New Chair

Donut417
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
On 10/16/2021 at 3:40 PM, IPD said:

Either this or the Uline i listed above--are what I'd get if I were deadset on this price range.  And the Uline is already rated for a higher weight capacity--which you stated you wanted.

Except I didnt want a leather chair. Im going with the one I linked I think, because I think thats going to be the best option. 

Im in need of a new chair. Mine has developed a lean to the left, after years and years of use. Im about 5 foot 11 inches 242lbs. Im thinking of going with mesh back. Would prefer to have adjustable arms if possible. I will look locally, but availability of stuff is iffy at best. Id also prefer a chair thats rated for 300lbs +, mainly because while I have lost 15lbs since January, no guarantees as we get in to fat person season (Thanksgiving and Christmas) , I like to eat. Budget wise I really dont want to spend too much, Id probably be ok with $300 ish, but really dont want to spend more. Chairs only last me a few years anyway, probably due to my weight and the length of time I sit in them. I can sit in the chair for 8+ hours on the weekends and I do use my computer a lot after work at well. 

Stores around me are Office Depot, Best Buy, Walmart, and Target. Online wise Id prefer one of the stores listed or Amazon. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Bump

Personally, I don't see how a chair like that will last you much longer than a year or two, like your previous ones.

I work from home and game. Used to buy $100-150 chairs but the padding and overall comfort would wear out in a year, I could keep using a bit longer if I had to. Then I spend good money on a Secretlab Titan, and the seat padding was still strong after 3 years. The fabric started to wear out, and an arm rest got slightly wonky after being in a moving truck, but the thing held up great. 

I can't offer suggestions beyond the Titan, but it's over your $300 cap. Even so, I would look into those types of high quality chairs. Even if you want to say spending $425 for a chair that lasts 4 years basically equals the cost of spending $125 a year for 4 years, the comfort factor is still a better experience for the expensive model during that time. My old Titan is still far more comfortable than any of the basic office chairs I've tried since buying it.

My brother got a cheaper "gaming" chair after I raved about mine and he tried it out. His was a baseball team themed one for maybe $250 I think? He still loves it more than the $100 ones he used to get.

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life

6 minutes ago, varrys said:

Secretlab Titan

The issue with chairs like that is they dont breath. My room can get hot. You ever had your skin stick to a chair due to heat? Its not fun. Thats why I was looking for a mesh backed chair, so it could breath, so I didnt have to peel myself out of the chair. Also while I dont mind a bit over $300, $300 is what Im willing to pay. Because I still have 2 birthdays and Christmas to buy for this year. 

I can understand getting stuck to a chair. I'm on the bigger side too and sweat. But that's why I got a SoftWeave chair and not a leather one. It does breathe better. And of course, there are some expensive mesh chairs out there, but the ones I've heard people rave about are often over $300.

I also understand the price issue. Simply giving my perspective/experience as someone who's been buying home office chairs for 10+ years as I work from home. Maybe you can find a good chair for $250-300 that is mesh, no problem. I just figured if you could go a bit higher you open yourself up to some great options. I also saw the picture of the one in your link and worry about the seat holding up long term. But maybe it's a special cold foam or something that will be durable.

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life

I'd start with BTOD and look at their offerings.  They have a lot of videos on youtube as well, where they cover features of various chairs.  I know the NIghtengale CXO is VERY highly rated for comfort, but you'll have to spend a bit more for that.

Otherwise, you might try a Uline Big & Tall Mesh...or maybe something else in the 400-600 lbs range (not bariatric).

Finally had a chance to sit down a look at some things. I think these chair manufactures are snort some good cocaine. Most of the stuff Is recommend is like $600 to $1500. No way in hell Im paying that much for a chair. 

I think next Friday Im going to see what the local Office Depot has. I did look at the Secret Labs Chairs and I might be able to swing one of those with the Fabric, but they are over $500. While I can afford it, I just dont want to spend that kind of money on a chair. If Im going to spend money like that Id get a Lazy boy recliner, I just cant figure out how the logistic would work with one of those. 

