Pump Noise for Lian Li Galahad ?

Hi. I am very interested in the Lian Li Galahad 240mm, but I heard in a Gamer's Nexus video that there is a noticeable pump whine, as well as several Reddit posts about it. I am curious is that a really loud noise or is it relative to the listener. I am curious if anyone has either the 240 mm or the 360 mm if they faced that issue, and if they did, could they make a recording of said noise so I can hear it for myself. I want to hear if it is something I can live with. Also did anyone have that issue and was able to solve it? Thanks in advance.

31 minutes ago, ahmedshaltout said:

Hi. I am very interested in the Lian Li Galahad 240mm, but I heard in a Gamer's Nexus video that there is a noticeable pump whine, as well as several Reddit posts about it. I am curious is that a really loud noise or is it relative to the listener. I am curious if anyone has either the 240 mm or the 360 mm if they faced that issue, and if they did, could they make a recording of said noise so I can hear it for myself. I want to hear if it is something I can live with. Also did anyone have that issue and was able to solve it? Thanks in advance.

The Galahad pump indeed makes a noticeable noise at full speed, not very loud, but if you're going for silent operation you'll notice it.

Connect it to a fan-header on the mainboard that has DC (not PWM) speed control. I set mine to 66% fixed speed on the pump, and it's pretty much silent. Cooling performance doesn't seem to be affected, at least on my 240 unit the radiator is the limiting factor. If you're going for maximum cooling, you'll need to run the fans faster, and then the fan noise is already louder than the pump at 100%. 

I can try doing a recording later, but I have no idea how well the recording would represent the noise... If I tried to describe the sound it makes, it reminds me of a warning siren far in the distance, or maybe someone playing with their RC car toy in the next room

1 hour ago, rickeo said:

You might be interested in this posters problem. 

Thank you. That was helpful. At least now i have a rough idea how the default sound profile is like.

42 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

The Galahad pump indeed makes a noticeable noise at full speed, not very loud, but if you're going for silent operation you'll notice it.

Connect it to a fan-header on the mainboard that has DC (not PWM) speed control. I set mine to 66% fixed speed on the pump, and it's pretty much silent. Cooling performance doesn't seem to be affected, at least on my 240 unit the radiator is the limiting factor. If you're going for maximum cooling, you'll need to run the fans faster, and then the fan noise is already louder than the pump at 100%. 

I can try doing a recording later, but I have no idea how well the recording would represent the noise... If I tried to describe the sound it makes, it reminds me of a warning siren far in the distance, or maybe someone playing with their RC car toy in the next room

This also is very useful info. The thing is, I feel the 240 mm Gallahad is a great deal and has good performance from my research, but I am concerned that the pump noise drives me crazy. The fact that you say there is an option to make it silent is reassuring. So according to what you said the pump header is PWM by default but you can put it on a 3pin header instead and limit the pump speed? Where did you limit it from if you don't mind me asking. I am still going to buy the new PC so i am not sure where the controls would be from. Is it from the BIOS? Gamer's nexus said he limited the speed by decreasing the voltage going to the fan. Do the options to limit the speed differ from one setup to another?

Thanks in advance. All this information is helpful so i can see if I would get the Gallahad then manually fix the pump noise or try a different brand.

3 minutes ago, ahmedshaltout said:

So according to what you said the pump header is PWM by default but you can put it on a 3pin header instead and limit the pump speed? Where did you limit it from if you don't mind me asking. I am still going to buy the new PC so i am not sure where the controls would be from. Is it from the BIOS? Gamer's nexus said he limited the speed by decreasing the voltage going to the fan. Do the options to limit the speed differ from one setup to another?

The pump connector of the Galahad pump is a 3-pin fan plug, so it won't receive a PWM signal. You can put it on a 4-pin header, but the PWM signal won't be connected. Some mainboards have a dedicated "pump header", which really is no different than a regular fan header, but I think it can deliver more power. The pump will also work on any standard fan header, the power for the RGB comes via RGB cable and not the pump connector, just don't use any splitters to connect additional fans to the same header. 

Decreasing the voltage is what DC fan control does. I have an MSI board, in my BIOS I can switch each fan header between PWM or DC mode. In PWM mode, the pump will always run full speed, because the PWM signal doesn't make it to the pump. In DC mode, the speed of the pump is reduced by the lower voltage. I could set it in BIOS to 66% (or 7.92V, which is 66% of 12V), but I'm using a fan control software in Windows, so the only thing I did in BIOS was to switch the header to DC mode, and then I can set the speed in software. 

Hey, the post that was linked here is mine.The sound was bad in the video, reallife is worst.

But just you know, I contacted lian li and they gonna replace it, so probbably that is not the default sound.

BUT, if it is, it is realy distracting at night in idle (if you are just browsing and stuff), I thought was MB or ram. If you are playing music you not gonna notice it, but once you are in a quite ambient, it is really annoying. Then sound of the fan are a symphony compared to it. 

I didnt try what the person above recommended, but pumps in general should be able to run at 100% all the time with no problems.  

7 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

The pump connector of the Galahad pump is a 3-pin fan plug, so it won't receive a PWM signal. You can put it on a 4-pin header, but the PWM signal won't be connected. Some mainboards have a dedicated "pump header", which really is no different than a regular fan header, but I think it can deliver more power. The pump will also work on any standard fan header, the power for the RGB comes via RGB cable and not the pump connector, just don't use any splitters to connect additional fans to the same header. 

Decreasing the voltage is what DC fan control does. I have an MSI board, in my BIOS I can switch each fan header between PWM or DC mode. In PWM mode, the pump will always run full speed, because the PWM signal doesn't make it to the pump. In DC mode, the speed of the pump is reduced by the lower voltage. I could set it in BIOS to 66% (or 7.92V, which is 66% of 12V), but I'm using a fan control software in Windows, so the only thing I did in BIOS was to switch the header to DC mode, and then I can set the speed in software. 

Thank you for this clear and precise info. i will keep it in mind

4 hours ago, tribum3 said:

Hey, the post that was linked here is mine.The sound was bad in the video, reallife is worst.

But just you know, I contacted lian li and they gonna replace it, so probbably that is not the default sound.

BUT, if it is, it is realy distracting at night in idle (if you are just browsing and stuff), I thought was MB or ram. If you are playing music you not gonna notice it, but once you are in a quite ambient, it is really annoying. Then sound of the fan are a symphony compared to it. 

I didnt try what the person above recommended, but pumps in general should be able to run at 100% all the time with no problems.  

Thank you so much for sending this. Could you update us once you receive the new unit from Lian-li whether it sounds different or still sounds the same? ❤️