Razer Viper 8khz Stiff Scroll Wheel

CosminThunde

Hi guys, i recently bought the razer viper 8khz and the scroll wheel requires too much strength to turn, is there a way i can make it smoother? like lubing it?

I love this mouse, the v2 switches are amazing, but the wheel is just getting on my nerves, and if you ask, no, i don't have weak fingers, in fact they are very strong, i am a guitarist. To add to the problem, sometimes, because the wheel is hard to turn, i accidentally click it when turning, which is very annoying, thank you for your help everyone!

Is it broken or just stiffer than you'd like? It sounds like there is some kind of defect and you should contact Razer.

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

depends, I guess the design is making it hard.

But it might be more accurate than some other mouse wheels.

If possible or knowing someone who can mod it? or exchange the mouse wheel with another type or it can just be a "bad" design as a lot of mice is quite similar or have similar issues. Unless it has a different encoder or tech in it.

If your mice is allowed or even able to take apart without breaking?

To troubleshoot or fix certain parts? Some cheap decent standard mice, sometimes do a lot better and doesn't have a design that is designed to fail.

different "fixes"

For heavier mouse wheels, it might be unbalanced and not "free flowing" back and forth, but more leaning to the side for the wheel click/button.

(the wider the wheel, the harder for some of the balanced wheel designs unless they did something to improve).

Although to fix that you might have something to push inside the mouse upwards on the side for the scroll wheel. But to fix it, it might remove the middle button or needing to press harder depending on the solution. Could also be that some grease or a lighter wheel would be nicer for that mouse or for your preference, if able to find something that it can be swapped with. This is something ifixit website could be good if they cover gaming mice teardowns and repairs. (not sure if they do or much of it)

A small forceful teardown, and hotswap switches for main buttons. (nvm it was the viper mini, not 8k)

Grease or paper for a jumping mouse, or maybe to easier scroll rotation (like with lighter scroll wheels)
https://youtu.be/PabLxFMdkKo?t=76

Spoiler

for other mice, and maybe more cases like that. to bad mouse buttons, double click, rubber buttons designed in a way that enable double clicking, jams, to degradation or bending or breaking.

Epxoy (careful) - glorious scroll wheel, issue rubber attachment to wheel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3rV1u7BOqM

4 hours ago, rickeo said:

Is it broken or just stiffer than you'd like? It sounds like there is some kind of defect and you should contact Razer.

it works just right if i really use a lot of strength, no skipping, nothing out of the ordinary, but it's very exhausting to turn it, not to mention that i sometimes manage to click it because of the extra required strength. I really have no idea of how i can mod it into a smoother wheel..

6 minutes ago, CosminThunde said:

it works just right if i really use a lot of strength, no skipping, nothing out of the ordinary, but it's very exhausting to turn it, not to mention that i sometimes manage to click it because of the extra required strength. I really have no idea of how i can mod it into a smoother wheel..

Maybe I wasn't clear. Under no circumstances should a mouse wheel require strength of exhaustion to turn. It's broken, it doesn't need to be modded to work, it needs to be replaced. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q