Can I still have a future in the pro scene?

ChrisElitz
Go to solution Solved by QuantumSingularity,

First with the hardware side of your question - Linus did prove (even a couple of times) that high-end hardware makes for better results. So yeah, sad as it may be, you can have all the skill in the world and still some kid or grandpa with top 0.1% rig could smash your ass with his medium-average skills (like my dad did 2 years ago when he got hooked on CS:GO at the age of 61). I play racing sims now and my rig is right in the middle of average and when we get to online races, my times are about 1.5 - 2.0 secs slower (that's the difference between top 5 / world record and 100th+ place) than the ones at private testing simply because of the FPS and frame time difference. Even bigger is the difference between playing with wheel, gamepad and keyboard and even the different tiers of wheels give different advantage. And the same goes for the first person shooters with the mouses, keyboards, motherboards, monitors sometimes even down to the very mouse pad. Once at a local tournament (about 9-10 years ago) we eliminated the best team in round 1 simply because their top player had soaked his mouse pad in cola and had to use a different one, thus rendering him below our entire team. So even with one crippled player it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Then let's get to that very skill part. Not to be a downer but as someone who was once in a professional e-sport team basically from the dawn of CS, i can tell you the difference between top 100 and top 10 is almost on a logarithmic scale and that there is A LOT MORE that happens behind scene than what you see in online ranking. Anyone with any rig and enough practice can enter top 100 in any game. To go top 50 is a bit of a challenge, for top 20 you basically need no "bad day" and top 10 is where the real stuff happens. However no game has truelly universal worldwide rank system to reflect all of its players' skill across the globe, simply because there isn't a single game that has a single world-wide server. You might think you are really good cause you are on 15th spot, then go to a tournament in another country or continent and find out you're just like a sitting duck, collecting bullets left and right. Like with any professional sport, e-sports'  competition is fierce and competing teams always keep their cards close to their chests so that's why most elite team train privately w/o sharing their scores, skills and tactics online. You won't be "invited" to a pro team out of the blue simply because of your online score. You have to choose a few, follow them online and hope that at some point they'll be looking for a new member and pray to all of the gods, you'll be good enough to take the spot. 

Last is the content creation - many have followed this path and failed (me included). If you are a girl, the road is much easier and the chances for success are much higher, but if you are a boy (which i presume you are since you are here), well better roll up your sleeves, clench your teeth and be VERY patient. It might (and probably will) take years or even a decade for you to succeed in that niche. Consistency is the key but don't be fooled into thinking it will be pure fun and joy or that it will be easy. It's not just playing games all day, you'll have to edit videos, be active on social media and all the rest of interaction with the audience business. A simple gameplay highlights edit, with an already done intro and upload to youtube can easily take up to an hour. Believe it or not, but there will be times where you'll hate gaming, simply because it will start to feel like a chore and if you haven't given up at that point (that's where i did quit) you might succeed. 

I know it's a lot to take in and most of it isn't really a good news, but you are still young. it's a myth that pro-players lose their skill with time. Your reactions might get slower (not really) but you gain something much more valuable - experience. I at the ancient age of 34 still own pretty much every Quake 2 server i can find. So for now, just enjoy gaming, interact with people and make online friends across the globe. Interact with them online, stream just casually for the fun of it and don't stress. If it's meant to be your way, it will happen. 

I really wanted to be invited to play over in the pro scene, but my family isn't really that rich but we're not that poor as well basically around average here in the Philippines.
I do have skills in FPS games and with my young age (15) I know that I can compete in the future. 
My ranks and achievements: Plat coz I only played for a month (Apex), Plat II (Valorant), Dia III, top 37 TenZ haven clutch, top 93 Haven entry (Aimlabs), Gold nova II (CS:GO)

And I only started playing 5 months ago so it was kind of late already.
Then I told my parents what I wanted for my future and they were kind of disappointed with it, but this is where I'm happy.
I was thinking if I can be a content creator at first but I can't coz my PC is shit, actually it has a problem right now and I posted it here in this website (Link: 

)

I also feel like my skill is being capped because I'm only using a 60hz monitor but I don't blame it lol.
I just wanna know your opinion about this guys and what path I should take for my future, thanks.

