Linus & Luke have started a "movement" to try and migrate to Linux...

New Category for the LieNux movement  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Create a new Main Category in the Forum?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on Dec 31, 2021 at 11:59 PM

... may you please, in this Forum create a SUPER Category on par to the main ones, so the Community will be able to segment different issues such as UI, Accessibility, Productivity, tools Drives (graphics card, etc.). I'm not suggesting turning this whole forum into a Linux support forum, but it could be home to the "movement" that will finally get Linux to be the standard OS worldwide (in despite the many distros).

I hope you bother to help focus on this "movement" that even they (Linus and Luke) probably aren't aware they've started. REMEMBER the Ice Cold Water Bucket Challenge?? Make it so... Nominate other YouTubers into challenging them to switch to Linux for 3 months and report on it.

Start with iJustine LOL jk

1. The Hub

2. The Workbench

3. Computer Hardware

4. Software

5. Linux movement (or LieNux; from Linus nickname Lie-Nus)
  6. Video Games

7. Consumer Electronics

8. Community

Take care, and take care of somebody else.
George Carlin: Jammin' in New York 1992

</>

1 minute ago, josencarnacao said:

that will finally get Linux to be the standard OS worldwide

firstly, not going to happen.

Linux is no where NEAR taking the crown from Windows

The number of disgruntled people created by W11 is going to be so tiny that it ultimately doesn't matter.

Enthusiasts may move over, but the general population will not, windows will hold the top spot for the foreseeable future.

Its good that you're excited, but the Linux sub forum (this one you posted in) already exists for that purpose. There would need to be huge swaths of people making topics before a new dedicated Linux sub-forum would be considered.

Calling it a "movement" is kind of cringy tbh, it's just an OS, so please don't compare it to:

6 minutes ago, josencarnacao said:

Ice Cold Water Bucket Challenge

something that was created to bring attention and fund-raising to ALS, a quite frankly, terrifying disease. Again, it's just an OS.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

18 minutes ago, Arika S said:

The number of disgruntled people created by W11 is going to be so tiny that it ultimately doesn't matter.

Enthusiasts may move over, but the general population will not, windows will hold the top spot for the foreseeable future.

Its good that you're excited, but the Linux sub forum (this one you posted in) already exists for that purpose. There would need to be huge swaths of people making topics before a new dedicated Linux sub-forum would be considered.

Calling it a "movement" is kind of cringy tbh, it's just an OS, so please don't compare it to:

something that was created to bring attention and fund-raising to ALS, a quite frankly, terrifying disease. Again, it's just an OS.

Yea w11 was a firestorm at first but everyone calms down anyways and switch over to 11 or stick to 10, been saying this for quite awhile now

Personally id go to linux cause i hate w10 and 11 with a burning passion (slow, bloated, not respecting users choices and privacy, etc.) But most ppl will just stick to 10 or update to 11 cause windows has dominated the market for a long time

Heck microsoft is prob taking advantage of this so they can do whatever the hell they want without losing sales and the users dont give a fk cause everyone is too used to windows and will not switch to any os cause they are not familiar with other oses

So unless ms fks up real hard then they arent gonna lose users and they are only gonna gain more profits

it was a joke, it's not happening. he even said, 'first one to switch back to windows has to do X' implying he knows that neither one of them are actually staying on linux. 

If you want to get the best of both worlds it's relatively easy to run both OS and simply switch to whatever is best for a task.

I personally like Linux Mint because it's so similar to Windows that transitioning to it is fairly easy for almost anyone.

"This could be the year of the Linux desktop!"

I did the switch from Windows to Linux in 2007.  Recently I did the switch back to see what the experience was like, and it was AWEFUL. Windows is just terrible in so many ways (and yet, since they've standardized crappiness, it's easy to get support as everyone has the same mud on their boots).  So a category for "Windows to <not windows>" doesn't make much sense in my mind, because it's more a factor of "<some OS> to <some other OS>" that's the heart of the issue (it could just as well be "Windows to BSD" or "Windows to MacOS" or "Windows to TempleOS (the only way to go)").  I feel like the whole issue isn't "which is better", but more "how do I learn to use something different".  As an example, my cousin has NO IDEA how to use a keyboard and mouse, because he's only ever used a touchscreen interface; I could say he daily drives Linux (android), but the switch from "mobile Linux to desktop Linux" for him would be just as hard as "mobile Linux to desktop Windows". 

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

I don't think creating a new forum specifically for Linux is needed, but maybe spinning macOS and Linux into separate forums might not be a bad idea, or having a more Apple specific forum (especially since Mac Attack is a thing).

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

I value your opinion and thank your for sparing your thoughts.

Having started on Amiga computers, and on PC becoming a poweruser, I never transitioned to Linux.

Lack of drivers and not having the time to research how to perform "surgery" instead of just opening a file, selecting some options and be done with it, led me to never took the time to give Linux a try.

That being said, if you try to break down and compartmentalize the Ice water Bucket Challenge, and dissociate the Charity component, you get... a Challenge, where people that do do it, nominate others to do it. That was my train of thought.

Sorry if I offended you, but I tend to use broke-down analogies in life to get thoughts through.

Anyway, for the longest time I've been following Linus and LTT, I'm fairly certain that this "challenge" Luke and Linus are taking, is going to ripple into Power Users, and in time, onto Noob Users.

My suggestion aimed at bringing more Influencers to this HypeTrain because I'm sure many will take it, and more after those, etc..

Obviously, if the some-what-like-the-ice-cold-water-bucket-challenge nomination bit doesn't happen, my prediction will fail and many Tech Content Creators won't even bother to spare a thought on trying it, and Linus and Luke will just have made 5 videos for the Dollars.

The PC OS paradigm, in my opinion, needed a boost a long time ago, right about the time Linux was released for Android Devices... but no major supporters got the word out.

And a world where Microsoft Windows is not the default, is a more Secure and Efficient one, being much more accessible to everyone, specially those in exploited countries by the big companies such as Asian and African ones... making available the same tools as "developed" countries use to work in the XXI century.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I think I had to explain better my point of view, mainly because you  stated that this sub-forum, WHICH IS NOT dedicated to Linux was sufficient.

In my hometown "Linux, macOS and Everything Not-Windows" is just like a trashcan where you dump everything that is not recycled (again, this is an analogy, where I just want to give the idea that other contents are selected, and everything in here is just dumped all together cause it's NOT worth the time segmenting).

Thanks a bunch for your opinion, and take care.

</>

5 hours ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

It would make more sense to make a category about general switching from Windows to some other OS. Singling out Linux is not enough for a new category.

I am in no way saying that we need such category.

What other OS is there to Switch too? Mac OS?
I agree that Linux and MacOS should not be 1 sub-forum all together.
And if Linux and MacOS were a sub-forum on their own, a "Switch to" pinned topic could be created in other to facilitate posts related to that being easily found.

If my idea doesn't go through, I'm on board with this one as a Plan B.

</>

4 hours ago, jwwagner25 said:

it was a joke, it's not happening. he even said, 'first one to switch back to windows has to do X' implying he knows that neither one of them are actually staying on linux. 

Clearly you are new to LTT. You don't know Linus and Luke that well, I think.

Both are determined beyond your average Joe.
Although Linus cheats all the time, in this case if someone would give up, it would be Luke. And Luke doesn't give up either.
But hey, it's their lives.... I'm just here for the fun.

</>

I don't think we need a dedicated subforum, but a pinned master thread would be nice... at least then people would stop making new topics about this.

@Kilrahpretty please...? 😛

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

ReactOS.

This seems interesting. Never heard of it. Thanks for sharing knowledge

</>