What is going to happen to the oculus quest 2?

herb

with all the stuff going on with facebook right now and the fact that oculus wont exist in a very short time, what is going to happen to the quest 2? will the rebranded oculus company under facebooks "meta" name continue support, or is it just going to become a big white paper weight?

it's just going to be a brand name change, the headsets will still work and they will still sell them, just not under the name of "oculus"

馃尣馃尣馃尣

鈼捖犫棐聽

now they want to make a meta-world.聽like thats going to happen...

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

4 minutes ago, glxph said:

Why would they even change that? I haven't heard anything about a potential name change for Oculus.

well you have been out of the loop.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

42 minutes ago, herb said:

or is it just going to become a big white paper weight?

Why would it become a paper weight just because of a branding change. Even assuming they decided to drop support and cut the servers off... You would still be able to use your Quest 2 as long as you didn't format it (and even if you do.... There's are ways around it)

You'd only lose online functionality that goes through Facebook's servers. But if you were to use it for PC VR, it would most likely work without any issues. And as for new softwares, well let just say it's android based and it is very easy to get apps for "free".

It will just become the Meta Quest 2.

https://www.vg247.com/facebook-meta-metaverse-oculus-name-change

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x聽/ GPU:Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB/ RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB聽DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus聽/ NVME: Corsair聽MP510 240GB / Case:TT Core v21聽/ PSU: Seasonic 750W聽/ OS: Win聽10 Pro

It will be renamed to "meta helmet" you will be fine...

On 10/31/2021 at 3:30 AM, TetraSky said:

It will just become the Meta Quest 2.

Well I was joking, but................聽

The direction tells you... the direction.聽

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition)聽

MSI Afterburner聽

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper聽

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity聽

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop聽

Superposition聽

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I have not used mine since the brand name change announcement but I dont see there being to much change apart from the name. I am not even sure they will highlight the name change on the device it self. Even if it did it would have a little annimation to do it.

The casual users prob would not care to much, as long as you still get to use the apps you have purchased it should be ok.

I myself am looking forwared to un linking my FB account from it. I have not once used any of the FB connections on it and will not miss it.

yeah I own the quest 1 and 2... I just created a bogus facebook account to log in, it doesn't really snoop or can't when you create a dummy facebook account...it really is a small deal not sure why so many people hate the FB login..like all things theres a way around..besides a name change I dont see even project cambria overtaking quest 2 I'm pretty sure thats XR and not VR..we will find out soon enough but I think the quest 2 is good for another 2 years, by then it will be outdated and the alternatives around 300-500 dollars will be far superior in size, quality and features.