New Ultrawide from LG 34WP60C-B 160hz 3440x1440 5ms gtg. A steal? little information online.

Sphio

Hi, 

As I am in the market for a new monitor and seeing as the best displays are a little on the pricier side I have been quietly been awaiting the release of new panels and models.

Recently the following model caught my eye.

https://www.lg.com/jp/monitor/lg-34wp60c-b 

This seem to be a new model from LG, an ultrawide with a VA panel and with an impressive refreshrate for the price.

Currently it is going for 57000 JPY which is around 500 USD. 

I noticed the gtg is at 5ms which is not great, but overall at a glance. taking the makers marketing info as the only input, it seems like a steal?

The brightness seem to be at 300 nits as well which may be a little low? considering HDR etc.

I haven't found any critical reviews of the display beyond unboxings.

Any input would be very helpful.

Perhaps the display has a different product code outside of Japan

*note: I live in Japan*

PC: 4k screen, 3080ti and 5900x. 32gb ram @ 3600mhz. 850w psu

16 minutes ago, Sphio said:

Hi, 

As I am in the market for a new monitor and seeing as the best displays are a little on the pricier side I have been quietly been awaiting the release of new panels and models.

Recently the following model caught my eye.

https://www.lg.com/jp/monitor/lg-34wp60c-b 

This seem to be a new model from LG, an ultrawide with a VA panel and with an impressive refreshrate for the price.

I noticed the gtg is at 5ms which is not great, but overall at a glance taking the makers marketing info as the only input it seems like a steal?

The brightness seem to be at 300 nits as well which may be a little low? considering HDR etc.

Perhaps the display has a different product code outside of Japan?

it looks like a japan exclusive? i tried searching up the model but nothing but japanese sites

Main:

• CPU
    10700k 5ghz All core 47 ring ratio 1.275v
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z590 A Pro
  • RAM
    4x8 viper steel samsung bdie: 4200-17-17-30
  • GPU
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming Oc
  • Case
    O11 air mini
  • Storage
    970 Evo Plus 500gb OS, Sn550 1tb, 860 evo 500gb, 2tb MX500
  • PSU
    RM750x (2018)
  • Display(s)
    Acer Nitro vg272up, Kogan 24 1080 120hz
  • Cooling
    arctic 280aio, EK M.2 NVMe Heatsink on 970 evo plus

Second: 
    Cpu: i5-8400
    Cooling: ID-Cooling Frostflow 120x
    Ram: 2x8gb 2666 c16 hyperx fury, tuned the absolute balls out of it but def not stehble.
    Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-K
    Gpu: Igpu
    Case: Coolermaster MB311L

40 minutes ago, Sphio said:

I noticed the gtg is at 5ms which is not great, but overall at a glance taking the makers marketing info as the only input it seems like a steal?

Price is as expected from a mid-range VA panel. Brightness at 300 nits is more than enough for SDR content, even in brightly lit rooms. But there is realistically no HDR support whatsoever apart from the monitor being able to accept an HDR signal. With 300 nits and no local dimming there is no HDR capability period. But that's expected in this price class. Real HDR displays sit easily over $1000, HDR ultrawides even over $2000.

40 minutes ago, Sphio said:

Perhaps the display has a different product code outside of Japan

*note: I live in Japan*

Tbh i'd just don't bother then. Entry-level to mid-range VA panels can really vary a lot in terms of performance. There are decent models and there are absolutely terrible ones. For $500 there are plenty of known good mid-range VA ultrawides. No reason for you to take the risk and get a potentially bad monitor for the money. The AOC CU34G2X is a well reviewed option for example.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

51 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Price is as expected from a mid-range VA panel. Brightness at 300 nits is more than enough for SDR content, even in brightly lit rooms. But there is realistically no HDR support whatsoever apart from the monitor being able to accept an HDR signal. With 300 nits and no local dimming there is no HDR capability period. But that's expected in this price class. Real HDR displays sit easily over $1000, HDR ultrawides even over $2000.

Tbh i'd just don't bother then. Entry-level to mid-range VA panels can really vary a lot in terms of performance. There are decent models and there are absolutely terrible ones. For $500 there are plenty of known good mid-range VA ultrawides. No reason for you to take the risk and get a potentially bad monitor for the money. The AOC CU34G2X is a well reviewed option for example.

I see, 

Thank you for your input.

I have been looking around, but unfortunately all the ultra-wides that I have seen have light bleeding from the edges and the IPS displays have the IPS glow issue and poor contrast.

Which is why I have been looking for a solid VA panel.

The Samsungs are not really sold in Japan though, and from what I can tell the QA seem to be having issues. (besides 1000R curve is too much)

No real idea where to go for this.

3 hours ago, Sphio said:

I see, 

Thank you for your input.

I have been looking around, but unfortunately all the ultra-wides that I have seen have light bleeding from the edges and the IPS displays have the IPS glow issue and poor contrast.

Which is why I have been looking for a solid VA panel.

The Samsungs are not really sold in Japan though, and from what I can tell the QA seem to be having issues. (besides 1000R curve is too much)

No real idea where to go for this.

Generally most VA panels are made by samsung either way and there is no VA panel that is immune or resistant to backlight bleed. That's entirely dependant on your luck with the unit you receive.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Not worried about producer, but samsung just doesnt sell their first party monitors or TVs in Japan. 

I am concerned about backlight bleed though, it is just so noticeable. I am guessing it is more common on curved displays?

I guess finding a solid contrast ratio, high refresh ultrawide panel with good black uniformity is really hard.

Kind of crazy that a 4k Oled TV at 55 or even 65 inches which performs better is cheaper than the top 1440p ultrawides.

19 hours ago, Sphio said:

Not worried about producer, but samsung just doesnt sell their first party monitors or TVs in Japan. 

I am concerned about backlight bleed though, it is just so noticeable. I am guessing it is more common on curved displays?

I guess finding a solid contrast ratio, high refresh ultrawide panel with good black uniformity is really hard.

Kind of crazy that a 4k Oled TV at 55 or even 65 inches which performs better is cheaper than the top 1440p ultrawides.

Objectively there is no LCD backlit display with good black uniformity. There will always be some backlight bleed (and IPS glow for IPS monitors) unless you either have self-emissing pixels (OLED, MicroLED) or a FALD (full array local dimming) backlight. If you want good black uniformity you will need to be able to turn off the backlight where it isn't needed.

VA, IPS, curved, flat all doesn't matter. The amount of backlight bleed you'll get in your unit is completely up to random chance. Even if a reviewer says their unit is good, you could order the same monitor and receive a horrible one. Or a review unit is bad but your monitor is great. Like i said: Random chance.