Highest Priority?

Lightning

-Medium priced DSLR Camera for taking my graduation pics (undergraduate fro NYU) and other events (DSLR Camera of interest: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120520)

I want to replace my family's 7 year old point and shoot camera for better quality pictures.

-GTX 780 graphics card (I want to  upgrade from my reference GTX 570 I bought about 3-4 years ago)

-3DS with Bravely Default and other FF games (I am a huge SE fan and bravely default has been a big hit, I hear)

wat do? I can only buy one.

They are all around the $500-$600 price range (except for the 3DS).

if they have a 7 year old camera they dont care enough, better to spend money on something that gets used every day :)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Bad link. Which dslr is it? What gpu do you have now?

Updated post.

The 3ds IMO isn't worth it between the other three.

So the question is, are you unhappy with your performance from either of the others?
Games not running well?
Pictures not pretty enough?

Which do you feel is lacking more.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

The 3DS is fun and I've always loved Nintendo's handhelds but it just really doesn't compare to a 780 :(

The camera I personally wouldn't go with because photography is such an expensive hobby that unless used for artistic reasons I can't seem to justify. But maybe you're really into it and will be using it frequently, in which case I guess it's not a bad investment.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I would go for new GPU, the camera and 3DS will only be used like once in a while I bet. Though, super smash bros looks pretty sick for the 3DS, if anything, that game will make me actually consider getting the 3DS....

Invest the $500 in stock? lol.  I'd go with the camera though personally, but only because you already have a GTX570.  You'll own that dslr for a lot longer than a graphics card, and you can save up and sell your 570 when Maxwell comes out.  But that's just me, and I use my DSLR a lot more then I play my 3DS.

Hmmm...

I heard the maxwell cards have been delayed. That was why I considered picking up a GTX 780 now.

And I am going to medical school soon so I won't have time to play :(.

But I want to try to beat all the AAA titles (~20-30 FPS with everything maxed) before I leave for school D:

The camera will be a better long term investment, I have owned a Nikon d5000 for 3 yrs now and it still takes as spectacular pictures as any newer mid range dslr does. Plus for the most part if you stay with the same brand camera you can collect lenses over time and just upgrade or replace the body when needed. Lenses can get really expensive but as along as you take care of them they will last.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

The 3ds IMO isn't worth it between the other three.

So the question is, are you unhappy with your performance from either of the others?

Games not running well?

Pictures not pretty enough?

Which do you feel is lacking more.

This pretty much sums it up in one bite.

I was going to respond to this thread, until I read this post. Hence, I have nothing more to say than.. That. Pure and simple logic puzzle there.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Get a T1i. T3i isn't required. Lenses matter more. This was on a T1i. Need I say more? I haven't even graded or cloned or even started to clean the image. 

1291353_10151557780611653_868958154_o.jp

Isn't it obvious? GTX 780!

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Whatever you'll use more. But...780 of course. No other option. It will probably be used the most...unless you play a lot of 3DS.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

While I'm not a big fan of photography and cameras, I'd still go for the camera in your situation. It'll last longer, and you don't have to run the latest games on the highest settings. Lower the shadow quality from Ultra to Very High/High/Medium, and maybe the Texture Quality from Ultra/Very High to High or even Medium. Lower AA from x16/x12/x8 to maybe x4 or x2, or turn it off completely. Whenever I play a new game, I always turn down AA to the lowest option possible, without turning it off completely because I neither care or see a huge difference between the different AA options.

Also, look up guides for increasing performance in the games you want to play. A friend of mine has a computer almost identical to my computer, but he has a Radeon HD6950, so he usually end up tweaking .ini-files and a lot of other stuff to increase performance by even just a few frames per second.

The highest settings in a game doesn't automatically mean the best gaming experience.

When it comes to cameras and taking pictures of your family during holidays/vacations, or taking pictures of your dog or cat... Good quality pictures does make a difference. That dog or cat of yours won't live forever, same with your mom and dad, and memories can be forgotten. 20 years from now you might've forgotten all about that evening when you or your family did something really fun and crazy. Going back to look at the pictures 20 years later can bring back a lot of really good memories. Who knows, some of the pictures you might want to frame and hang on the wall. If the camera used is really bad at taking pictures without the flash, or in a dark room, the picture might not be as good.

I'm sorry for kinda rambling a bit here, and I'm really tired so some of this might not even make sense, but I'd really go for the camera in your situation. I'm guessing the camera will be shared with your family, while you're the only one who'll have use for the GTX 780? Anyway, this is just my opinion. In the end, you have the final say in what you spend your own money on. :)

Rwa has spoken.

i would go with the camera as it will most likely be a bit more practical in the long run. The 570 is still a fairly solid card for modern games.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

What do you want to take photos of? What lense(s) will you be running?

A dslr body isnt that expensive compared to lenses, personally i have a canon 350d ($318 aud) with a tamron 60mm macro lense ($499 aud) a canon 50mm ($150 aud) a tamron 18-270mm lense mkII ($550 aud)+ several other lenses totaling a further $500 aud.

Having said that a dslr is an awesome investment and i would probably go it in the long run.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)