Question about Lenovo Legion 5

Go to solution Solved by porina,

I have a similar model with 5800H and 3070. On that, there is a bios option to either run in dynamic or discrete mode. Dynamic mode is the one where it runs the APU in low power situations and switches to nvidia when a higher power is needed. That mode reserves 2GB of ram for the APU. If you switch it to discrete mode, it only uses the 3070, and you don't lose 2GB of ram to the APU. Check if your model has the same option. If so, run it nvidia only and enjoy. Running the APU has too many quirks and negatives.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

As far as I know the legion 5 does not allow you to turn off the igpu and always has to have it available.

It might vary with model but mine has discrete mode, which works great and better than having the APU also enabled.

Hello,

I am looking at buying a 2021 Lenovo Legion 5, with 16GB of RAM, a Ryzen 7 5800U, and a RTX 3060 Laptop GPU. Will there be some ram allocated to the iGPU in the Ryzen 7? If so, would turning off hybrid mode or changing something in the BIOS get rid of it?

3 minutes ago, magniflcent said:

Will there be some ram allocated to the iGPU in the Ryzen 7?

If the igpu is mainly used with the dedicated graphics turning off. Turning off nvidia optimus or similar hybrid mode would pretty much solves it if available, but the feature availability really depends on laptop to laptop. And of course itll come with more heat and less battery life during medium-low loads.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

30 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

If the igpu is mainly used with the dedicated graphics turning off. Turning off nvidia optimus or similar hybrid mode would pretty much solves it if available, but the feature availability really depends on laptop to laptop. And of course itll come with more heat and less battery life during medium-low loads.

As far as I know the legion 5 does not allow you to turn off the igpu and always has to have it available.

I have a similar model with 5800H and 3070. On that, there is a bios option to either run in dynamic or discrete mode. Dynamic mode is the one where it runs the APU in low power situations and switches to nvidia when a higher power is needed. That mode reserves 2GB of ram for the APU. If you switch it to discrete mode, it only uses the 3070, and you don't lose 2GB of ram to the APU. Check if your model has the same option. If so, run it nvidia only and enjoy. Running the APU has too many quirks and negatives.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It might vary with model but mine has discrete mode, which works great and better than having the APU also enabled.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

Oh ok then the sites I looked at were wrong makes sense that it can bypass it though since it has the tech for it

4 hours ago, porina said:

I would assume it's the same, but I'd  have to check when I get it. Thank you for the help.

12 hours ago, porina said:

I have a similar model with 5800H and 3070. On that, there is a bios option to either run in dynamic or discrete mode. Dynamic mode is the one where it runs the APU in low power situations and switches to nvidia when a higher power is needed. That mode reserves 2GB of ram for the APU. If you switch it to discrete mode, it only uses the 3070, and you don't lose 2GB of ram to the APU.

To add on: You can change the APU reserved VRAM in BIOS when Hybrid mode is on, from 2GB to 512MB

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, genexis_x said:

To add on: You can change the APU reserved VRAM in BIOS when Hybrid mode is on, from 2GB to 512MB

Yes, but the bios explicitly warns you against doing that. IMO the problems introduced by being in dynamic mode just makes discrete mode make much more sense, at least for my use case where the laptop is run off power most of the time and battery life is not a major concern.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

dynamic mode

Optimus/MSHybrid has been buggy since day 1.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128