Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF issue with USB ports

frozensun

Hi friends.

I'm having issue with front usb 3.0 headers on the case, on this SFF machine with i7 3770 CPU.

Whenever I plug the device like external HDD which gets power via power brick PC doesn't recognize it,and even if it does I get an error on the drive.

I don't have issue with usb pen drives just drives which I suppose need more power like external HDD with or without power brick.

Usually they don't get recognize or even if they do they get disconnected after a minute or so.

How do I resolve this?

Seems to me that for some reason drives don't get enough power,but dunno why and what could cause this,and how to resolve?

I dunno if it's important but I have usb wifi card plugged into one of the front usb headers on case (not 3.0).

The only way the drive gets recognized is when I do refresh in device manager.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

USB headers on the motherboard most of the time aren't really made for high power applications so the front USB ports on the case often aren't meant for things like hard drive. I have a similar issue with my desktop pc that has a normal mATX pc case where if I plug my 3.5 inch drive with external power into the front USB 2.0 or 3.0 the hard drive connects and disconnects randomly and I can barely do anything with it however if I use the ports on the rear it works perfectly fine. The main solution to your problem would be to just use the ports on the rear of the optiplex, assuming the hard drive will work fine on those.

42 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

USB headers on the motherboard most of the time aren't really made for high power applications

this, on top of the fact that prebuilts often don't have the highest quality usb controllers in them... 

She/Her