Does Type-C DisplayPort™ work on a Thunderbolt 3 cable?

elPresidente
Go to solution Solved by Alvin853,

A Thunderbolt 3 cable is electrically compatible with a USB-C cable, they use exactly the same connectors and wiring. The TB cables have better shielding and usually thicker wire gauge on the power lines to provide charging current, which is why they're more expensive and labeled that way so consumers don't buy a cheap cable when they need TB 3 support. 

So you can use a TB 3 cable for a standard USB-C connection, TB 3 is just a protocol built on the USB-C standard. Much like you can have 100 Mbit/s, 1 Gb/s, 2.5 Gb/s or 10 Gb/s ethernet all using the same RJ45 port, but if you want to go for higher speeds, you need cable that has the proper wire gauge and shielding, a Cat 5 cable won't do 10 Gb/s, but a Cat 8 cable will always be compatible with 100 Mbit/s

Hello,

I have a MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD monitor and a ROG Strix G17 Advantage Edition G713 laptop and I would like to purchase a Thunderbolt 3 cable in order to connect them. Both the monitor and the laptop have a TypeC port which supports DP alt. mode. I would like to know if I can use a Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect them or if I need a different type of cable, like this one.

Screenshot_1.png.96963c090b504685946739b83ffdbfd4.png

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.b8718c8e1673b683f5bebd443e2c32d8.png

Thunderbolt does indeed use the USB C Port, but it's what the host and devices are decided to use and support with at the higher rated bandwith and what to do with it. https://www.displayport.org/displayport-over-usb-c/ Displayport can be transmitted over USB C, which is it's own thing. But to answer your questions, since it doesn't state it use thunderbolt, it'll just act like a usb c cable

A Thunderbolt 3 cable is electrically compatible with a USB-C cable, they use exactly the same connectors and wiring. The TB cables have better shielding and usually thicker wire gauge on the power lines to provide charging current, which is why they're more expensive and labeled that way so consumers don't buy a cheap cable when they need TB 3 support. 

So you can use a TB 3 cable for a standard USB-C connection, TB 3 is just a protocol built on the USB-C standard. Much like you can have 100 Mbit/s, 1 Gb/s, 2.5 Gb/s or 10 Gb/s ethernet all using the same RJ45 port, but if you want to go for higher speeds, you need cable that has the proper wire gauge and shielding, a Cat 5 cable won't do 10 Gb/s, but a Cat 8 cable will always be compatible with 100 Mbit/s