Need advice on testing a used GTX 770

MrP6k

So i bought a used Leadtek GTX 770, and i have 24 hours to make sure that it's fine.

I previously had a 1050ti die on me all of a sudden, it seemed fine when i got it. i tested it with unigine heaven and monitoring temps and frequency, they seemed fine, then it just died not even a week after my purchase.

so does anyone have advice on how to test every aspect of this gtx 770, so i don't have to deal with another dead gpu?

Feel free to @ me if you have any questions!
Please press the button if you think my advice was helpful! Thanks!

"Min-Maxing may not always be the best thing to do, but I will always try." - Me, 2021

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-Zotac gtx 970 (the wimpy version)
-256gb V-gen nvme ssd (@ me if you want to know how I gave my P67 board NVME support)
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

1 minute ago, Benji said:

First of all, it's a graphics card and not just a GPU.

Second of all... no, not really. Failures can occur at any point. You might buy a brand new stick of RAM, for example, and have it fail less than 72 hours after buying it. There is no test that can provoke any scenario and randomness. Either it works fine (which I would assume when it is sold in a used but in normal working condition) or it is faulty. As long as it's advertised as working perfectly fine and it works fine when you get it, there isn't that much that you an do. Anything can basically kick the bucket at any given moment.

yeah, i know that it's not the proper term for the item. it's just easier to write 3 letters compared to 12

darn, guess i just have to rely on luck then?

"Min-Maxing may not always be the best thing to do, but I will always try." - Me, 2021

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-256gb V-gen nvme ssd (@ me if you want to know how I gave my P67 board NVME support)
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

Basically yes. If it works in anything you do on a daily basis (gaming, I would assume) without having significant deviations in clock speeds or other symptoms like a crackling fan or too high temperatures, I would say it's fine to use. There is unfortunately nothing that can detect random failure besides checking if it works for what you want to do with it and see that it does it in a stable, to be expected manner. If it does it is likely to survive. So the 1050Ti might have just kicked the bucket randomly without the previous owner ever having experienced issues with it and you were just incredibly unlucky.

it is kind of hot, it can reach 80 degrees while gaming in a air conditioned room
the seal on this card is still intact so it probably need repasting

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Well, based on the cooler, that isn't unusual from what I remember. Even my 1060 6GB with the cheap dual-fan aluminium cooler (which is a graphics card with a TDP of well below the GTX 770) can reach ~75°C on occasion when it gets really taxed.

Which exact model is it that you've bought?

it's this one: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/leadtek-winfast-gtx-770-hurricane-iii.b2241
although it's tamper seal is still on, so it probably need repasting

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

I really wonder how people find such niche products. I haven't heard of Leadtek in a long time and the cooler looks like an Asus knock-off. But reading a few reviews of the GTX 770 reveals that temperatures of around 80°C are not really unusual. 75-85°C are perfectly fine.

oh also, i'm testing unigine right now and noticed that it dropped it's load all of a sudden and caused the scene to stutter. (it was the torch scene, where you go through a walkway). is this normal?image.png.3efa49f5008e27548d55167d0f6cc85e.png

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

That's based on what exactly these graphs are. I'd need to see what they are called and not just these pretty non-descript untitled graphs.

ah shit, sorry for that
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/21/10/25/2uj.png

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

I would assume that these are between the scenes because at those moments the GPU load drops as well while the clocks don't really reduce, so I'd say that it's perfectly fine. I would say that, based on the usage profile, it looks perfectly fine.

here's a longer one, it seems that the card goes idle for a few seconds for some reason
image.thumb.png.5f883cb8c988b557c017f9f80df3f3ff.png

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

Does that happen with Kombustor too?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

Just now, Benji said:

Hm... Kind of reminds me of issues with power delivery (either on the card itself or with the power supply). Do you have any other PSU or graphics card to test to see if that still happens?

i do not have any cards that needs power pins, and my psu is a corsair CX550
btw, i googled why it was being limited to 70% and people have mentioned that it was limited by voltage
when i checked with hwinfo, sure enough it was
the card was pegged at 1.2v
MSI afterburner also reported that it's limited by voltage

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

Just now, Ralf said:

i have never heard of that program, i'll download it right now

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

here's a pic of the whole unigine run, i will noe test Kombustor
image.thumb.png.12ae13f3d11f6aa1054e0e8e2dc0ab0f.pngimage.thumb.png.133bd03ed4fc0318f6ecca9db32f6e31.png

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

Uhh, kombustor is making my card go beyond 70%, rn it's at 90% and is drawing 210w

6 minutes ago, Ralf said:

9 minutes ago, Benji said:

Hm... Kind of reminds me of issues with power delivery (either on the card itself or with the power supply). Do you have any other PSU or graphics card to test to see if that still happens?

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

i was getting uncomfortable and ended the test
image.png.acd5faf9823c0dc4dde3093c7594083f.png

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

That looks pretty much like it's supposed to look from what I can tell.

I'm currently testing it again, i will send the sensor file later

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

Here it is

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

That looks pretty much like it's supposed to look from what I can tell.

image.thumb.png.c2880aed2ebf978ba3947fedc2811cd2.png

GTX 770 Kombustor 2.txt GTX 770 Kombustor.txt

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

That's just what it's supposed to look like. Neither the clock speeds nor the power draw nor the temperature are anything to worry about.

got it, so everything else's dependant on luck now then
thanks for the help!

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r