Dont know if this normal or not but tell me if it is

saba17

I know that there is IPv4 and IPv6 but dont know what this does ;DD and when i was like checking my internet i saw that i dont have IPv6 it says no internet access to IPv6 so is this normal?

36 minutes ago, sabapro17 said:

I know that there is IPv4 and IPv6 but dont know what this does ;DD and when i was like checking my internet i saw that i dont have IPv6 it says no internet access to IPv6 so is this normal?

It’s normal.  Sort of.  My understanding is ipv4 was less secure and had issues with max numbers.  IPv6 is newer and bigger. Everyone was supposed to convert to ipv6 but it didn’t happen completely.  IPv6 is so rare still that a lot of things simply don’t use it and you actually have to set up things to make ipv6 functional.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

My understanding is ipv4 was less secure and had issues with max numbers.  IPv6 is newer and bigger. Everyone was supposed to convert to ipv6 but it didn’t happen conpletely

And is it normal that on IPv6 it says no internet access?

3 hours ago, sabapro17 said:

IPv4 is what the internet was built on. Due to how it was designed there are like 4.3 IPv4 addresses. Not all are internet routable, some of them are for private networks. There are over 7 Billion people living on the planet. You can see where the short fall is. IPv6 was meant to fix that issue. As it would provide enough addresses for people have have thousands assigned to them, all being internet routable. As far back as Windows 2000 has had IPv6 support to some degree. It wasnt until recently that ISP's have started implementing it. BUT not all ISPs do. My ISP dual stacks IPv5 and 6 addresses meaning I get both. Whats sad is that we have effectively ran out of IPv4 address. Some are being recovered here and there. BUT IPv4 is at the end of its rope. 

My guess is your ISP is dragging its feet. Many ISPs are. Some have implemented CGNAT to compensate for the lack of IP addresses. Its hard to say what the future will bring, but I would assume that eventually the entire Internet will be moved to IPv6. Its just a matter of time. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, sabapro17 said:

And is it normal that on IPv6 it says no internet access?

If it’s not set up or your isp doesn’t do it. @Donut417 seems to know more about this one than me.  I suggest directing questions to him.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.