Do I need an antivirus or is Win Defender enough these days?

Go to solution Solved by aDoomGuy,

Well while Defender offers decent protection I find installing applications and other things slower with it compared to Bitdefender which I use.

Here you can see independent testing of anti virus.

www.av-test.org

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/august-2021/

I've been using Avast Premium Security for years and the experience has always been positive (except for the annoying pop-up ads), but as my current subscription is about to expire I'm left wondering if it is still necessary in this day and age when I keep hearing about how good Windows Defender is. Besides, aren't malware and ransomware the biggest threats these days more so than viruses? Wouldn't be better to invest in a solid firewall and/or malware removal tools (and common sense, of course) instead of relying on these services and the speed with which they update their databases?

Avast is offering a pretty awesome discount to renew my subscription, but would that be the right move? Would invest in something like Malwarebytes be a better option instead?

The best antivirus is common sense..granted its not so common nowadays but still.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Of course, but everyone makes mistakes every now and then. What if I value having the piece of mind of a good software watching my back?

Usually Defender is enough, third party AV's only use up more system resources while not giving much better security. If you still want a third party one I recommend Malwarebytes or Kaspersky