Best Nas OS

Go to solution Solved by Toakan,
2 minutes ago, col01by said:

i am kind of hoping to expand my total capacity in the future after iv built the NAS

(only just read your latest reply after i posted)

Yeah no worries, I was just about to triple post and realised it would look like spam.

Here's, the manual for adding new VDEVS.
https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/storage/pools/managingpools/

image.png.d2bbd086923ddcae2c6b294d8e8590b8.png

image.thumb.png.7794e46ff6a1bc499e186484dff17115.png

Hi

im creating a home NAS / plex server but i am uncertain on what OS to use, i thought of using truenas but you cant add additional drives to an existing pool which is a downside (i have 2x3TB drives on order), is this the same with all NAS OS's or just truenas ?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I‘ll just go with ubuntu. It‘s maybe the easiest to find solutions if you get stuck. Zfs support is great.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

HOw about unraid? Super easy to use, really easy to expand, even with mixed drive sizes.

ill give it a crack, i completely forgot about unraid (and bit of a cheep skate:D)

26 minutes ago, col01by said:

ill give it a crack, i completely forgot about unraid (and bit of a cheep skate:D)

Unraid costs you money for the license.

Truenas is an alternative that is free.

i avoid omv. i see less and less people recommending it due to bugs.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

8 minutes ago, Toakan said:

Truenas is an alternative that is free.

I think in the recent Jake/Linus build a server video, they talked a lot about using Truenas.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

6 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

i avoid omv. i see less and less people recommending it due to bugs.

Whats OMV exactly ?

2 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

I think in the recent Jake/Linus build a server video, they talked a lot about using Truenas.

They did, but as someone who's been using it since U8, the only real reason you would use Unraid is if you have multiple drives of different capacities that you wanted to use; it also costs to do that, I wouldn't recommend it for a NAS setup where you want resilience.

4 minutes ago, col01by said:

Whats OMV exactly ?

Open Media Vault.

Also @col01by, you can expand the pool in TrueNAS. It's called adding a VDEV. You just need to decide how the two drives will be added, Striped or Mirrored, setup the VDEV appropriately and you're done.

5 minutes ago, Toakan said:

They did, but as someone who's been using it since U8, the only real reason you would use Unraid is if you have multiple drives of different capacities that you wanted to use; it also costs to do that, I wouldn't recommend it for a NAS setup where you want resilience.

i am kind of hoping to expand my total capacity in the future after iv built the NAS

Edited by col01by

2 minutes ago, col01by said:

Yeah no worries, I was just about to triple post and realised it would look like spam.

18 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

7 minutes ago, Toakan said:

I reckon ill use truenas, i have a tiny bit of experience with it and unraid is abit expensive.

Thanks for all the help

On 11/1/2021 at 3:03 AM, Toakan said:
On 11/1/2021 at 3:00 AM, Video Beagle said:

They did, but as someone who's been using it since U8, the only real reason you would use Unraid is if you

...I mentioned TrueNas...is TrueNas and Unraid the same thing?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

On 11/1/2021 at 5:02 AM, col01by said:

Whats OMV exactly ?

Open Media Vault

It was made by one of the TruNAS (former FreeNAS) dev who had disagreements about FreeNAS.

Andniys not that it's buggy, its just that it doesnt have the features or polish that TruNAS has (like native ZFS support).

The big advantage that OMV has is that its built on linux and you cannextendnit with docker, but at a certain point your better off with Unraid or evennjust plain Debian/CentOS (which is not dead)

I 100% recommend Unraid.
Yeah, it costs a bit of money, but it is sooo nice! I run it as a NAS, HTPC, Docker server, VM Hypervisor and GAMING PC (through VMs).

So far, it has worked flawlessly for me and support online is good... And there are the videos from SpaceinvaderOne that are the best guides on the internet!

https://www.youtube.com/c/SpaceinvaderOne

If it has been done before, I can do it...

If it has never been done, just leave me some time to find a way!

The truthful answer is DSM however you cannot (officially) run it on anything that's not a Synology product

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)