HP Laptop overheating when charging (strange gpu behavior)

Go to solution Solved by Roswell,
38 minutes ago, samsam99 said:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

So it is normal that the gpu usage goes down when plugged in? I thought it would do the opposite.

Is there a way i can mantain the same settings when the pc is plugged in?

Yeah definitely normal. It goes down because while it’s plugged in, it has more available power. So something using 80% unplugged may only use 60% plugged in, for example.

You can lower your power plan while plugged in and limit clock speed but there’s no reason to unless you’re getting severe thermal throttling.

Hi everyone!

I need help on this strange situation with my laptop (hp 15s).

When the charger is plugged in, the temperature goes up to 50/60 degrees celsius even when doing small tasks, (even tried removing battery but still does the same). 
Today i tried to monitor the cpu/gpu usage and it seems that when plugged in, the gpu usage goes down by 10% but when i unplug the laptop it goes back up.

Does anyone have a suggestion? 

Thanks in advance! 

That’s all normal behavior. When it’s unplugged the clocks go down which results in a higher percentage of usage and lower temperature.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

9 minutes ago, Roswell said:

That’s all normal behavior. When it’s unplugged the clocks go down which results in a higher percentage of usage and lower temperature.

So it is normal that the gpu usage goes down when plugged in? I thought it would do the opposite.

38 minutes ago, samsam99 said:

Yeah definitely normal. It goes down because while it’s plugged in, it has more available power. So something using 80% unplugged may only use 60% plugged in, for example.

You can lower your power plan while plugged in and limit clock speed but there’s no reason to unless you’re getting severe thermal throttling.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20