for consoles, this actually makes sense, as the new xbox has 13.5GB of vram IIRC, and the PS5 has 16gb of vram, which is shared with system memory, but the console ui takes up very little memory as it is. This is speculation on my part, but it actually makes sense that a 3080 might run out of vram unless you turn a few things down like post processing @ 4k. your cpu will work just fine, but just don't exepect to be completely maxxing out brand new AAA titles, and imo keep an eye on your frame render latency and 99% drops if you feel you lose performance. Waiting until AMD's new zen might be a good choice for you, and if I had your setup that's what I'd do.

but also I don't see consoles getting more cores any time soon. it's pretty interesting to me, because a 5600x has better gaming performance than my 9900k by a small margin, but that might actually change in the future if those 6 cores fall short one day. kind of a gamble there, but I strongly feel that the newest game engines might need more cores, but also windows 11 might change that going forward with big little architecture, in which you might wanna keep your current rig around with your old GPU in it for older games that aren't patched with new DRM. I definitely don't have all the answers, but if your frame render latency looks good and you don't have massive frame drops then I feel you don't need to upgrade yet. Good luck on the cpu adventure!

edit: I didn't realize you didn't purchase the 3080 yet lol, so take that in account for context heh

8 minutes ago, CptnReflex said:

right now you're fine, but just for some context, BF 2042 completely maxxed out at 4k resolution requires more vram than a standard 3080. because game devs always optimize for consoles, this actually makes sense, as the new xbox has 13.5GB of vram IIRC, and the PS5 has 16gb of vram, which is shared with system memory, but the console ui takes up very little memory as it is. This is speculation on my part, but it actually makes sense that a 3080 might run out of vram unless you turn a few things down like post processing @ 4k. your cpu will work just fine, but just don't exepect to be completely maxxing out brand new AAA titles, and imo keep an eye on your frame render latency and 99% drops if you feel you lose performance. Waiting until AMD's new zen might be a good choice for you, and if I had your setup that's what I'd do.

but also I don't see consoles getting more cores any time soon. it's pretty interesting to me, because a 5600x has better gaming performance than my 9900k by a small margin, but that might actually change in the future if those 6 cores fall short one day. kind of a gamble there, but I strongly feel that the newest game engines might need more cores, but also windows 11 might change that going forward with big little architecture, in which you might wanna keep your current rig around with your old GPU in it for older games that aren't patched with new DRM. I definitely don't have all the answers, but if your frame render latency looks good and you don't have massive frame drops then I feel you don't need to upgrade yet. Good luck on the cpu adventure!

edit: I didn't realize you didn't purchase the 3080 yet lol, so take that in account for context heh

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it! 👌👌