How can we define MBR?

generalpy

I was studying partitioning for Comptia A+ using Mike Meyers' course and I am stuck on MBR. So how can we define MBR? Is it a partition type or is it a partition itself?

The master boot record is a specific sector of the disk that is read by the BIOS/UEFI to determine where to boot from.

So it's not a partition as such, nor is it tied to any partition. It's simply a well defined region of the disk where boot records are located.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

AFAIK MBR is a boot sector (some call it boot loader), it's not a partition type which like fat32, ntfs, hfs+ etc.

It sorta like a receptionist at a hotel, which has all the rooms inventory (partitions) and your room location (bootable OS).

MBR has a limit of 2TB of a single partition with maximum of 4 primary partitions, GPT solved this problem by allowing infinite number of partitions (as high as the OS allows) with no size restrictions.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

22 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The master boot record is a specific sector of the disk that is read by the BIOS/UEFI to determine where to boot from.

So it's not a partition as such, nor is it tied to any partition. It's simply a well defined region of the disk where boot records are located.

To add on this - MBR contains the partition table of the disk, which includes

- boot records, meaning where on the disk are the OS boot files (1 or more partitions).

- what other partitions are on the disk

Every disk has it's own MBR. You can also have a drive without any boot records, but it still has an MBR to save the partition table information.

An alternative to MBR is GPT - GUID Partition Table.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

MBR is not a partition, its technical definition is as boot sector and its a the space contained on the very first sector (sector 0) of a drive, it is hardware reserved meaning it cannot be used for other purposes

MBR and bootloader are not the same thing, a bootloader is a piece of code that lives inside the MBR region of the disc along with partition layout data for primary and extended partitions.

Traditional MBR uses exactly 512k (which is one sector of a platter) and is divided into 4 sections, the first 446 bytes are where the bootloader lives, there are 4 x 16 byte sections, one for each possible partition and a 2 byte section left for signing the bootloader code. On later drives this changed to 4096k since that's what platter sectors changed too however even on 4096k sector drives the MBR still only uses 512k.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)