Is my controller input type (Dinput, Xinput) with a bluetooth adapter determined by the adaptater, the driver, other?

I have a Xbox controller (not the Series' one, the one with bluetooth that came before) and in my pc I do not have bluetooth or WiFi built-in so I've been using cable just fine to play my games. Recently I decided to buy an USB bluetooth adapter to plug on my pc and connect my controller. The controller connected but no input was registered and the Xbox Accessories app did not show the controller. After some tinkering I discovered that my controller inputs are being read as Dinputs and not Xinputs, wich is very limiting since it does not pick up the triggers.

The real question is: what determines the input from the controller being Dinput and not Xinput? Is the adapter? The drivers? Is there a software solution?

Any insight will be helpful

I'd have to guess that the bluetooth adapter is causing the issues and the controller is not being properly detected and as such is being designated as a generic direct input device and not as a xbox wireless controller with the respective HID xinput compatible drivers.

The only thing you can do is try another bluetooth adapter (not the same as what you have gotten) and see if the problem is fixed.