Compressed Air Pistol for cleaning PC ?

Mikey89

So just wondering, can i use this compressed air pistol to clean the inside of my case like every 6-12 months ?

https://www.dedeman.ro/ro/pistol-pneumatic-de-suflat-cu-duza-lunga-airmaster-air-51/p/1005706

Since i got 3 front intake fans i noticed that dust will accumulate on the GPU fan pallets over time so want to know if the pistol in link will do the job.

I use my air compressor with my various assortment of air guns all the time to clean my pc. Just make sure you're not spinning the fans because those guns will make them go stupidly fast, especially if you're like me where your airlines are regulated to 150 PSI.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

They should work fine. Just make sure you hold you fan in a steady position while cleaning.

6 minutes ago, trag1c said:

I use my air compressor with my various assortment of air guns all the time to clean my pc. Just make sure you're not spinning the fans because those guns will make them go stupidly fast, especially if you're like me where your airlines are regulated to 150 PSI.

That was gonna be my next question.

Can it damage the fan blades ?

won't damage fan BLADES...but could potentially damage the bearings, especially with the cheap quality parts that OEMs use for this kind of stuff.  Could also throw the fan's balance off.  Unlikely, but possible.

31 minutes ago, IPD said:

won't damage fan BLADES...but could potentially damage the bearings, especially with the cheap quality parts that OEMs use for this kind of stuff.  Could also throw the fan's balance off.  Unlikely, but possible.

So i shouldn't use it then for cleaning dust from the GPU fan blades ?

I plan to keep GPU where it is inside the case and not remove it.

It's the ASUS ROG STRIX version of the GPU i would hope they have high quality parts.

45 minutes ago, IPD said:

The problem isn't potential damage to the bearings or balance either, it's that spinning the fan generates a voltage that backfeeds the motherboard and could damage it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Don't forget there is a fan in the psu. 

Also you don't need a crazy amount of pressure. I'm usually between 90 and 120 psi. Too much pressure can knock a chip off a pcb. 

You'll also want to make sure your air tank on your compressor is drained of water.

7 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

So i shouldn't use it then for cleaning dust from the GPU fan blades ?

I plan to keep GPU where it is inside the case and not remove it.

It's the ASUS ROG STRIX version of the GPU i would hope they have high quality parts.

Just immobilize the fan while you are blasting particles off it.  I'd also consider keeping a shop-fac handy, so you can suck in loose particles you are dislodging--so they won't resettle on your electronics.

I use a metro datavac, it’s pretty sweet! It’s a little louder than a can of compressed air 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TY-143

Maybe for outdoor major cleaning of neglected PC's compressed air works but 99% of the time for maintenance cleanings I'm using a soft bristled automotive detail brush and a vacuum. No way I'm blasting that stuff back out in the air just to settle on something else.