Which is better performing RAM config, 16GB+8GB, or 8GB+8GB?

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

If you exceed the 16GB capacity, then the 24GB config would be faster, even if it defaulted to single-channel rather than the hybrid channel mode that some systems are capable of these days (where it runs in dual-channel mode until you max out the smaller stick). However, if it does default to single-channel with 24GB then the 16GB config will be faster in any workload where you don't touch the page file by exceeding 16GB.

However, since you're already using single-channel RAM, you wouldn't notice a performance regression at least, because the worst case scenario is that you end up with the same RAM bandwidth as you have right now, just with boosted capacity, as if you had a single 24GB stick.

Of course, all of this assumes that the sticks actually work and don't have a compatibility issue with the RAM currently installed.

My work laptop has 8GB soldered RAM. Let me say it's not enough. I already ordered another 8GB stick, since it supports one user-replaceable RAM. But, my laptop supports up to 32GB.

It's a brand new Lenovo E15 laptop (with 11th gen i5). I have to use this because they have employee monitoring set up on the computer, I can't set it up myself on my far more powerful desktop. I can however upgrade the RAM. And to upgrade the video output, I got a really nice hub that supports 2x 4k or 2x 2k at 165Hz. Just what I needed. It's running really smoothly.

I will be using it to run salesforce, various apps like Teams, Outlook, Word, etc, and with the company VPN, and sometimes OBS recording the screen, and running two 2K 165Hz 32" monitors, powered via an external hub.

I will never be gaming on this.

Even with only a few apps open, granted one of those is OBS recording the screen over Zoom video chat, I'm running out of memory several times a day and sitting at over 90% RAM utilization. 8GB might suffice, but more of course is better.

The problem is that if you run an 8GB and 16GB RAM, then it won't word in dual channel mode, it will work in slower single channel mode. Thing is, I'm not sure just now much slower that is. It is DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, so it's not slow by any means.

516gUii9kML._SX180_.jpg

Price isn't an issue. $72 or $36 makes no difference to me. What matters to me is the performance of the laptop.

Which will be better for my use?
  • adding an 8GB stick that runs at dual faster channel mode (total 16GB),
  • or adding a 16GB stick at the slower mode (24GB)?

<-- Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory -->

Please be sure to select the appropriate subforum for your questions/threads. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

If you exceed the 16GB capacity, then the 24GB config would be faster, even if it defaulted to single-channel rather than the hybrid channel mode that some systems are capable of these days (where it runs in dual-channel mode until you max out the smaller stick). However, if it does default to single-channel with 24GB then the 16GB config will be faster in any workload where you don't touch the page file by exceeding 16GB.

However, since you're already using single-channel RAM, you wouldn't notice a performance regression at least, because the worst case scenario is that you end up with the same RAM bandwidth as you have right now, just with boosted capacity, as if you had a single 24GB stick.

Of course, all of this assumes that the sticks actually work and don't have a compatibility issue with the RAM currently installed.

When you have 2 sticks one 8GB and the other 16GB with all the other specs being the same you still run in dual channel mode. Its only that the after the first 8GB of the 16 GB module is used you would run in single channel. 

For your use case I would suggest going with the 24GB of ram since it also gives some overhead for more applications/intensive tasks that you might later use.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

12 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Thank you. How can I find out if the laptop (E15 latest model) supports this hybrid mode? I didn't know about the hybrid mode.

4 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

When you have 2 sticks one 8GB and the other 16GB with all the other specs being the same you still run in dual channel mode. Its only that the after the first 8GB of the 16 GB module is used you would run in single channel. 

For your use case I would suggest going with the 24GB of ram since it also gives some overhead for more applications/intensive tasks that you might later use.

Are you sure this is the case? The other guy suggested it might do that or might default to single mode. How can I know?

13 minutes ago, asdasdfasdf said:

Thank you. How can I find out if the laptop (E15 latest model) supports this hybrid mode? I didn't know about the hybrid mode.

I suppose you could try contacting Lenovo to see if they could tell you. Otherwise, you could see if you can find any reports of other users who have upgraded that model in this manner and reported what the result was.

Apparently there's a "flex mode" for RAM which utilizes it how you said, but the info I found on it was from a decade ago and not relevant anymore because hardware changes so much. So, hoping someone knows more. It would not be easy to contact lenovo about the issue, and even if I did, getting to a tech support, and finding someone who actually knows something, will be a lot harder if not impossible vs someone on here who already knows the answer.

