Need a new PC. Not sure what I need.

Bluecando

1. Budget & Location

Budget: 2500$-3000$ CAD

2. Aim

I'm a Poker pro, and I need a new PC. I need it to be able to multi-task easily while I play, and I also run sims which are very memory demanding. Probably need at least 64GB. I know they say that that software excels with the more number of threads on offer, but I'm not sure what that means lol. As for the rest I do basic stuff (photoshop, web, some small gaming like Hearthstone and Civ6). Don't plan on using it for other gaming. 

3. Monitors

I run 2 x Dell 31.5" 1440p. Not sure what would be best for those. 2 Display Ports?

4. Peripherals

Nothing special. I would like to have Bluetooth though, for my headphones. I'm currently using a dongle. Works well, so that might be the better option. Not sure. 

5. Why are you upgrading?

My current PC is just not cutting it. Took an old PC from the office. (Intel i7-9700, 16 GB RAM). When I play, the computer often struggles and sometimes stutters. Running sims are a hassle. I have to limit the inputs to a minimum for it to run. When I play Hearthstone, even browsing on the second screen makes the PC struggle. 

6. Additional information.

- I would like to buy the parts in Canada and in as few shops as possible.

- I need the PC to be fairly quiet.

- Ideally I would like a more compact case, such as the Meshify C

- Need a fair amount of fast storage. Probably one for OS and another one of about 1TB. 

- Obviously I don't want to overpay, but my budget is flexible and I rather overkill than regret it in 6 months. 

- It's my first build, and I am not super tech savvy. So nothing over complicated. I obviously don't plan to overclock.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Threads only help if your apps make use of them.

If your app is designed to use 4 threads?  Having more than 8 is beyond overkill.  (4 for the app, and a few more for other things to use)

64GB RAM?  That's a LOT.  Very very few things need that in any way, shape, or form.

What's your current PC's GPU?  Going above an i7 9700?  You won't see huge gains in CPU Power, that's a very respectably beefy chip still.

Are you running windows off a SSD or an HDD?

12 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Threads only help if your apps make use of them.

If your app is designed to use 4 threads?  Having more than 8 is beyond overkill.  (4 for the app, and a few more for other things to use)

It uses up to 16 threads (logical CPUs). But I probably won't use the max ever. 

12 minutes ago, tkitch said:

64GB RAM?  That's a LOT.  Very very few things need that in any way, shape, or form.

32GB is usually recommended, but I thought since RAM is not the most expensive thing, it might be worth it. 

16 minutes ago, tkitch said:

What's your current PC's GPU?  Going above an i7 9700?  You won't see huge gains in CPU Power, that's a very respectably beefy chip still.

Intel UHD Graphics 630.

21 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Are you running windows off a SSD or an HDD?

All on same SSD.

Buy 16gb more ram

Considering its an office pc i bet its running single channel which absolutely cripples your cpu performance, personally ive observed a diff of around 30% when using single vs dual channel so no fking wonder that cpu is running like garbage, ram is screwing your pc over

I think this will work fine 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8pJWNP

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($356.75 @ shopRBC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2 65.59 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.25 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($206.50 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($110.25 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($68.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card  ($797.75 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.50 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($148.05 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $2037.02

2 hours ago, Nalina Artigala said:

I think this will work fine 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8pJWNP

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($356.75 @ shopRBC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2 65.59 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.25 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($206.50 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($110.25 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($68.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card  ($797.75 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.50 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($148.05 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $2037.02

That's really bad suggestion to be fear. Overpaying for motherboard, While getting not CPU he asks for, Bad AIO, Bad storage configuration, Big case instead of compact, 16GB memory... I bet you just read part where it said 2500-3000 CAD... 😄

Here is what actually work in this case.

