TI 84 Games Not Working

OmniTurbo

Hey there,

Not sure if the LTT forum is the place for this, but I'm trying to install some games on my TI 84 Plus CE calculator. I followed the instructions of several youtube videos (install TI Connect CE, download+extract game files, and upload to calculator), but to no avail. When I put in the command to run a game, I am greeted with the message "Attempted to use a variable or function where it is not valid." My basic understanding of coding tells me that the calculator does not recognize the command to run my program as anything more than some random variables.

My personal hypothesis on this is that it has something to do with my calculator being the Python version, and there could be some sort of conflict with that and the games I am trying to run. 

Any help would be appreciated.

I was actually able to solve this, conveniently with one of those youtube videos which I said didn't work. If anyone else has had a similar problem, here's the link:

pardon the unrelated question, but why would anyone wanna game on a calculator?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I'm going to assume it's because calculators are allowed in schools. Back when I was in school I was not allowed to use any other devices (ie palm pilot, etc), even during study halls, even if was to do something fairly "educational" such as read a book, or newspaper. Those types of devices were not allowed. However gaming on a calculator allowed as a alculator was allowed. I spent lots of time playing with and programming TI calculators actually due to this. 

This was many years ago though, so maybe things have changed. 

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

What else are you gonna do after you finish a math test?

Plus, back in high school, a lot of teachers wouldn't allow cell phones, but if they saw a calculator they'd assume you were doing homework.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What else are you gonna do after you finish a math test?

Leave the hall and go home to your gaming PC? 🤔 That's what I did

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Plus, back in high school, a lot of teachers wouldn't allow cell phones, but if they saw a calculator they'd assume you were doing homework.

3 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I'm going to assume it's because calculators are allowed in schools. Back when I was in school I was not allowed to use any other devices (ie palm pilot, etc), even during study halls, even if was to do something fairly "educational" such as read a book, or newspaper. Those types of devices were not allowed. However gaming on a calculator allowed as a alculator was allowed. I spent lots of time playing with and programming TI calculators actually due to this. 

This was many years ago though, so maybe things have changed. 

So, pretty much to do what you're not supposed to do

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

Leave the hall and go home to your gaming PC? 🤔 That's what I did

It's mainly for high school tests, where you're not allowed to do that. 

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

So, pretty much to do what you're not supposed to do

Basically. It's the ultimate loophole.