Need help building a CPU-beast

Henrik M
Go to solution Solved by Henrik M,

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and valuable insight.
I will inform my boss in regards to the different builds, then he can decide what we should go for.

Once everything has arrived, been installed, and we have run the program i will keep all of you informed with the outcome!

-Henrik M

Budget (including currency):  5000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: SQL and database crunching, will run a heavy program every day.

Other details: 
We are needing a computer, to run a bunch of tests, on new databases we get in every day, to confirm they are without errors and run correctly. It will do this every day, so depending on the CPU, it might run with a maxed-out CPU for an hour to a couple of hours. It will be in a server room, that is cooled so it just needs to get the heat out of the case. CPU and cooling will properly be the hardest points of this build.
RGB, glass panels etc. are of no concern as the computer will be in a server room.

We are building a fully new system, so no existing parts and no limitations in that regard.

The specs we are needing are the following:
RAM: 64GB DDR4
Storage: 512GB/1TB SSD (kind does not matter to us, since this properly won't bottleneck us anyway).
CPU: As strong as possible with a minimum of 16 cores, due to the high core count needed we are thinking something in the line of an "AMD Threadripper 3960X" but are open to suggestions.
Motherboard: It needs ethernet and a display port (Wifi would be nice but not needed).
GPU: Practically only the bare minimum to run a computer, so if it's integrated into the motherboard that should be enough (won’t run any graphic-heavy programs).

We don't need any peripherals as the computer will be connected to our KVM switch, which supports display cables.

I have built a computer before, but aren't an expert in that field.

If you somehow know where to buy rack cabinets etc, we also have a rack where it could be installed.

Thanks in advance, for all your information!
Henrik M

One more option would by using a Threadripper PRO based system, I seem to recall a rumoured plan by AMD to make a zen-3 based model soon, which can be nice.

I don't recall any motherboards with a display port for this though.

For cooling you can use this:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

1 hour ago, Henrik M said:

Storage: 512GB/1TB SSD (kind does not matter to us, since this properly won't bottleneck us anyway).

Are you running your databases on that storage? How large are those databases? I/O often can be a bottleneck.

What does the program do exactly? A single-threaded program doesn't need many cores, no?

Edit: To clarify. Depending on how the programs are coded, either 128MB or 1TB of memory is fine.

What are you verifying? If you verify integrity, maybe ECC memory is a necessity?

Edited by slowy
clarify

Is the system running multiple VM? Any particular o/s?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

8 hours ago, Henrik M said:

Budget (including currency):  5000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: SQL and database crunching, will run a heavy program every day.

Other details: 
We are needing a computer, to run a bunch of tests, on new databases we get in every day, to confirm they are without errors and run correctly. It will do this every day, so depending on the CPU, it might run with a maxed-out CPU for an hour to a couple of hours. It will be in a server room, that is cooled so it just needs to get the heat out of the case. CPU and cooling will properly be the hardest points of this build.
RGB, glass panels etc. are of no concern as the computer will be in a server room.

We are building a fully new system, so no existing parts and no limitations in that regard.

The specs we are needing are the following:
RAM: 64GB DDR4
CPU: As strong as possible with a minimum of 16 cores, due to the high core count needed we are thinking something in the line of an "AMD Threadripper 3960X" but are open to suggestions.
Motherboard: It needs ethernet and a display port (Wifi would be nice but not needed).
GPU: Practically only the bare minimum to run a computer, so if it's integrated into the motherboard that should be enough (won’t run any graphic-heavy programs).

We don't need any peripherals as the computer will be connected to our KVM switch, which supports display cables.

I have built a computer before, but aren't an expert in that field.

If you somehow know where to buy rack cabinets etc, we also have a rack where it could be installed.

Thanks in advance, for all your information!
Henrik M

This might be helpful i have no idea what your really asking.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($1343.95 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($329.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-4400 CL36 Memory  ($615.00) 
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card  ($2039.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $4773.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-04 21:04 EDT-0400

20 hours ago, brob said:

Is the system running multiple VM? Any particular o/s?

Not running any VM, and just running windows with SQL and our own code. 

19 hours ago, BLT_Sharpies said:

This might be helpful i have no idea what your really asking.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($1343.95 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($329.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-4400 CL36 Memory  ($615.00) 
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card  ($2039.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $4773.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-04 21:04 EDT-0400

Thanks for the options, though the CPU don't have enough cores for our use case.
Primarily I'm asking for almost exactly what you describe above, and is worried about cooling. Since our CPU will be running at 100% for a long period of time (will properly be multiple hours). I was uncertain if any kind of cooling would do.

Thanks for the help though :)

On 11/4/2021 at 6:07 PM, slowy said:

Are you running your databases on that storage? How large are those databases? I/O often can be a bottleneck.

What does the program do exactly? A single-threaded program doesn't need many cores, no?

Edit: To clarify. Depending on how the programs are coded, either 128MB or 1TB of memory is fine.

What are you verifying? If you verify integrity, maybe ECC memory is a necessity?

We are working with wind data, and every month we get a huge database with data. We then confirm with our program that they (the ones providing the DB), haven't added any odd or weird inputs in the DB. This is done by running scripts and code tests that confirm everything runs smoothly.

Our program are multi-threaded and are build to use all the CPU-power it can get. Even with this it still takes a long time (multiple hours).
I didn't know that storage could bottleneck it, since it has always been our CPU, but then with our budget it should be easy to have a higher focus on good storage, so thanks for the info!

On 11/4/2021 at 5:22 PM, krakek said:

One more option would by using a Threadripper PRO based system, I seem to recall a rumoured plan by AMD to make a zen-3 based model soon, which can be nice.

I don't recall any motherboards with a display port for this though.

For cooling you can use this:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3

Thanks for the info with the cooler! I don't know anything about the AMD rumor, I'm simply trying to build a server for a team at my workplace that requires a ton of CPU.

1 hour ago, Henrik M said:

Thanks for the options, though the CPU don't have enough cores for our use case.
Primarily I'm asking for almost exactly what you describe above, and is worried about cooling. Since our CPU will be running at 100% for a long period of time (will properly be multiple hours). I was uncertain if any kind of cooling would do.

1. Thanks for the help though 🙂

The i9-12900K has 16 cores, 8 of which have hyperthreading. Early reports are that it can match or beat a 5950X in some cases. Still early days, but it might be worth consulting the database engine author for its thoughts on these new asymmetric-core cpu.

The budget is sufficient to consider a Threadripper based system with ECC memory and a 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive.

SQL work is easily clustered.
Id build a stack of Thunderbolt daisy-chained clustered micro-atx.

Or you can get a ton of RPI4s and 2.5Gb USB ETHs
toss them into a 10G switch.
Parallel gonna do you better with Sequel.
sry "SQL*"

4 hours ago, Henrik M said:

We are working with wind data, and every month we get a huge database with data. We then confirm with our program that they (the ones providing the DB), haven't added any odd or weird inputs in the DB. This is done by running scripts and code tests that confirm everything runs smoothly.

Huge database... like 1TB? 20TB?

Well, double the cores doesn't necessarily mean half the time... it really depends on the use case, so that's why we need to know what your code is doing ... For instance, if you have a certain throughput with 8 cores, it could be that you get only 10% more throughput when you double the cores. Recording hardware utilization while your code is running on different systems at your workplace, if those are available, would be a good idea. What we do when we get new hardware, albeit we're getting a bit larger hardware, we get systems from different manufacturers and actually run our systems and benchmark it, and one of the metrics is transactions/$.

15 minutes ago, Henrik M said:

I didn't know that storage could bottleneck it, since it has always been our CPU

Really depends on the use case. I mean if your data set is large, over 1TB, you somehow have to read the data from storage to your memory, and 400MB/s vs 4GB/s does make a difference... But if I/O is 99% idle of the time and your CPU at 100% for several hours, more expensive storage to save few minutes doesn't make much a difference.

Have you guys also thought about running that stuff in the cloud? Google's cloud has Xeon and EPYC CPUs, and you basically have a CPU-slider, can't remember what the max is. But if you reach the max, you split the work load between projects...

Another thought would be: Having more smaller servers and distribute the work load. One day you'll reach the limit of that PC. From my experience as software engineer: Our data doubles about ever two or three years. We have systems at work that are humongous monoliths. Back ends with dozens of TBs of data, our largest server has 1TB of memory. We just throw hardware at it when we need to. But that's like earning more money within a progressive tax system. The more you earn, the less you earn.

Theoretically..

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VCf87X

-> 700$

You could build 7 of those. And get 56 cores 😛

Or even...

https://raspberrypi.dk/produkt/raspberry-pi-4-model-b-1-gb/

-> 50$. You could get 100 of those. That's 400 cores. And probably uses less energy than a threadripper 😛

On 11/6/2021 at 12:16 AM, Henrik M said:

Thanks for the info with the cooler! I don't know anything about the AMD rumor, I'm simply trying to build a server for a team at my workplace that requires a ton of CPU.

The idea here is that if you buy into the platform now you would be able to upgrade down the road.

Threadripper PRO does offer options with lots of cores and lots of the PCI-E (ie storage) and RAM expandability.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

Thanks for all the information guys, I'm not confident enough in my skills to setup a cluster of computers, even though it might be a great solution. 

I reached out to our lead developer to confirm what the code does, since I'm not familiar with how the code runs. This is what he explained:
"The code uses a number of local SQLites as input. Of those one is downloaded every day and another every 28th day. In addition to that it reads from an AWS hosted postgresql database. From all of this it will generate an SQLite file that will be uploaded to AWS."

So with a ton of data hosted in AWS, it will do a lot of calculations and then in the end create a new SQLite file for AWS. The reason we dont use AWS to do this, is CPU-power are very expensive in almost all cloud solutions we have access to. Making it cheaper to build a computer on prem. The database aren't super sensitive in regards to uptime, so it doesn't need the reliability of most server/cloud solutions. Hope this helps!

I tried building a setup with some of the feedback you guys had. And as linus says "spent some extra on the power supply".
The GPU will only run Google Earth, and are pretty much only there for display port. (but still not the worst, in case it would need to run something at some point)

If you got any feedback on the build please let me know, as there properly are a better way of doing things. It tells me it doesn't know if the cooler can be in the case, but I don't know how to confirm this. case is 230mm deep and the cooler are 165mm tall, but nothing is written on the motherboard, how much space that takes.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback and support!

Link to the build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/t2DwTJ

44 minutes ago, Henrik M said:

Thanks for all the information guys, I'm not confident enough in my skills to setup a cluster of computers, even though it might be a great solution. 

I reached out to our lead developer to confirm what the code does, since I'm not familiar with how the code runs. This is what he explained:
"The code uses a number of local SQLites as input. Of those one is downloaded every day and another every 28th day. In addition to that it reads from an AWS hosted postgresql database. From all of this it will generate an SQLite file that will be uploaded to AWS."

So with a ton of data hosted in AWS, it will do a lot of calculations and then in the end create a new SQLite file for AWS. The reason we dont use AWS to do this, is CPU-power are very expensive in almost all cloud solutions we have access to. Making it cheaper to build a computer on prem. The database aren't super sensitive in regards to uptime, so it doesn't need the reliability of most server/cloud solutions. Hope this helps!

I tried building a setup with some of the feedback you guys had. And as linus says "spent some extra on the power supply".
The GPU will only run Google Earth, and are pretty much only there for display port. (but still not the worst, in case it would need to run something at some point)

If you got any feedback on the build please let me know, as there properly are a better way of doing things. It tells me it doesn't know if the cooler can be in the case, but I don't know how to confirm this. case is 230mm deep and the cooler are 165mm tall, but nothing is written on the motherboard, how much space that takes.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback and support!

Link to the build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/t2DwTJ

The problem with that set up is that Threadripper is not a 2 channel CPU, it is a 4 channel CPU so you want atleast 4 sticks of RAM to populate memory channels.

Otherwise you are doing the equivalent of having only one stick of memory in your PC - it will work, but you are leaving a lot of memory bandwidth on the table.

I would suggest checking the QVL for the memory kit on the motherboard manufacturer website as well.

Power supply wise it seems you went too far into the overkill land, as you are clearly not planning to run multiple GPUs.

25 minutes ago, krakek said:

The problem with that set up is that Threadripper is not a 2 channel CPU, it is a 4 channel CPU so you want atleast 4 sticks of RAM to populate memory channels.

Otherwise you are doing the equivalent of having only one stick of memory in your PC - it will work, but you are leaving a lot of memory bandwidth on the table.

I would suggest checking the QVL for the memory kit on the motherboard manufacturer website as well.

Power supply wise it seems you went too far into the overkill land, as you are clearly not planning to run multiple GPUs.

Thanks for the great information! Do you know what i should look for in a power supply, as I don't know what I need to look at to find something strong, but not totally overkill.

In regards to RAM i will change it to 4 sticks of 16GB instead thanks for the headsup!

6 minutes ago, Henrik M said:

Thanks for the great information! Do you know what i should look for in a power supply, as I don't know what I need to look at to find something strong, but not totally overkill.

In regards to RAM i will change it to 4 sticks of 16GB instead thanks for the headsup!

Estimated wattage from PC parts picker is ~500. So say a 600W PSU should be fine, if you want some large breathing room in terms of power capacity, insurance against long terms power supply degradation and such an 850W PSU would probably be an overkill already for the set up that you have selected.

Unless you plan to do some sort of silly GPU set up like 3090 in SLI you don't need 1200W.

Looks nice, I bumped it up a bit:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yX8ZkX

CPU: The next better threadripper

Cooler: Maybe needs water cooling...

Mainboard: Mainly because 2.5 GBit ethernet, can't really find one with 10GBit... If network speed is not an issue, it doesn't matter.

Memory: 4x since you "need" quad channel. Not 100% sure it's the exact one on the QVL list. But imho you should get the fastest sticks that are supported by the mainboard manufacturer.

Storage: Since the board has 2x PCI 4.0 m.2 4x slots, you could run a super fast raid... but you probably don't need and if you see I/O is a problem, you can still upgrade from your chosen evo to a pro (or any faster ssd), or add another evo and setup a raid.

GPU: Found a cheaper one... but I don't know how much GPU power you actually need

Case / Fans: *giggles* ... you can always add fans later. Great thing is when it's in the server room, so noise levels aren't an issue.

PSU: General rule of thumb to be save: Watt usage * 1.5... Too much is better than too little, but if that thing is running 24/7 on 100%, picking the most suitable PSU can make a impactful difference to the electricity bill.

21 minutes ago, krakek said:

Estimated wattage from PC parts picker is ~500. So say a 600W PSU should be fine, if you want some large breathing room in terms of power capacity, insurance against long terms power supply degradation and such an 850W PSU would probably be an overkill already for the set up that you have selected.

Unless you plan to do some sort of silly GPU set up like 3090 in SLI you don't need 1200W.

Thanks again for the information. I have changed it to a 850W (was 5$ more than the 750W), then it should easily handle it.

I will read up on the QVL (and what that is), but for now i added 4 sticks of 16GB RAM.

New link below:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JbmL68

I don't think you need Threadripper and I don't think you need quad channel. 

If you're gonna have some activity that will take 1-2 hours each day,  you won't really care if a solution takes 15-30 minutes more if it's much cheaper. 

Here's a configuration that's less than $3000 : https://dk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wQphRT

PCPartPicker Part List: https://dk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wQphRT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  (5990.00kr @ Proshop) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (778.00kr @ Proshop) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard  (1199.00kr @ Proshop) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (2410.00kr @ Proshop) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (2410.00kr @ Proshop) 
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (585.00kr @ Proshop) 
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (998.00kr @ Proshop) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 710 1 GB Video Card  (574.00kr @ Dustin Home) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  (479.00kr @ Proshop) 
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 560 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (794.00kr @ Proshop) 
Total: 16217.00kr

That's around $2500 

Add a Windows server license (or regular windows 10, but check which version allows 128 GB of memory first) and the database license (ms-sql, oracle, whatever) if you don't go with mysql / postgress / other open source stuff.

CPU is powerful enough to run big databases and/or even run multiple virtual machines, each with their own memory and cpu cores allocated to them...

You get 128 GB of memory  - it's a bit lower frequency, but it's CL16 which helps when it comes to databases and random access ... and either way, 128 GB is a lot of load on the memory controller anyway,

You get one 500 GB drive for operating system and the software, and 1 TB drive strictly for databases.   Maybe add a mechanical drive and have daily backups of the databases that need to live longer than a day on that machine. 

The power supply is plenty for this system (the cpu will peak at around 180 watts and the memory will consume around 50w, and the rest won't consume more than 50w - so you're looking at around 300 peak) 

Case ... you can change to a rackable case should you want... went with that Focus G because it has nice front air intake with a couple fans so it has good air flow potential, and still has an optical drive bay should you actually need to install one. 

Motherboard is solid, very good VRM, with very good cooling, won't throttle the cpu, also supports ECC should you want to go with ECC memory  (though the non-Pro processors don't "officially" support ECC if my memory is correct)

Video card is whatever you find, it doesn't matter. 

26 minutes ago, slowy said:

Looks nice, I bumped it up a bit:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yX8ZkX

CPU: The next better threadripper

Cooler: Maybe needs water cooling...

Mainboard: Mainly because 2.5 GBit ethernet, can't really find one with 10GBit... If network speed is not an issue, it doesn't matter.

Memory: 4x since you "need" quad channel. Not 100% sure it's the exact one on the QVL list. But imho you should get the fastest sticks that are supported by the mainboard manufacturer.

Storage: Since the board has 2x PCI 4.0 m.2 4x slots, you could run a super fast raid... but you probably don't need and if you see I/O is a problem, you can still upgrade from your chosen evo to a pro (or any faster ssd), or add another evo and setup a raid.

GPU: Found a cheaper one... but I don't know how much GPU power you actually need

Case / Fans: *giggles* ... you can always add fans later. Great thing is when it's in the server room, so noise levels aren't an issue.

PSU: General rule of thumb to be save: Watt usage * 1.5... Too much is better than too little, but if that thing is running 24/7 on 100%, picking the most suitable PSU can make a impactful difference to the electricity bill.

Just because the budget is 5000USD, doesn't mean we have to spent that. I do however like your explaination on what you have changed and why.

We wont be using raid, the service can run on our normal computers if needed, it's not ideal but we can do that if something breaks down.

Thanks for the heads up with the need for 4x RAM, as i didn't no that until a short while ago.
Saw a ton of fans in your build, are you planing to remove/change all the fan in the case? Also are there a reason to change the case/fans if so i would like to know.

I don't know with the rule of the PSU: But from your guys feedback, going with a 850W should be more than enough.

39 minutes ago, Henrik M said:

Saw a ton of fans in your build, are you planing to remove/change all the fan in the case? Also are there a reason to change the case/fans if so i would like to know.

Those are industrial fans, and that's the amount that fits in the case. In the end it depends on how hot the CPU runs. If temps run fine on the standard config of your case, you don't need to slap more fans on it. Oh, and check the server room temps, nowadays they won't get cooled down to 18° because of the electricity bill 😛 - so do your load tests with the machine in the server room to make sure the thermals are right.

I also thought a bit about the architecture : The ideal case is that all your running processes/threads are kept on the CPU. So if you have like 32 cores and 10 database processes, but run 32 processes for your calculations, what happens is, that the scheduler moves your 'calculator processes' away, moves the sql lite process on the CPU, and away again. In Linux, the general rule of thumb is that your run queue shouldn't exceed amount of cores + 1, because that means that processes are waiting for CPU time, not sure how you do that on Windows. And this scheduling part needs time. It's much more complicated than that and I'm not pretending I fully understand how CPU/Memory/OS scheduling works.

That's especially true if your system is running under full load. That's why (... and other reasons like scalability) often you have your application servers or batch jobs running on a dedicated server. This really depends on your use case, but if given the resources, I would at least try to run the sql lite databases on a dedicated machine, a decent workstation/desktop with decent/sufficient ethernet connection is probably enough to try it out. Could make it worse, but maybe even adding a relatively bad machine could make your throughput much better.

22 minutes ago, slowy said:

Those are industrial fans, and that's the amount that fits in the case. In the end it depends on how hot the CPU runs. If temps run fine on the standard config of your case, you don't need to slap more fans on it. Oh, and check the server room temps, nowadays they won't get cooled down to 18° because of the electricity bill 😛 - so do your load tests with the machine in the server room to make sure the thermals are right.

The server room will of cause be cooled, but to my understanding it will be kept at 20-21C since the last few degrees are the most expensive ones.
I will give it a shot with the normal fans first, and if the CPU are running hot, then i will change the fans for some better ones. Thanks for the insight!

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

I don't think you need Threadripper and I don't think you need quad channel. 

If you're gonna have some activity that will take 1-2 hours each day,  you won't really care if a solution takes 15-30 minutes more if it's much cheaper. 

Here's a configuration that's less than $3000 : https://dk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wQphRT

PCPartPicker Part List: https://dk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wQphRT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  (5990.00kr @ Proshop) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (778.00kr @ Proshop) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard  (1199.00kr @ Proshop) 
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (585.00kr @ Proshop) 
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (998.00kr @ Proshop) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 710 1 GB Video Card  (574.00kr @ Dustin Home) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  (479.00kr @ Proshop) 
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 560 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (794.00kr @ Proshop) 
Total: 16217.00kr

That's around $2500 

Add a Windows server license (or regular windows 10, but check which version allows 128 GB of memory first) and the database license (ms-sql, oracle, whatever) if you don't go with mysql / postgress / other open source stuff.

CPU is powerful enough to run big databases and/or even run multiple virtual machines, each with their own memory and cpu cores allocated to them...

You get 128 GB of memory  - it's a bit lower frequency, but it's CL16 which helps when it comes to databases and random access ... and either way, 128 GB is a lot of load on the memory controller anyway,

You get one 500 GB drive for operating system and the software, and 1 TB drive strictly for databases.   Maybe add a mechanical drive and have daily backups of the databases that need to live longer than a day on that machine. 

The power supply is plenty for this system (the cpu will peak at around 180 watts and the memory will consume around 50w, and the rest won't consume more than 50w - so you're looking at around 300 peak) 

Case ... you can change to a rackable case should you want... went with that Focus G because it has nice front air intake with a couple fans so it has good air flow potential, and still has an optical drive bay should you actually need to install one. 

Motherboard is solid, very good VRM, with very good cooling, won't throttle the cpu, also supports ECC should you want to go with ECC memory  (though the non-Pro processors don't "officially" support ECC if my memory is correct)

Video card is whatever you find, it doesn't matter. 

Thank you very much for this. It's both super detailed, and explains why different parts are needed! I will properly go a bit stronger, since i don't know if/when the demand on the device will increase. Overall this is excatly what I'm looking for!

The new i9-12900K has a significantly higher sqlite Geekbench score than the 5950X.