So I finally got PFsense working

🙂 Now I'm making progress, finally got PFsense working. So what I'm trying to do is make a type of sandbox, a testing environment that doesn't communicate to the outside world, but can still get to the internet, if that makes sense. So is this IP configuration correct in the image below? I have the pfsense WAN set up as a bridged adapter, while the Windows VM adapter is set up as "internal network". The one on the left is the Windows 10 VM. 

Windows Ip config.jpg

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Im not clear on what your end goal is. Do you mean that you want a network segment that can only communicate with the internet, and nothing on your LAN? Where are you running pfsense and where do you want the 'isolated' machine to be? What is this isolated machine used for?

On 11/7/2021 at 5:56 PM, Eww said:

Im not clear on what your end goal is. Do you mean that you want a network segment that can only communicate with the internet, and nothing on your LAN? Where are you running pfsense and where do you want the 'isolated' machine to be? What is this isolated machine used for?

🙂 Never mind, I got it working. Its a type of 'hide-the-LAN-but-get-internet' sandbox I wanted, as explained in the link below. My O.S VM has a different address range assigned to it than the host machine, so it looks like its working. 

Link: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=96608#p468780

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

On 11/6/2021 at 12:39 PM, BlackManINC said:

🙂 Now I'm making progress, finally got PFsense working...

My sympathies for your los...t time

On 11/8/2021 at 9:24 PM, JacobFW said:

My sympathies for your los...t time

On 11/7/2021 at 5:56 PM, Eww said:

🤔Actually, I thought I had it figured out, but not quite it seems. Basically, I'm now trying to set up a second interface so that it can connect to the internet the same way as interface em1 shown below, the Windows VM. I have it set up right in the "network" settings for the pfsense vm, but I still can't connect my second internal vm to the internet. So do I have to assign an IP address to 'Em2'? And if so, how exactly? Its asking me to type in the "WAN upstream gateway address", which I'm assuming is the one shown in the image below (10.0.0.127/24), but it keeps saying its "not an IPv4 address". That doesn't make sense at all to me if interface em1 connects to the internet perfectly fine through it. 😕

Em2 Screen.jpg

Not an IPv4 address.jpg

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

As it says on the page, leave it blank if its a LAN interface.  Although I can't really tell what you're trying to achieve on this second interface.

This is a bit of a weird way to be doing this in general, you'd normally isolate different LANs at the main router, not one that is connected to the LAN.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

As it says on the page, leave it blank if its a LAN interface.  Although I can't really tell what you're trying to achieve on this second interface.

This is a bit of a weird way to be doing this in general, you'd normally isolate different LANs at the main router, not one that is connected to the LAN.

🙂 I figured it out. I was making it way too hard on myself, when the solution was right in front of me, where it says "Lan". 😆....Now I have a completely isolated sandbox similar to how its done for enterprise environments. 👍

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

🙂 I figured it out. I was making it way too hard on myself, when the solution was right in front of me, where it says "Lan". 😆....Now I have a completely isolated sandbox similar to how its done for enterprise environments. 👍

Like I said though, pretty sure enterprise would keep all LANs on the router/firewall, anything on the WAN side of the router can potentially be accessed unless you're careful with your NAT rules as the default configuration is to allow access to EVERYTHING on the WAN side from the LAN side.

It will block you seeing auto-configuration devices that broadcast to the LAN, but it wont block access if someone guesses the IP address of your LAN clients and tried to connect directly, NAT will happily forward that through by default.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7