Recommendations for UPS?

PwnyTheTiger

Was gaming last night and a storm came out of no where which knocked the power for a brief moment, but enough to kill the power to my PC which scared the bejeezus out of me. I'm looking to purchase a UPS to run my PC and monitor but I have NO idea where to start or what it is I need exactly. In doing cursory research it seems most are surge protectors and battery backups in one, but the VA rating or wattage they supply is where I'm quite confused. I'm unsure what it is I should go for in terms of VA/Wattage though I'm sure overkill won't hurt I'm also not looking to spend more than I need to for my current setup with some room for maybe a GPU upgrade down the line. My system specs are below for ease and I'm positive the PSU is more than enough power for my system so I wasn't trying to match the power it puts out, but should I? The PC and my monitor will be the only 2 devices on the UPS. Besides that, brand recommendations also welcome. Any help or guidance from you fine folks would be appreciated.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

41 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

Was gaming last night and a storm came out of no where which knocked the power for a brief moment, but enough to kill the power to my PC which scared the bejeezus out of me. I'm looking to purchase a UPS to run my PC and monitor but I have NO idea where to start or what it is I need exactly. In doing cursory research it seems most are surge protectors and battery backups in one, but the VA rating or wattage they supply is where I'm quite confused. I'm unsure what it is I should go for in terms of VA/Wattage though I'm sure overkill won't hurt I'm also not looking to spend more than I need to for my current setup with some room for maybe a GPU upgrade down the line. My system specs are below for ease and I'm positive the PSU is more than enough power for my system so I wasn't trying to match the power it puts out, but should I? The PC and my monitor will be the only 2 devices on the UPS. Besides that, brand recommendations also welcome. Any help or guidance from you fine folks would be appreciated.

Honestly, for a home PC this isn't "worth" it. When you lose power, your going to lose all your networking as well, so any data in transit will be lost. Your PC turning off due to loss of power is not that big of an issue. Technically is can cause corruption but the likelihood is low.

You can get a UPS, but you would need a pretty expensive one to keep your PC on while its in a game. The wattage draw will likely be higher than any affordable UPS as most will not be able to output 400+ watts of power.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

As a sysadmin who's been through many data center fires.. I would NEVER recommend a UPS to any home user.

Personal experience with them... they catch fire.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

17 minutes ago, jde3 said:

As a sysadmin who's been through many data center fires.. I would NEVER recommend a UPS to any home user.

Personal experience with them... they catch fire.

That's what I've heard and seen a lot of talk about in reviews, so that's sort of why I've been sketched out by most of them hence this post.

38 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Honestly, for a home PC this isn't "worth" it. When you lose power, your going to lose all your networking as well, so any data in transit will be lost. Your PC turning off due to loss of power is not that big of an issue. Technically is can cause corruption but the likelihood is low.

You can get a UPS, but you would need a pretty expensive one to keep your PC on while its in a game. The wattage draw will likely be higher than any affordable UPS as most will not be able to output 400+ watts of power.

I'm not trying to continuously game if the power goes out though either, mostly just want to make it so my PC doesn't immediately shut down like that. I know it's unlikely to cause permanent damage but considering my investment in the PC in the first place, I really don't want something to get borked if the power does go out if I can prevent it.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

Currently running 2 Cyberpower 1500AVR's.Had them for a few years now,just replaced 1 battery a year or so ago.

They are used to allow enough time to shut down safely,Even have the Modem plugged in so the internet stays up.

Have come in handy numerous times over the years due to power outages.Highly recommend.

Bought mine on a good sale years ago,I think they only cost me like $120 Cdn ea when I got them.

These would be the replacements for mine:

CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD

ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570**AMD Ryzen 5800X**16G Corsair Vengence RGB 3600Mhz **ASUS Strix RX6700XT OC**Corsair H150i RGB Platinum AIO**Samsung 2-2TB 970 EVO Plus m.2**2-860 2 1/2 EVO 1Tb SSD's**Creative Sound Blaster Z**Corsair HX1200i PSU w/Black sleeved corsair Cables**Corsair 5000D Airflow**BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz 27"**BenQ XL2720Z 27"**Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard**Roccat Kave 5.1 Gaming headset,Roccat Kone Pure Black Gaming mouse**Windows 10 PRO

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________