On 10/9/2021 at 6:59 PM, Donut417 said:

$300 ish, but really dont want to spend more. Chairs only last me a few years anyway,

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Most of the stuff Is recommend is like $600 to $1500. No way in hell Im paying that much for a chair. 

So instead of paying that once you keep spending $300 ever few years? Sure that makes sense. 

Yes, you definitely get what you pay for.  There's a reason BTOD can refurbish and resell Aeron chairs; Herman Miller doesn't use crap materials on their products.  Not many other chairs have quality high enough that you can do that.

As far as Secret Lab Titan EVO 2022, as BTOD put it--it's at the top-end of a gaming chair, but it's barely middle-of the road for an office chair (As far as features/functions/comfort).  The Omega is trash when it comes to comfort.

Since you are cheap though, I would simply go with something in your "budget" from the big and tall realm, where the padding is likely to last a bit longer--and hopefully give you better long-term functionality.  Perhaps something like this...which I already suggested.

https://www.uline.com/BL_2237/Big-and-Tall-Mesh-Chair

4 hours ago, geo3 said:

So instead of paying that once you keep spending $300 ever few years? Sure that makes sense. 

Between my weight and the fact I eat all my meals at my desk, chairs don’t last forever. Every chair I have owned starts leaning to the left. There is nothing saying this won’t happen to more expensive chairs. 

If I worked from home and that chair made me money then it would be different. But that’s not the case. I got at least 5 years out of my $300 chair I currently have, so I consider that pretty good. 

My Herman Miller Aeron is 21 years old almost and in near perfect condition.  I only had to replace the gas cylinder last year for like $35. 

It also happens to be an order of magnitude more comfortable than any other chair I've sat on in my entire life.

14 minutes ago, geo3 said:

My Herman Miller Aeron is 21 years old almost and in near perfect condition.  I only had to replace the gas cylinder last year for like $35. 

It also happens to be an order of magnitude more comfortable than any other chair I've sat on in my entire life.

Thats cool. But Im not spending more on a chair than I did on my gaming PC. Considering a $300 chair did fine for like 5 years and I would fall asleep in it. 

40 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats cool. But Im not spending more on a chair than I did on my gaming PC. Considering a $300 chair did fine for like 5 years and I would fall asleep in it. 

Then why ask?  Shop as you normally do.  You aren't going to get McLaren performance out of a Camry budget.

7 minutes ago, IPD said:

Then why ask?

Because I didnt think people have lost their minds and spent $1500 on a chair. I would have thought that people would have recommendations with in the budget. I understand it might not last 20 years. However money doesnt grow on trees and I consider $300 to be a considerable amount of money for this type of investment. 

Then manage expectations.  You don't expect 120fps 4k gaming out of an iGPU, do you?

$1500 is very top-end in office chairs.  There are plenty of high-quality options that are half that.  But when you're in the "under $300" range, build quality, longevity, durability....these are always going to be a gamble.

This is BTOD's pick for comfort under $200

https://www.btod.com/BS-B7501.php

Either this or the Uline i listed above--are what I'd get if I were deadset on this price range.  And the Uline is already rated for a higher weight capacity--which you stated you wanted.

On 10/16/2021 at 3:40 PM, IPD said:

Except I didnt want a leather chair. Im going with the one I linked I think, because I think thats going to be the best option. 

Honestly I think your best option is to just go to an office store and find one you like.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

On 10/16/2021 at 1:24 PM, Donut417 said:

Because I didnt think people have lost their minds and spent $1500 on a chair.

The point is that a high end chair will last significantly longer and so works out to be ultimately cheaper considering the life span.  

To me someone spending $300 repeatedly has lost their mind. 

On 10/17/2021 at 8:22 PM, Donut417 said:

Show me where the big and tall MESH is leather.