Lenovo Legion 5 17.3" rtx 2060 vs Acer Predator Helios 300 rtx3060

Go to solution Solved by Qyygle,
16 hours ago, jaslion said:

I lost the video where they tore them down and they were basically the same. The only difference was that due to the plastic on the 5 being different it doesn't put pressure on the screen but it does still have the metal fatigue issue. So less bad but still bad.

From what I can see on the maintenance manuals, the 2020 5 - 17's have the same structural bars in the displays as the 15's.

laptops and netbooks :: legion series :: legion 5 17arh05h - Lenovo Support US

The specs for the manual match those of the machine he's listed, so I assume these are the 2020 documents, the 2021 models have a 6 in the model number.

I think if this is the case, the legion is probably the best choice of the one's he has available at the moment. It's another question on if he wants to carry around a 17" or 15" size, if it's going to sit on a desk most times, that might be fine.

image.png

Hi, which one should I buy both at the same price point in my country

Lenovo Legion 5 17.3"

• 17.3'' 144Hz IPS Dolby Vision 100% sRGB FHD 1920x1080

• AMD Ryzen 7 4800H

• 16GB RAM

• RTX 2060

• 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD

Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S

• 15.6″ Full HD 144Hz 3ms IPS Display

• Intel i7-11800H

• RTX 3060 Laptop GPU max 105w

• 16GB DDR4

• 512GB SSD

Any reason you can't just get the new legion 5 2021 with a 5600h and 3060? Those are normally at worst the same price as that intel helios 300 and easily defeat it.

If it has to be between these 2 laptops it would be neither as that legion whilst cooled far better has hinge issue and the helios 300 here has big overheating problems.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Any reason you can't just get the new legion 5 2021 with a 5600h and 3060? Those are normally at worst the same price as that intel helios 300 and easily defeat it.

If it has to be between these 2 laptops it would be neither as that legion whilst cooled far better has hinge issue and the helios 300 here has big overheating problems.

It's not available in my country so I have to decide between these or go with 

ASUS TUF Dash F15 Gaming Laptop 15.6'' IPS 144Hz FHD, Intel Core i7-11370H, RTX 3060 6GB GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Eclipse Grey, 

Just now, Existing_Soul said:

It's not available in my country so I have to decide between these or go with 

ASUS TUF Dash F15 Gaming Laptop 15.6'' IPS 144Hz FHD, Intel Core i7-11370H, RTX 3060 6GB GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Eclipse Grey, 

That one is even worse.

So for now you have a laptop with a hinge issue, one that overheats and the tuf which overheats even worse.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That one is even worse.

So for now you have a laptop with a hinge issue, one that overheats and the tuf which overheats even worse.

Apart from the hinge issue, what other disadvantages does Lenovo have

24 minutes ago, Existing_Soul said:

Apart from the hinge issue, what other disadvantages does Lenovo have

The hinge issue literally means your screen snaps off. That isn't something to take lightly and it happens even in lightly used laptops.

Well the lenovo is older and you get lesser specs but at least it will work normally.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The hinge issue literally means your screen snaps off. That isn't something to take lightly and it happens even in lightly used laptops.

Well the lenovo is older and you get lesser specs but at least it will work normally.

Are you sure the Legion 5's are what you're thinking about? I think it was the 7's that had hinge design flaws, rather than the 5's in 2020.

Just now, Qyygle said:

Are you sure the Legion 5's are what you're thinking about? I think it was the 7's that had hinge design flaws, rather than the 5's in 2020.

The legion 17 inch ones had the issue this was both relevant in the 5's and 7's sine they use the same hinge.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The legion 17 inch ones had the issue this was both relevant in the 5's and 7's sine they use the same hinge.

huh, interesting. Can you link a source? I can only find info on the 7i hinge issues. Curious what the 5 17" hinges looked like, cause from all the things I find, the 2020 versions of the 5 and 7 used different hinge designs

Just based on specs, the 15" is better.  But the ancillary factors mentioned above are probably big drawbacks on both.  Of course, overheating can be a lesser problem if you use a cooler, manually control the fans, and throttle.  IMHO, 1080p already looks bad on a 15" and looks worse on a 17".

Are there no MSI options in your country?

6 hours ago, Qyygle said:

huh, interesting. Can you link a source? I can only find info on the 7i hinge issues. Curious what the 5 17" hinges looked like, cause from all the things I find, the 2020 versions of the 5 and 7 used different hinge designs

I lost the video where they tore them down and they were basically the same. The only difference was that due to the plastic on the 5 being different it doesn't put pressure on the screen but it does still have the metal fatigue issue. So less bad but still bad.

16 hours ago, jaslion said:

From what I can see on the maintenance manuals, the 2020 5 - 17's have the same structural bars in the displays as the 15's.

The specs for the manual match those of the machine he's listed, so I assume these are the 2020 documents, the 2021 models have a 6 in the model number.

I think if this is the case, the legion is probably the best choice of the one's he has available at the moment. It's another question on if he wants to carry around a 17" or 15" size, if it's going to sit on a desk most times, that might be fine.

image.png

23 hours ago, jaslion said:

has hinge issue

only applies to Legion 7i 2020.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 hours ago, Qyygle said:

image.png

Guess the video I watched about it was wrong then. Well obvious laptop choice then