coolant promlems

so I build my first custom loop pc about 1 year ago using all EKWB parts after a few months the colour started to disappear so I contacted ek and they send me new colouring no premix this time I took apart the whole system cleaned it flushed it left it running flushed it again and then put the new coolant in and 2 months later it happened again this time there was even more gunk in the system I took it apart again and cleaned it all so now I have just been running distilled water for some time since I did not want to mess with it in the summer so now the time has come again to try and fix it I could use so help on what to do

here is my parts list

EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G1/4 - Black

EK-AF Extender 6mm M-M G1/4 - Black

EK-Quantum Torque HDC 16 - Black

EK-Quantum Torque Rotary 90° - Black

EK-HD PETG Tube 12/16mm 1000mm (2pcs)

EK-Quantum Torque STC-12/16 - Black

EK-AF Extender 50mm M-F G1/4 - Black

EK-CoolStream SE 420 (Slim Triple)

EK-Quantum Torque 6-Pack HDC 16 - Black

EK-CoolStream SE 280 (Slim Dual)

EK-Quantum Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Frosted Plexi

EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5 PWM D-RGB – Acetal
EK-CryoFuel Solid Cloud White (Premix 1000mL)

i think it might back the metal tube from the res it seems to be corrodedcoroded

if anyone can help me fix this problem that would be great

coolant went bad.jpg

IMG_20210507_153146.jpg

IMG_20210507_153201.jpg

IMG_20210507_153206.jpg

IMG_20210507_153319.jpg

IMG_20201021_134700.jpg

9 minutes ago, Ritchie89 said:

so I build my first custom loop pc about 1 year ago using all EKWB parts after a few months the colour started to disappear so I contacted ek and they send me new colouring no premix this time I took apart the whole system cleaned it flushed it left it running flushed it again and then put the new coolant in and 2 months later it happened again this time there was even more gunk in the system I took it apart again and cleaned it all so now I have just been running distilled water for some time since I did not want to mess with it in the summer so now the time has come again to try and fix it I could use so help on what to do

here is my parts list

EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G1/4 - Black

EK-AF Extender 6mm M-M G1/4 - Black

EK-Quantum Torque HDC 16 - Black

EK-Quantum Torque Rotary 90° - Black

EK-HD PETG Tube 12/16mm 1000mm (2pcs)

EK-Quantum Torque STC-12/16 - Black

EK-AF Extender 50mm M-F G1/4 - Black

EK-CoolStream SE 420 (Slim Triple)

EK-Quantum Torque 6-Pack HDC 16 - Black

EK-CoolStream SE 280 (Slim Dual)

EK-Quantum Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Frosted Plexi

EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5 PWM D-RGB – Acetal
EK-CryoFuel Solid Cloud White (Premix 1000mL)

i think it might back the metal tube from the res it seems to be corrodedcoroded

if anyone can help me fix this problem that would be great

coolant went bad.jpg

IMG_20210507_153146.jpg

IMG_20210507_153201.jpg

IMG_20210507_153206.jpg

IMG_20210507_153319.jpg

IMG_20201021_134700.jpg

Getting a stable opaque coolant is not so easy. As you don't have soft tubing it also rules out the most common reason for gunking, which is the plasticizer. Assuming you don't have a silver kill coil, I would just put it down to the fact that the EK opaque coolant just isn't super stable. I personally don't recommend opaque coolants generally, but if you must perhaps consider Mayhems as although they do not have great documentation, anecdotally it would appear they are more stable than EK.

However if I were you, I would ditch opaque coolants, and go for either clear coolant, or colored transparent coolant. It is still better to use coolants than plain distilled water for purposes of corrosion and biocides.

7 hours ago, For Science! said:

Getting a stable opaque coolant is not so easy. As you don't have soft tubing it also rules out the most common reason for gunking, which is the plasticizer. Assuming you don't have a silver kill coil, I would just put it down to the fact that the EK opaque coolant just isn't super stable. I personally don't recommend opaque coolants generally, but if you must perhaps consider Mayhems as although they do not have great documentation, anecdotally it would appear they are more stable than EK.