The hybrid stuff ... It's a feature of the memory controller inside the CPU  ... so if the CPU supports it. then it works. Modern CPUs have it.

BUT.. I guess it could be restricted or limited in some way through bios therefore the motherboard. Easiest would be to just try if you have a stick available.

17 minutes ago, asdasdfasdf said:

It's related to the CPU, and all of modern Intel CPUs support flex mode: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html#flex

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Just now, mariushm said:

The hybrid stuff ... It's a feature of the memory controller inside the CPU  ... so if the CPU supports it. then it works. 

BUT.. I guess it could be restricted or limited in some way through bios therefore the motherboard. Easiest would be to just try if you have a stick available.

I could buy both. How would I test it?

4 minutes ago, igormp said:

It's related to the CPU, and all of modern Intel CPUs support flex mode: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html#flex

Awesome. I will order a 16GB module too. Do you think I should cancel the 8GB (which hasn't been shipped yet) or just get it delivered to test out which is better?

Guys, thanks so much, and thanks for the link @igormp. I didn't know about that hybrid mode, and I see it basically works in dual channel for the first 16gb, and then another 8gb overhead in single channel, but it's better than having nothing overhead in case I use more RAM.

Also I watched a video about single vs dual channel memory (it did not address the flex mode, only a single stick), and while there was a big difference in FPS in gaming, there was no difference when it came to CPU intensive applications. So, even the last 8gb in single mode would probably not matter for my use.

But the big thing I realized, is that with my PC's 1x 8gb RAM installed, even that low amount of memory is in slower single-channel mode. So it will be a huge upgrade to increase to 16gb dual channel+another extra 8gb ram for a total of 24gb.

I ordered the 16gb stick to add to my system.

Thanks for the help guys!

10 minutes ago, asdasdfasdf said:

Awesome. I will order a 16GB module too. Do you think I should cancel the 8GB (which hasn't been shipped yet) or just get it delivered to test out which is better?

Idk, I wouldn't waste my time trying to return another module later on and would just cancel, but if you want to be certain about the performance and don't returning another module later on, that's up to you.

Anyhow, the performance penalty from filling you ram and having to use swap/pagefile is WAY worse than having your stick running in single-channel instead of dual-channel.

I always vouch for more ram, no matter the speed, because you can always have more stuff open (such as chrome tabs, slack, teams and whatnot) and not worry about hitting the swap area, which is a great thing for productivity.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I'd do whatever your IT department is willing to install and let them install it.

No way I'm opening up the guts of a work computer.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

On 10/14/2021 at 11:00 AM, Mister Woof said:

I'd do whatever your IT department is willing to install and let them install it.

No way I'm opening up the guts of a work computer.

You mean mail it back to my company? LOL I work remotely. Anyway too late I already installed it.

On 10/13/2021 at 6:47 PM, igormp said:

Idk, I wouldn't waste my time trying to return another module later on and would just cancel, but if you want to be certain about the performance and don't returning another module later on, that's up to you.

Anyhow, the performance penalty from filling you ram and having to use swap/pagefile is WAY worse than having your stick running in single-channel instead of dual-channel.

I always vouch for more ram, no matter the speed, because you can always have more stuff open (such as chrome tabs, slack, teams and whatnot) and not worry about hitting the swap area, which is a great thing for productivity.

I cancelled the 8gb order which was still another week out from a 3rd party. ordered the 16gb and already received with prime 2 day delivery and already installed.

3 minutes ago, asdasdfasdf said:

You mean mail it back to my company? LOL I work remotely. Anyway too late I already installed it.

lol well, i do too, but I can go to the office and have them work on stuff. I just prefer to avoid any and all responsibility for such things. Easier in my experience.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

My new problem however is off-topic from this thread. I opened the laptop not to find an empty slot but.. an 8GB stick. I removed the 8gb stick and installed the 16gb stick. So now I have 16gb. What?!

So this late 2021 brand new Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 laptop runs permanently in single channel RAM mode because it has only one RAM slot and no onboard ram???

I am on the phone with Lenovo support, but they told me yeah it doesn't look like any onboard RAM, but they're baffled as to why I have a single RAM slot. He's still on the phone trying to figure it out.

Also by the way, on their system they said that the "32GB Maximum" was only based on Lenovo testing and that as higher RAM modules come available, it may happen that it supports more. So, this laptop may actually support 64GB... but only when a 64GB stick comes into existence!!