Server for a small business

Alexaldin
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, Alexaldin said:

Yeah, Windows 10 Home should be enough. They are now using a Windows 7 where the PMS runs, so it can be used from other pc in the LAN.

They aren't using AD, just sharing files with workgroups and local account.

That's why I want them to use a RAID, so if a hdd fail they don't lose files. Also, after they setup the server I'll suggest buying a NAS just for backups.

Right now it sparked to me that, since they are already using a normal pc, I can suggest using a new PC as well... i7 11700 with a Z590 should be enough?

Id just get a nas here like a synology. I don't see the point in a full windows system. Should be cheaper too, and easier to manage.

You really won't need much in terms of specs here unless your doing heavy transcoding. A i3 would be plenty here.

Hello everyone,

my brother needs a new server for the place he works. They need a Tower server that can run a simple PMS and can double as a NAS for the other PC they have in the building. No need to be accessed from outside.

They are currently using a PC with Windows 7, i3 3100 and 8gb of RAM, so it's pretty light as PMS.

Budget 1000€ (Italy)

I searched a bit and found the Dell PowerEdge T140 or the HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen10, both custom picked with 2 HDD for RAID, but I don't know if it's what I'm looking for.

Also, what RAID should they use?

Any suggestion? It's not really my area, so I'm not sure.

Thank you!

Do you need windows? Id get something like a synology nas here.

Are they running AD?

Make sure you have a good backup plan incase something happens to the server.

With 2 drives, raid 1 is really the only option here.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you need windows? Id get something like a synology nas here.

Are they running AD?

Make sure you have a good backup plan incase something happens to the server.

With 2 drives, raid 1 is really the only option here.

Yeah, Windows 10 Home should be enough. They are now using a Windows 7 where the PMS runs, so it can be used from other pc in the LAN.

That's why I want them to use a RAID, so if a hdd fail they don't lose files. Also, after they setup the server I'll suggest buying a NAS just for backups.

Right now it sparked to me that, since they are already using a normal pc, I can suggest using a new PC as well... i7 11700 with a Z590 should be enough?

Id just get a nas here like a synology. I don't see the point in a full windows system. Should be cheaper too, and easier to manage.

You really won't need much in terms of specs here unless your doing heavy transcoding. A i3 would be plenty here.

Thank you very much for the help, I'll see if the synology is what they are looking for. In the meantime I'll also suggest a normal PC.

Thank you very much for the help, I'll see if the synology is what they are looking for. In the meantime I'll also suggest a normal PC.

Id get a server class hardware instead of desktop hardware if you can. ECC is nice to have to keep data the same, they have better support, and generally pretty reliable. They also have things like better nics on board.

Id get a server class hardware instead of desktop hardware if you can. ECC is nice to have to keep data the same, they have better support, and generally pretty reliable. They also have things like better nics on board.

I'll see what I can find. Some suggestion just for the mobo? So I can have a point to start from.

I'll see what I can find. Some suggestion just for the mobo? So I can have a point to start from.

Just get something from Dell/HPE/Lenovo. you don't want a diy system here.

But id really get a synology or simmilar, will work much better here.