Dead PSU 1000w EVGA G Supernova

Ryasis

I got a new video card for my birthday from my wife, a new ASRock Radeon 6900xt OC Formula.........and now my Power Supply is dead. Burned up and never coming back. Nothing smells electrical burned, but I am sure it's never coming back. The question I have for all of you is suggestions on watts sizing. I have an i7-8700k on an ASRock Z390, 32 gigs of RAM, and that monster of a video card. Now comes the fun part, this is the sizing math that is past me.

6 mechanical HDD, 27TB in a raid array for my Plex Media server, also has my m.2 for the OS. In the case are two 200mm Thermaltake fans, 6 fans to support the 360mm radiator for my CPU, and a few other case fans. Since I burned up a 1000w, I am guessing my old 750w EVGA wont be enough to power the new video card and no fans. What should I be looking at size-wise? Brand wise? 1200w?

Are the mechanical hard drives causing the issues?

It should not break with too much watts as there are protections. Try the 750W one if it is a quality unit.

And change the cables too to be sure as not all psus use the same pins psu side.

Well the minimum recommended for the new Video card is 1000w

11 minutes ago, Ryasis said:

Well the minimum recommended for the new Video card is 1000w

Yeah, you're old PSU didn't fail from trying to run devices that require more power, there are built in protections that prevent that. What exact model was it?

I run a 5800x3090 system (350W GPU) on a Corsair small form factor SF750 Platinum and with the GPU at stock, I have no issues even while monitoring the card pulling 350W. Though, I don't have all the extra accessories you have. 

I can say for certain that any high quality 850W to 1000W unit should be able to run your system just fine.

3 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Yeah, you're old PSU didn't fail from trying to run devices that require more power, there are built in protections that prevent that. What exact model was it?

I run a 5800x3090 system (350W GPU) on a Corsair small form factor SF750 Platinum and with the GPU at stock, I have no issues even while monitoring the card pulling 350W. Though, I don't have all the extra accessories you have. 

I can say for certain that any high quality 850W to 1000W unit should be able to run your system just fine.

An EVGA 1000W G Supernova

15 minutes ago, Ryasis said:

An EVGA 1000W G Supernova

They were probably asking which of EVGA's 8 Supernova "G" PSUs you had

:)

15 minutes ago, seon123 said:

They were probably asking which of EVGA's 8 Supernova "G" PSUs you had

G+  not really sure how that makes a difference

2 hours ago, Ryasis said:

G+  not really sure how that makes a difference

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

Found the issue!!

Damn cat!!

20210930_191921.jpg

54 minutes ago, Ryasis said:

Found the issue!!

Damn cat!!

giphy (1).gif

If it's just the power cord that's damaged that's not too bad. You can replace the power cord for only a few dollars, much cheaper than a new power supply. Quite often sold as "kettle cord" but it's C13 power cable.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

First thing that came to my mind too

That sudden surge for more power from a 1000w power supply must have finally made the cord give out.  

That was when we lived with my mom, while our house was being built.  She has a cat!