Unusual issue I have with my old monitor

Boris_191

Alright, to start I should state that I'm using an old Samsung SyncMaster 733NW, using a VGA to HDMI adapter.

I'm not looking to get a new monitor, just want to see if this works.

So, the issue started about 2 months ago.

About 2 years ago, the display turned pink-ish. I brought it to a 3rd party repair shop and got it fixed; however, they also (for some unexplainable reason) disabled the side controls (buttons) and the blue LED. Now, this wasn't that big of a problem, as it would still turn on on its own. However, a few months ago, it started to take longer and longer to turn the monitor on. 

It came to the point where I had to restart the computer and wait a few minutes until it turned on. I did try turning it on and leaving it, but that didn't work.

So, about 2 weeks ago, it just died.

I don't know how, but it took me an hour to turn it on 3 days before that, and the following 2 days it just turned on fine after a restart or two.

I tried a lot, be it trying new adapters, cables, devices etc.

It just doesn't work anymore.

I did try turning it on, waiting a couple minutes and restarting it for 6-7 hours, with no result.

I opened the inside with the help of a guide to see if anything happened, be it a resistor popping off or whatever, yet it was just fine inside.

I'm just confused as to what may have caused this.

I didn't do anything intensive like turn it on overnight or anything too, I just used it casually, having it on 6-8 hours a day.

Any tips on what to do or any idea on what happened? I appreciate anything at this point, as this monitor is pretty much trashed, and I'm getting a laptop.

Judging by the look of that monitor, it was made in the days when Gateway was still a powerhouse PC company.  Stuff wears out over time.  Could be a number of things.  But I should point out that if you are using an adapter to convert a DIGITAL signal into an ANALOG one in order to feed a monitor...you really needed to upgrade anyways.

p.s.

1440x900 resolution.  Reminds me of this:

On 10/9/2021 at 3:17 AM, IPD said:

Judging by the look of that monitor, it was made in the days when Gateway was still a powerhouse PC company.  Stuff wears out over time.  Could be a number of things.  But I should point out that if you are using an adapter to convert a DIGITAL signal into an ANALOG one in order to feed a monitor...you really needed to upgrade anyways.

p.s.

1440x900 resolution.  Reminds me of this:

I tried a bunch of stuff including new adapters, and it seems that the thing is just dead. I'm not gonna try to fix it any further, as it just seems like it's a better choice to buy a new one.