Is this a normal laptop behavior?

Go to solution Solved by RAS_3885,
1 hour ago, samsam99 said:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

When charging it has the vents basically always on, and this started randomly one day. Also it seems a bit high to me 80 degrees when doing basically nothing.
(But im no expert so i was asking because it just seemed a strange.)

p.s. (Can you explain why it has this inconsistent temperature when charging?)

Looking at the graphs you're probably only hitting a brief spike to 80. Based on the graphs showing an average of 50 ish and the "average" reading from HWinfo this seems about right. For a laptop 80 on a quick CPU power spike is perfectly reasonable.

As to why if fluctuates and the fans are on... This will depend on what programs you have installed. Many times, certain programs are restricted from background tasks or slowed way down on battery power to, well, conserve battery. Once plugged in they are "free to go" so the usage of the CPU (and corresponding temps) will fluctuate based on what's running the background (think AV, cloud storage sync, etc.). Or may even just be normal system process being allowed a little more. Fan will entirely depend on how the fan profile for the laptop is set up. Might be able to find that in the BIOS.

Point is, temp and CPU usage fluctuations are totally normal for any computer and the behavior and temps you have are perfectly safe and normal.

Hi everyone. 
I have an Hp 15s (ryzen 7 4700u) from less than a year.

After a month or so that i had this laptop i noticed it started to overheat whenever it is charging, even if it is doing nothing and im not using it.

Here is a screen of the CPU temps of when i plug in the charger .

Is this normal? If not has anyone got a suggestion on what to do to prevent this?

thanks!

( On the screenshot: I=laptop on battery, II=laptop charging, III=Watching 1 video on yt while charging)

83BD2C4E-9D64-4BF2-B24C-2030A44CEEBC.jpeg

What leads you to believe it's overheating? On battery versus plugged in and charging will usually have a different level of performance allowed depending on the specific power plan settings you're using. So, seeing the temps spike up a bit more when plugged in makes sense. Same when you fire up Youtube.

From the HWinfo max temp reading of 80 C you're not really close to overheating and seems pretty reasonable for a laptop without some super beefy cooler (like a gaming laptop).

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

12 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

What leads you to believe it's overheating? On battery versus plugged in and charging will usually have a different level of performance allowed depending on the specific power plan settings you're using. So, seeing the temps spike up a bit more when plugged in makes sense. Same when you fire up Youtube.

From the HWinfo max temp reading of 80 C you're not really close to overheating and seems pretty reasonable for a laptop without some super beefy cooler (like a gaming laptop).

When charging it has the vents basically always on, and this started randomly one day. Also it seems a bit high to me 80 degrees when doing basically nothing.

1 hour ago, samsam99 said:

Looking at the graphs you're probably only hitting a brief spike to 80. Based on the graphs showing an average of 50 ish and the "average" reading from HWinfo this seems about right. For a laptop 80 on a quick CPU power spike is perfectly reasonable.

As to why if fluctuates and the fans are on... This will depend on what programs you have installed. Many times, certain programs are restricted from background tasks or slowed way down on battery power to, well, conserve battery. Once plugged in they are "free to go" so the usage of the CPU (and corresponding temps) will fluctuate based on what's running the background (think AV, cloud storage sync, etc.). Or may even just be normal system process being allowed a little more. Fan will entirely depend on how the fan profile for the laptop is set up. Might be able to find that in the BIOS.

Point is, temp and CPU usage fluctuations are totally normal for any computer and the behavior and temps you have are perfectly safe and normal.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15