Noob mistake 😪😪

Greetings guys , I'm new here  , i accidentally turned my 1tb external hard drive worth of 15 years of data and files to a bootable USB (windows 11😑) without knowing what would.happen if i did so , and I'm panicking right now 😭😱 , is there any way i can  revert it back to it's normal capacity  , and most importantly recover my files 😔 thank you !

Plug it off, and probably just hope that data recovery service can recover the data for you.

I wouldn't even risk to DIY it if that data is important enough.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

You can definitely get back to its normal capacity through the partition manager in Windows, you just need to reformat the drive.

As for the files, that's a bit more tricky. There are pieces of software out there that can recover files as long as tey haven't been too overwritten, but they're always a crapshoot as to whether they'll actually work. A quick google search says that Recuva could do what you want, so it's worth a try.

35 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Plug it off, and probably just hope that data recovery service can recover the data for you.

I wouldn't even risk to DIY it if that data is important enough.

Im an interior architect , I've been working on projects and freelance for the past years , and my external is the holy grails of files 🥲

36 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You can definitely get back to its normal capacity through the partition manager in Windows, you just need to reformat the drive.

As for the files, that's a bit more tricky. There are pieces of software out there that can recover files as long as tey haven't been too overwritten, but they're always a crapshoot as to whether they'll actually work. A quick google search says that Recuva could do what you want, so it's worth a try.

Thank you for your reply , but i feel like all the online softwares out there are all gimmicky and would not really do anything! I will send it to a repair shop and hopefully they can recover everything 🙏 

1 hour ago, salehelio said:

i feel like all the online softwares out there are all gimmicky

I use R-Studio Data Recovery, it worked for me. Just make sure you do not do any other unnecessary write to the drive to prevent further loses.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

I use R-Studio Data Recovery, it worked for me. Just make sure you do not do any other unnecessary write to the drive to prevent further loses.

You mean after rearranging the partition , i use R-Studio ? Or its built in the software everything?

13 minutes ago, salehelio said:

You mean after rearranging the partition , i use R-Studio ? Or its built in the software everything?

No need, R-Studio will automatically try to detect your HDD past partition configurations.
Don't do anything to the drive anymore or you chances to recover these files will be lesser. 

Some data might be unrecoverable because it already overlapped with new data. 

Also make sure to recover the files to a different drive. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

If it's really important just don't attempt to DIY, go to a professional with a good track record. 

And you've hopefully learned by now that you never store anything important on a single drive, you need backup copies. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2