R5 3600 vs R7 5800

I recently bought a B550 Tomahawk and am debating a change of CPU to go with it.

Why #1...?  X470 looks like it hit end of life as far as potential for BIOS updates

Why #2...?  I would just like to have an 8-core CPU; same "why" as when I switched from a 4690K (4-cores) to an R5 3600 (6-cores) - I wanted to, I didn't need to.

I don't like feeling that "there's no point having better is you aren't gonna get the use out of it"; does EVERY owner of an 8-core or higher CPU ALWAYS use their CPU to its maximum potential?  Is the 5950X & the like largely for people who have money to spare that would otherwise be better off with a 4-core unit for what they use a 5950X for...?

I guess what I'm asking - in a way - is:

Is there currently more future (?) in a B550/5800X foundation that there is in an X470/3600 one?

Yes, I'm aware that AM5 is just around the corner, but I'm not lucky enough to be an 'early adopter' & never have been.

TIA...

EDIT

FTR - I know that once AM5 comes out AM4 machines will still be perfectly fine, hence why I'm happy to entertain B550 & 5xxx CPU's...

Edited by Eighjan

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

My htpc is a 2700x 8c 16t. It rarely gets used to its thread count potential. But that's gaming, no streaming and everyday use.

So a 5600x would be a wise choice if not being able to utilize all the threads with room to upgrade later.

The 500 chipsets will give you that new PCi-E revision and so forth, would be ideal for using big video cards.

The nice thing about the X470 is the ability to utilize any Ryzen gen cpu, but like you said, it's at end of life.... sort of. 

I do not find it a viable solution to upgrade 2700x to a 5800x at this time. Even though it would be an easy hot swap, I plan to DdR5.

So based on your thoughts about wanting and not needing, really just buy what you want because you have the budget to do so.

The 5800x (or 5600x) will have more future because it's faster and will last longer.

I wouldn't buy a motherboard with the expectation for future upgrades anyway.

If you plan to sell the 2700x to help fund the 5800x...sure why not? 

If you plan to repurpose the 2700x for something else, sure why not?

If you are going to throw the 2700x in the parts bin when you get the 5800x, don't.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

29 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

The 5800x (or 5600x) will have more future because it's faster and will last longer.

I wouldn't buy a motherboard with the expectation for future upgrades anyway.

If you plan to sell the 2700x to help fund the 5800x...sure why not? 

If you plan to repurpose the 2700x for something else, sure why not?

If you are going to throw the 2700x in the parts bin when you get the 5800x, don't.

My 'vision' was to keep the 3600 with the X470 'board as the basis for a machine 'for someone', if I get a 5800X...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 hour ago, Eighjan said:

My 'vision' was to keep the 3600 with the X470 'board as the basis for a machine 'for someone', if I get a 5800X...

yep, pretty much every upgrade for me is an upgrade for someone else in my family. Lowest system gets retired

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

11 hours ago, Eighjan said:

I recently bought a B550 Tomahawk and am debating a change of CPU to go with it.

Why #1...?  X470 looks like it hit end of life as far as potential for BIOS updates

Why #2...?  I would just like to have an 8-core CPU; same "why" as when I switched from a 4690K (4-cores) to an R5 3600 (6-cores) - I wanted to, I didn't need to.

I don't like feeling that "there's no point having better is you aren't gonna get the use out of it"; does EVERY owner of an 8-core or higher CPU ALWAYS use their CPU to its maximum potential?  Is the 5950X & the like largely for people who have money to spare that would otherwise be better off with a 4-core unit for what they use a 5950X for...?

I guess what I'm asking - in a way - is:

Is there currently more future (?) in a B550/5800X foundation that there is in an X470/3600 one?

Yes, I'm aware that AM5 is just around the corner, but I'm not lucky enough to be an 'early adopter' & never have been.

TIA...

EDIT

FTR - I know that once AM5 comes out AM4 machines will still be perfectly fine, hence why I'm happy to entertain B550 & 5xxx CPU's...

You are in the fortunate position of knowing exactly the future of both the x470 and b550. They are both at or near end of life. (no new chips - but potentially a refresh - being released) So on either, the best you are going to get is a Ryzen 5xxx. Neither board/chip combo will stop working when AM5 comes out, so don't even worry about the future. Get what you need, love it and be merry.