what should i do with this old gtx 460 oc

ethan308666

I still have my old gtx 460 oc its been sitting for many years and still works great but I dont know what to do with it 

Sell it or use it for troubleshooting. It's not really powerful enough to use in a modern gaming rig, and it's not power efficient enough to put in a server to use for Plex encoding/similar. I personally always have one spare GPU on me, since they're very useful to be able to troubleshoot stuff if necessary. That being said, if you don't build a ton of PCs or buy and sell them like I do, you might just wanna put it on eBay and see if a collector wants it.

You could sell it. Now is basically the best time for that. Unless you think the GPU market is going to get even worse. Perhaps we've only reached the 5th level of GPU Hell, so I guess we could go deeper and your 460 might go for $2000, but I think things are going to improve compared to now.

I sold mine last year and still got a decent price for it.

If you don't want to sell it and have an old system, you could make a decent old/classic gaming rig out of it. It does draw a bit of power, but it's not that bad. I remember that it can even run GTA V for example.

Like said, you could always have it at hand as a back up GPU just in case you need to test a system without integrated graphics.

5 minutes ago, FRD said:

I sold mine last year and still got a decent price for it.

If you don't want to sell it and have an old system, you could make a decent old/classic gaming rig out of it. It does draw a bit of power, but it's not that bad. I remember that it can even run GTA V for example.

Like said, you could always have it at hand as a back up GPU just in case you need to test a system without integrated graphics.

i mean i could sell it but at the same time im thinking about building a system based around 2010 and 2011 parts but then again i do also need the money so im kinda at loss on what i should do I might just keep it and like i said build a system based on 2010 2011 parts i mean ive got a old i3 2120 sitting around im sure i can find other parts for the build as well 

1 minute ago, ethan308666 said:

i mean i could sell it but at the same time im thinking about building a system based around 2010 and 2011 parts but then again i do also need the money so im kinda at loss on what i should do I might just keep it and like i said build a system based on 2010 2011 parts i mean ive got a old i3 2120 sitting around im sure i can find other parts for the build as well 

Then it's up to you. It also depends on how much you can get for the 460. You will also spend money to get the 2010/2011 parts, even though not a lot.

The i3 2120 used to be pretty weak compared to i5 and i7 back then, but a SSD for the OS will do wonders.

Could run it for a Emulation machine? Play some old ROMs or something.

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

9 minutes ago, FRD said:

Then it's up to you. It also depends on how much you can get for the 460. You will also spend money to get the 2010/2011 parts, even though not a lot.

The i3 2120 used to be pretty weak compared to i5 and i7 back then, but a SSD for the OS will do wonders.

anyhow the most i think id be able to get for it is maybe 50 as it is somewhat damaged (just cosmetic damage and the heat sink has a few bent fins on it)

36 minutes ago, ethan308666 said:

I still have my old gtx 460 oc its been sitting for many years and still works great but I dont know what to do with it 

was going to say trash it, but looks to be worth around $200, so ig sell it, or try to

4 minutes ago, ethan308666 said:

anyhow the most i think id be able to get for it is maybe 50 as it is somewhat damaged (just cosmetic damage and the heat sink has a few bent fins on it)

It should be fine as long as it's still working. $50 is at least better than trashing it.