Peripherals: Wolf M5 mouse (which is broken [1 side button is broken]), Chinese oem mech kb (it's from china so idk), my monitor is a viewsonic 60hz not sure w model but its generic it says here in the device manager, and my headset just an Mpow air.

I'll just drop my PC specs as well for those who wanna know.
PC specs: i5-4670, 16gb ddr3 ram (4x4), 60gb ssd, 1tb hdd, rog rx570
250637244_274282584610558_7277303949689057510_n.thumb.png.9427d9ed8316c260a79f6d7c84e6560a.png250956766_1199021410580052_3127601535106685201_n.thumb.png.19ff7b846d80c6950237325ec51e8355.png

If you're good enough, then sure, but look into that black screen, I posted in that thread just now

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

40 minutes ago, ChrisElitz said:

Gold nova II

i mean... i dont think youre going pro in CS:GO for a while at least, rest i cant say anything about as ive never played and of those games

41 minutes ago, ChrisElitz said:

also feel like my skill is being capped because I'm only using a 60hz monitor

OC your screen, if you can make it do 75Hz thats quite a large improvement already, ive played at a pro level on a 60Hz screen tho. 144Hz or whatever is NICE but not needed.

Id focus on studies probably and keep gaming as a hobby with an ambition, its going to take a LOT of grind, skill and luck to get anywhere. if your passion for gaming dies it could be pretty nice to have something to fall back on

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

OC your screen, if you can make it do 75Hz thats quite a large improvement already

I was just about to say this but yea 75hz is a good improvement over 60hz, my samsung cube monitor goes to 79hz but nvidia control panel only allows 16 bit colours even tho it works fine on 32bit colors

Most monitors should make it to 75hz though most will not make it to 80hz without some visual quality downgrade, so 79hz should be the most you can expect out of your monitor, my dads craptop does 75hz and with visual quality out the window it goes to 80hz but above that and it black screens

Almost nobody makes it into the pro scene. This isn't a hero's journey movie. There's a few million players (many of whom are very very good at their chosen games) to every one pro player.

I think I know why you're asking if you have a chance here - you want validation, you want to feel like you have a real chance at becoming a pro.

You're at an age where you can learn about your interests very quickly and enjoy doing so - don't focus on becoming a pro gamer. Focus on learning about more realistic things you'd like to do for money that have real job prospects.

And keep on playing games in your spare time, trying to be the best.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i mean... i dont think youre going pro in CS:GO for a while at least, rest i cant say anything about as ive never played and of those games

OC your screen, if you can make it do 75Hz thats quite a large improvement already, ive played at a pro level on a 60Hz screen tho. 144Hz or whatever is NICE but not needed.

Id focus on studies probably and keep gaming as a hobby with an ambition, its going to take a LOT of grind, skill and luck to get anywhere. if your passion for gaming dies it could be pretty nice to have something to fall back on

I don't really play CS:GO it's much more of a casual gameplay only, so I only grind Valorant and Aimlabs for about 2 months already.

4 minutes ago, whispous said:

Almost nobody makes it into the pro scene. This isn't a hero's journey movie. There's a few million players (many of whom are very very good at their chosen games) to every one pro player.

I think I know why you're asking if you have a chance here - you want validation, you want to feel like you have a real chance at becoming a pro.

You're at an age where you can learn about your interests very quickly and enjoy doing so - don't focus on becoming a pro gamer. Focus on learning about more realistic things you'd like to do for money that have real job prospects.

And keep on playing games in your spare time, trying to be the best.

Thanks for the advice bro, I'll keep this in mind.

Stay in school and use your spare time to get to the top ranks on Faceit on CSGO.

