Problem with new gpu

Mike9

I recently purchased an RTX 3080 ti and a ryzen 9 9500x. After installing both of them at the same time the pc booted up fine and went into bios. I then decided to overclock the cpu and ram with the tool present in my bios. However, after the tool was finished overclocking my cpu and ram there was no display on my monitor and I had a white vga light showing on my motherboard. 

Due to this I decided to reseat the graphics card and made sure that all the pins were properly connected. I then restarted the PC but ran into the same problem (no display and white vga light on the motherboard). But the thing is that the rgb on the graphics card was working without a problem plus all my other components were functioning fine. 

Following this I replaced my new graphics card with my old graphics card (RTX 2080 super). This worked and my pc turned on without a problem. Then I proceeded to open my bios and return to default setting (reverting the oc). Plugged my RTX 3080 ti in and it worked. No white vga light and it booted up fine. I then continued to use my RTX 3080 ti without running into any problems. 

My question is why did I have no display and a white vga light on my motherboard with my RTX 3080 ti but not my RTX 2080 super? If anyone can answer this I will be grateful. 

specs:

ryzen 9 5900x

rtx 3080 ti gigabyte Vision oc 

Asus rog strix B450-f gaming ii 

16gb Corsair ram 3200mhz

corsair RM750x 

It's possible that it's NOT because you switched GPU that it worked again - it may have reverted or toned down some of your OC changes after multiple restarts.

You basically got lucky and a stable enough oc to get into the bios with the 2080 not being a card that has power spikes.

But you don't even need to do all of this to get back from a bad oc. Most boards have cmos reset pins or even a button on the board. Worst case you take out that battery and boom bios back to default settings.

4 hours ago, Mike9 said:

Asus rog strix B450-f gaming ii 

Why did you get a cheap B450 motherboard (previous gen. chipset) for a high end, latest gen, system?

If you havent already try updating the BIOS to the latest stable version.

Since your GPU is PCIe gen 4 and your motherboard dont support it, try setting the PCIe slot manually to gen 3 in stead of auto 

4 hours ago, Mike9 said:

and a ryzen 9 9500x.

I assume you meant the r9 5900X 😉

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

40 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Why did you get a cheap B450 motherboard (previous gen. chipset) for a high end, latest gen, system?

If you havent already try updating the BIOS to the latest stable version.

Since your GPU is PCIe gen 4 and your motherboard dont support it, try setting the PCIe slot manually to gen 3 in stead of auto 

I assume you meant the r9 5900X 😉

I didn’t change the motherboard because I just didn’t really think it would have an impact. Thanks I will try updating my bios and setting PCIe to gen 3. And yeah I did mean r9 5900x my bad 😂

4 hours ago, broccoli27 said:

Have you tried a "mild" OC?

Tbh it was like an automatic oc. What I mean by that is that in my bios I have a setting where the motherboard detects how much the cpu and ram can be overclocked and does all the work for you. I have enabled xmp on my ram sticks now and there are no problems so far. Now I will try messing around with my cpu and see what happens 

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

You basically got lucky and a stable enough oc to get into the bios with the 2080 not being a card that has power spikes.

But you don't even need to do all of this to get back from a bad oc. Most boards have cmos reset pins or even a button on the board. Worst case you take out that battery and boom bios back to default settings.

So could it be due to my power supply not being strong enough? It is only an RM750X and I was wondering wether or not I should replace it. 

46 minutes ago, Mike9 said:

So could it be due to my power supply not being strong enough? It is only an RM750X and I was wondering wether or not I should replace it. 

Yeah possibly. But this is also most likely not a stable oc at all.

33 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah possibly. But this is also most likely not a stable oc at all.

Ahh I see ok thanks