However if I were you, I would ditch opaque coolants, and go for either clear coolant, or colored transparent coolant. It is still better to use coolants than plain distilled water for purposes of corrosion and biocides.

oke that’s crap I have seen videos from jay2cents on coolants going bad can’t remember I he said ek cryo fuel was bad but oke
but isn’t 2 months a bit short ?
I rly like the solid white since I made my own custom cables
also how would you recement cleaning the system I have tried vinegar but it won’t clean the haze out of the tubes the res and CPU black are no problem but the tubes

and what about the metal pipe it has some corrosion on it

8 minutes ago, Ritchie89 said:

oke that’s crap I have seen videos from jay2cents on coolants going bad can’t remember I he said ek cryo fuel was bad but oke
but isn’t 2 months a bit short ?
I rly like the solid white since I made my own custom cables
also how would you recement cleaning the system I have tried vinegar but it won’t clean the haze out of the tubes the res and CPU black are no problem but the tubes

and what about the metal pipe it has some corrosion on it

It looks like it has been really scratched up by the particles, at least thats what it looks like to me based on how the acrylic reservoir looks like. I assume you can't wipe off the white-looking things and its actually scratched. In that case I think you can only throw the tubing away and re-bend. With larger acrylic parts you can use polish meguirs for example to restore it.  The metals parts You could consider using mayhems blitz part 1 and 2, just be careful with the stuff.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

It looks like it has been really scratched up by the particles, at least thats what it looks like to me based on how the acrylic reservoir looks like. I assume you can't wipe off the white-looking things and its actually scratched. In that case I think you can only throw the tubing away and re-bend. With larger acrylic parts you can use polish meguirs for example to restore it.  The metals parts You could consider using mayhems blitz part 1 and 2, just be careful with the stuff.

no I was able to clean the rest np but I just can’t get to the inside of the pipe or the rads at the moment it’s all clear with just distiled water in it

the with haze is all gone just stil in the petg pipes

1 minute ago, Ritchie89 said:

no I was able to clean the rest np but I just can’t get to the inside of the pipe or the rads at the moment it’s all clear with just distiled water in it

the with haze is all gone just stil in the petg pipes

Use a pipe cleaner.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Use a pipe cleaner.

oke just need to find where to get that over here
and what about flushing the rads and stuff I have seen on forum posts they use vinegar

12 minutes ago, Ritchie89 said:

oke just need to find where to get that over here
and what about flushing the rads and stuff I have seen on forum posts they use vinegar

I would use something more powerful, but if you don't want to buy anything extra, it may be worth a try, just make sure you neutralize everything with plenty of water afterwards.

10 hours ago, For Science! said:

I would use something more powerful, but if you don't want to buy anything extra, it may be worth a try, just make sure you neutralize everything with plenty of water afterwards.

Ok I’m gone get all the stuff and try it all it will probably be while but when I have il post it here

I really hope its just the little metal pipe causing it it just looks a bit off to me

Thank you for all the info  

Considering your entire loop is EK products you might have just gotten a bad batch of coolant.

I'm on my 3rd round of EKs solid coolant in my loop and never had issues with the last 2 uses.

The 1st fluid i used was the azure blue concentrate mixed with distilled water, was running in my loop for about 2 years, apart from the coolant going darker over time i had zero issues with it, there was very minor sediment build up but i deemed that acceptable given how long the coolant was in my loop.

2nd round was the solid white premixed, no idea how long this was in my loop, around 6-8months i think, again zero issues, sediment buildup was non-existent.

I'm currently using electric purple premix, no issues so far.

Maybe get in contact with EK and see what they have to say.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 5:30 AM, Neggy-Z said:

Considering your entire loop is EK products you might have just gotten a bad batch of coolant.

I'm on my 3rd round of EKs solid coolant in my loop and never had issues with the last 2 uses.

The 1st fluid i used was the azure blue concentrate mixed with distilled water, was running in my loop for about 2 years, apart from the coolant going darker over time i had zero issues with it, there was very minor sediment build up but i deemed that acceptable given how long the coolant was in my loop.

2nd round was the solid white premixed, no idea how long this was in my loop, around 6-8months i think, again zero issues, sediment buildup was non-existent.

I'm currently using electric purple premix, no issues so far.

Maybe get in contact with EK and see what they have to say.

well when it went bad I send EK a mail and they send me new stuff this time no pre mix so I had the mix it myself and this also went bad and in the last few days after I posted here first my pump also broke probably from the gunk getting in it I’m getting a new one and yes I cleaned everything even let it run a few days flushed it 3 times

I now removed the metal pipe I don’t thrust and I’m on the last of the ek stuff to see what will happen
don’t have much hope for it so I’m ordering blitz part 1 and 2
if this goes bad il pull it all apart again clean it then do the cleaner flush it and try the Mayhems