If you actually manage to do that, you may be able to join a pro team. Hell, you may even get invited.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

First with the hardware side of your question - Linus did prove (even a couple of times) that high-end hardware makes for better results. So yeah, sad as it may be, you can have all the skill in the world and still some kid or grandpa with top 0.1% rig could smash your ass with his medium-average skills (like my dad did 2 years ago when he got hooked on CS:GO at the age of 61). I play racing sims now and my rig is right in the middle of average and when we get to online races, my times are about 1.5 - 2.0 secs slower (that's the difference between top 5 / world record and 100th+ place) than the ones at private testing simply because of the FPS and frame time difference. Even bigger is the difference between playing with wheel, gamepad and keyboard and even the different tiers of wheels give different advantage. And the same goes for the first person shooters with the mouses, keyboards, motherboards, monitors sometimes even down to the very mouse pad. Once at a local tournament (about 9-10 years ago) we eliminated the best team in round 1 simply because their top player had soaked his mouse pad in cola and had to use a different one, thus rendering him below our entire team. So even with one crippled player it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Then let's get to that very skill part. Not to be a downer but as someone who was once in a professional e-sport team basically from the dawn of CS, i can tell you the difference between top 100 and top 10 is almost on a logarithmic scale and that there is A LOT MORE that happens behind scene than what you see in online ranking. Anyone with any rig and enough practice can enter top 100 in any game. To go top 50 is a bit of a challenge, for top 20 you basically need no "bad day" and top 10 is where the real stuff happens. However no game has truelly universal worldwide rank system to reflect all of its players' skill across the globe, simply because there isn't a single game that has a single world-wide server. You might think you are really good cause you are on 15th spot, then go to a tournament in another country or continent and find out you're just like a sitting duck, collecting bullets left and right. Like with any professional sport, e-sports'  competition is fierce and competing teams always keep their cards close to their chests so that's why most elite team train privately w/o sharing their scores, skills and tactics online. You won't be "invited" to a pro team out of the blue simply because of your online score. You have to choose a few, follow them online and hope that at some point they'll be looking for a new member and pray to all of the gods, you'll be good enough to take the spot. 

Last is the content creation - many have followed this path and failed (me included). If you are a girl, the road is much easier and the chances for success are much higher, but if you are a boy (which i presume you are since you are here), well better roll up your sleeves, clench your teeth and be VERY patient. It might (and probably will) take years or even a decade for you to succeed in that niche. Consistency is the key but don't be fooled into thinking it will be pure fun and joy or that it will be easy. It's not just playing games all day, you'll have to edit videos, be active on social media and all the rest of interaction with the audience business. A simple gameplay highlights edit, with an already done intro and upload to youtube can easily take up to an hour. Believe it or not, but there will be times where you'll hate gaming, simply because it will start to feel like a chore and if you haven't given up at that point (that's where i did quit) you might succeed. 

I know it's a lot to take in and most of it isn't really a good news, but you are still young. it's a myth that pro-players lose their skill with time. Your reactions might get slower (not really) but you gain something much more valuable - experience. I at the ancient age of 34 still own pretty much every Quake 2 server i can find. So for now, just enjoy gaming, interact with people and make online friends across the globe. Interact with them online, stream just casually for the fun of it and don't stress. If it's meant to be your way, it will happen. 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

Adding to above. I have not been top esports gamer, but have been interested about it. I agree that you shouldn't be like "I'm top of ranked and I hope I get noticed". There are 500 other kids like you with that dream. You are not going to get chance with just that. You have to do more than be on top of some list.

Since you are looking at team based games, first step is to get into team. Preferably something local which would enter local tournaments either online, or even LAN. Have good success in those and you get noticed by actual orgs. And if not, you get experience in team communication and tactics, to get more success or have chance to qualify for open slots in bigger tournaments.

On hardware side, yes that does have effect. But imo only on the top most level. At which point you would have already earned something from tournaments or sponsors to upgrade. Or just the old fashioned way of working part-time. For now, get what you can, turn graphical detail to minimum and focus on getting the most out of what you have.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv