Cheap cpu mining rig

Budget (including currency): pref ~5jt rp aka 330$ but absolute max ~10jt rp or 660$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mining though might convert into a personal rig if it doesnt work out

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): pref parts not abroad so less shipping costs and taxes

Basically my mom is interested in mining crypto and she kinda resparked my interest abit in crypto mining

Gpu prices are through the roof so sht like tesla k80 on ebay are now really expensive when they are only going for ~200$ a year or 2 ago so im gonna go for cpu mining instead

Platforms that im considering are 775, 1366, 2011(-3). On 775 there are xeons with 12mb L2 cache, 1366 the xeons have 12mb L3 cache but i think only 2mb L2 cache, 2011 has upto 35mb L3 cache on the 12 core cpus like e5 2651 v2, havent looked at 2011-3 that much since its pretty expensive

Are 775 xeons with 12mb L2 cache superior to 1366 xeons with 12mb L3 cache but only 2mb L2 cache? Cause for all i know cpu mining relies on cpu cache

How much does clockspeed affect mining performance? Cause i think cache speed is determined by cpu clockspeed

Also i might consider powering it with solar panels so i dont have to worry too much about power bills so basically guaranteed roi but roi is gonna take awhile

Lol no.
Mining on a 1060 6GB 20Mh/s
Mining on a CPU Ryzen 3700X 0,2Kh/s

You would need 100 000 of those CPU to even come close to a very low end GPU.
So get this out of your head, there is no CPU good enough to mine with profit.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Lol no.
Mining on a 1060 6GB 20Mh/s
Mining on a CPU Ryzen 3700X 0,2Kh/s

You would need 100 000 of those CPU to even come close to a very low end GPU.
So get this out of your head, there is no CPU good enough to mine with profit.

Looking at crypto that can only be mined with cpus .-.

6 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Looking at crypto that can only be mined with cpus .-.

Fun thing with those is that the ONLY class of cpu that is profitable for that are current gen ryzen ones due to their high performance and efficiency.

None of the platforms you listed are going to make you money. That and the profit margin is so so so small on cpu coins like nicehash it would take 5 years to break even on a used ryzen 1600 200usd motherboard ram combo thing. Which is currently the most budget friendly option to go.

So in other words don't it's by far not worth it. ALL CPUS YOU LISTED WILL LOSE YOU MONEY. They are FAR TOO POWER HUNGRY.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

So in other words don't it's by far not worth it. ALL CPUS YOU LISTED WILL LOSE YOU MONEY. They are FAR TOO POWER HUNGRY.

If i powered them with solar panels then what kind of profit can i expect?

I can find some solar panels for ~33$ which are advertised as "100wp" or whatever tf that means

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

"100wp" or whatever tf that means

A 100 wp (watt panel) refers to a solar photovoltaic module that is rated 100 watts. This means that it has a power output of up to 100 watts of DC output under optimal conditions.

Are you sure you need only one of those????

Coming back to your main question

All those CPUs that you mentioned above are significantly older and based on an "ancient architecture". It would take you ages to earn what you will spend on this rig.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If i powered them with solar panels then what kind of profit can i expect?

The profit of well if lucky with the xeon 7 cents a day ish. That computer is basically going to be dead before it ever returns a profit.

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I can find some solar panels for ~33$ which are advertised as "100wp" or whatever tf that means

Just don't bother it's not worth it but I feel like you are just wanting to do this anyways here is a long why not.

Those solar panels will be used ones and only produce 100w/h IN OPTIMAL CONDITIONS. Which means not perfectly direct harsh sunlight. Which depending on where you are is maybe 3-4hours of the day.

Now you'll need enough power so that it works ALWAYS which is not a guarantee and you need somewhere to store power so it works even when there is no sunlight. A battery pack that is decent is easily 1200$ which can get you about 1.5kw. This would be enough to run a e5 2651v2 system IF LUCKY for about 10 hours fully charged.

Now keep in mind these batteries are usually rated for about 1000 charge cycles and degrade over time so 3 years in that 10 hours can easily be only 7.

Now you also need inverters and everything so the solar energy can be converted to a power pack. A decent one is quickly 150-250$ depending on how many solar panels you need.

You also need to have the panels in a optimal position so mounting and installation cost has to be factored in too. So another 100-300 slapped on.

So basically to do it off grid would be easily 1700$ at a minimum. I am going to use a ryzen 1600 here for an example which WITHOUT ELECTRICITY COST AT THIS MOMENT (it will get worse over time) makes you 20cents a day. Now lets say the ryzen rig is 350$ so you have a investment of 2050$. 2050/0.2= 10250 DAYS before you get a return of investment. That is 28 years aka more than the return time for a solar installation. This is assuming the 1600's income stays the same which it won't it will only get worse.

So yeah it's going to take AT LEAST 30 YEARS BEFORE YOU START MAKING MONEY. It's literally more profitable to just get a solar installation for your house.

This does not include the fact that NONE of this equipment is going to last that 30 years.

So tl;dr you are never going to make money even with free electricity.

5 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

A 100 wp (watt panel) refers to a solar photovoltaic module that is rated 100 watts. This means that it has a power output of up to 100 watts of DC output under optimal conditions.

Coming back to your main question

All those CPUs that you mentioned above are significantly older and based on an "ancient architecture". It would take you ages to earn what you will spend on this rig.

I roughly calculated it. With a solar installation that is enough to charge a battery and all that crap it's 28 years at current prices with a ryzen 1600 as that already does double what e5 2561 will do.

I think the point may be that you have a PC that can mine a bit, learn some things and just enjoy a bit of mining fun 😉

Not to make money necessarily.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 minute ago, VEXICUS said:

Well shit, gotta find another way to power it i guess or spend tons on a solar system, atleast itll be multifunctional but tbh its prob not worth it just for this project

I could try stirling engines but then id have to build one, though i do have isopropyl alcohol and a liter is only 1$, too bad shipping screws me over

I could also do manual power aka just power it via a freaking bike, good for excersize but prob not gonna be very practical

Well shit ive run out of options other than the manual power one

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

The profit of well if lucky with the xeon 7 cents a day ish. That computer is basically going to be dead before it ever returns a profit.

Just don't bother it's not worth it but I feel like you are just wanting to do this anyways here is a long why not.

Those solar panels will be used ones and only produce 100w/h IN OPTIMAL CONDITIONS. Which means not perfectly direct harsh sunlight. Which depending on where you are is maybe 3-4hours of the day.

Now you'll need enough power so that it works ALWAYS which is not a guarantee and you need somewhere to store power so it works even when there is no sunlight. A battery pack that is decent is easily 1200$ which can get you about 1.5kw. This would be enough to run a e5 2651v2 system IF LUCKY for about 10 hours fully charged.

Now keep in mind these batteries are usually rated for about 1000 charge cycles and degrade over time so 3 years in that 10 hours can easily be only 7.

Now you also need inverters and everything so the solar energy can be converted to a power pack. A decent one is quickly 150-250$ depending on how many solar panels you need.

You also need to have the panels in a optimal position so mounting and installation cost has to be factored in too. So another 100-300 slapped on.

So basically to do it off grid would be easily 1700$ at a minimum. I am going to use a ryzen 1600 here for an example which WITHOUT ELECTRICITY COST AT THIS MOMENT (it will get worse over time) makes you 20cents a day. Now lets say the ryzen rig is 350$ so you have a investment of 2050$. 2050/0.2= 10250 DAYS before you get a return of investment. That is 28 years aka more than the return time for a solar installation. This is assuming the 1600's income stays the same which it won't it will only get worse.

So yeah it's going to take AT LEAST 30 YEARS BEFORE YOU START MAKING MONEY. It's literally more profitable to just get a solar installation for your house.

This does not include the fact that NONE of this equipment is going to last that 30 years.

So tl;dr you are never going to make money even with free electricity.

And this also confirms it

Guess ill just try convincing mom to fund my computer "buisness" thingy abit more so i guess should just fix a bunch of dead boards with cleaning, bga rework tools, etc. Then sell em off

Also attempt to build ultrabudget pcs but prob failing miserably at it ;-;

Welp unless anyones got some extra useful info then no point responding to this thread just to save you abit of time cause i dont think ill bother mining

5 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

I think the point may be that you have a PC that can mine a bit, learn some things and just enjoy a bit of mining fun 😉

Not to make money necessarily.

At that point i might aswell just fold

7 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Well shit, gotta find another way to power it i guess or spend tons on a solar system, atleast itll be multifunctional but tbh its prob not worth it just for this project

I could try stirling engines but then id have to build one, though i do have isopropyl alcohol and a liter is only 1$, too bad shipping screws me over

I could also do manual power aka just power it via a freaking bike, good for excersize but prob not gonna be very practical

Well shit ive run out of options other than the manual power one

And this also confirms it

Guess ill just try convincing mom to fund my computer "buisness" thingy abit more so i guess should just fix a bunch of dead boards with cleaning, bga rework tools, etc. Then sell em off

Also attempt to build ultrabudget pcs but prob failing miserably at it ;-;

Welp unless anyones got some extra useful info then no point responding to this thread just to save you abit of time cause i dont think ill bother mining

If she wants to do bitcoin stuff go do some bitcoin trading. Just remember PULL OUT THE MOMENT YOU MAKE A DECENT BIT OF PROFIT (aka 20%). Because the amount of people that just ride and die is too high :p.

7 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

At that point i might aswell just fold

Indeed better to help than to do meaningless mining. I mean there is little to learn about it. It's just set up a piece of software hit go and it's going.