Is it worth going from 10700F to a 11700k?

Ganks

I bought my first PC instead of building earlier this year, mainly because there was no other way to get a GPU. The prebuilt came with a 10700F and very basic gaming mobo (Gigabyte B460m DS3H) & RTX 3070. I'm unable to update bios so I can't take advantage of the new technologies like resizable bar, apparently because the mobo name was modified by some company they buy the mobos off & the gigabyte software won't allow updating. I know updating bios is not going to make a huge difference in performance but just something that irks me. The 10700F doesn't come with integrated graphics, i can't overclock it and my guess is that it doesn't help with gaming/graphical performance. I'm going to need a new mobo anyway for an extra M.2 SSD Slot. Is the performance of the 11700k worth the upgrade instead of getting a mobo for the 10700F?

If you're just gaming, the 11700K and 10700F are basically equivalent. You wouldn't notice a meaningful uplift by switching. In fact, in some games, the 10700F performs better than the 11700K, because of architectural differences. The two trade blows - neither really wins in gaming performance.

32 minutes ago, Ganks said:

Gigabyte B460m DS3H

You can't upgrade to 11700 because B460 does not support 11th gen CPU's. And no, it's not worth it. Wait for Alder lake nxt month.

I know thats what i was wondering, going to need a new mobo anyway with 2x M.2 slots. Is adler lake coming out anytime soon? what about 11900k?

50 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If you're just gaming, the 11700K and 10700F are basically equivalent. You wouldn't notice a meaningful uplift by switching. In fact, in some games, the 10700F performs better than the 11700K, because of architectural differences. The two trade blows - neither really wins in gaming performance.

Not strictly gaming, I use Solidworks/Autodesk as well & do multitasking. Nothing crazy though. I do need to change my mobo though for sure. 11900k good upgrade or wait for adler lake?

39 minutes ago, Ganks said:

Not strictly gaming, I use Solidworks/Autodesk as well & do multitasking. Nothing crazy though. I do need to change my mobo though for sure. 11900k good upgrade or wait for adler lake?

The 11900K is just a binned 11700K - they're basically identical in terms of performance. The 11900K is not worth the money regardless of what you're coming from. It is outrageously overpriced. To quote Gamers Nexus, "If the 11700K is a waste of sand that could've been on the beach, the 11900K is a waste of sand that could've been in swimwear - it's that bad."

I'd just wait for Alder Lake at this point. Rocket Lake has nothing to offer you beyond minor improvements.

The system you have right now is a good one. The 10700F is a solid CPU and not something you should be rushing to upgrade from in 2021 unless you are finding that it doesn't meet your day-to-day needs. And at the moment, if you did need more CPU power, only AMD could offer you a true upgrade with a 3900X, 3950X, 5900X, or 5950X. Any other non-HEDT CPU is at best an incremental improvement compared to the 10700F.