Depending on what motherboard you have, You might reuse it and CPU, Here, I make a list, If you have decent motherboard and think CPU will be somewhat enough, Get those parts:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QwdT68

Get this if u want better CPU

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hZNHdD

For a GPU, better GPU will be great if possible, But how prices are now, It's hard to get anything normally priced. I included 6600XT, Because it shows in stock for 795 CAD and that's great price, Check it if you can buy, Some times sites make it available but when you actually try to buy it you get notification that it'll be delivered months later... 😄 

Better GPU than 6600xt will be 3060 ti, if you can get it for ~1000-1200 CAD, I don't think it's worth to overpay anymore than this. Or even better 6700XT for around 1300-1400 CAD. It's still up to you, If you have need for good GPU, you might pay more, But I don't think it's worth overpaying too much. Either way, From integrated GPU it'll be huge upgrade.

For fans, Those are quiet fans, I added 3 in list, But u can get 5 and replace all fans in case too, Mount 3 as intake and 2 as exhaust.

For cooler, I was going to suggest Scythe Fuma 2, But it's out of stock, Where it's stock, It's overpriced, So no longer worth getting it. But you can get AIO as well, Arctic Liquid freezer II is great option.

4 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

While getting not CPU he asks for

Did he ask for One? I thought i7-9700 means his old computer

Bad AIO

Actually I don't have a good knowledge in CPU coolers...

Bad storage

Actually I was planning to put a HP SSD for the Main one and Crucial 1TB one for the secondary drive, but when I search for HP Ex950 in PcPartPicker it didn't shows in results. 

So thats why I put a 980 as the main and Crucial for secondary (and also I mistakenly put a Crucial 500GB other than 1TB)

Big case instead of compac

Actually this is what happened when I search for the dimensions of Meshify case I clicked on a Meshify 2 case (A case big case and also its price is also high and I didn't check the price) thats why I put a 4000D because its smaller than the Meshify 2

16GB memory

Actually I saw that he need a 32/64 GB ram but when I search for the system requirements of the games that he's playing the games doesn't need lots of memory that why I put a 16GB and also I think his games are stucking because he's using Intel UHD graphics

Overpaying for motherboard,

Overpaying for the motherboard? Isn't that motherboard good? and also you also put a $219 CAD motherboard.

8 minutes ago, Nalina Artigala said:

Did he ask for One? I thought i7-9700 means his old computer

He have 9700, While 5600X is better, It have fewer CPU cores, So he definitely wanted more cores and threads, And 5600X is not that much CPU to be worth upgrade.

10 minutes ago, Nalina Artigala said:

Actually I don't have a good knowledge in CPU coolers...

It'll be better to do some research about this and give advises later 😞 

10 minutes ago, Nalina Artigala said:

Actually I was planning to put a HP SSD for the Main one and Crucial 1TB one for the secondary drive, but when I search for HP Ex950 in PcPartPicker it didn't shows in results. 

So thats why I put a 980 as the main and Crucial for secondary (and also I mistakenly put a Crucial 500GB other than 1TB)

There is many SSD you can suggest, If you made mistake while picking or not, It still doesn't change fact, That's bad advise, So you should be more careful. 

12 minutes ago, Nalina Artigala said:

Actually this is what happened when I search for the dimensions of Meshify case I clicked on a Meshify 2 case (A case big case and also its price is also high and I didn't check the price) thats why I put a 4000D because its smaller than the Meshify 2

Again, You should pay more attention.

12 minutes ago, Nalina Artigala said:

Actually I saw that he need a 32/64 GB ram but when I search for the system requirements of the games that he's playing the games doesn't need lots of memory that why I put a 16GB and also I think his games are stucking because he's using Intel UHD graphics

I somewhat agree, 64GB might not be necessary, But 16GB is definitely below what he needs.

14 minutes ago, Nalina Artigala said:

Overpaying for the motherboard? Isn't that motherboard good? and also you also put a $219 CAD motherboard.

MSI B550 A-pro is same tier board, While being cheaper, But Tomahawk is higher tier board, While being priced almost same, Anyways, If you put 5600X there, It doesn't need any better than B550 A-pro, Asus PRIME B550-PLUS, ASRock B550 Pro4.

Also forgot to mention, Getting 1660 Super in this price range and for two 1440p monitors? 

7 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

That's really bad suggestion to be fear. Overpaying for motherboard, While getting not CPU he asks for, Bad AIO, Bad storage configuration, Big case instead of compact, 16GB memory... I bet you just read part where it said 2500-3000 CAD... 😄

Here is what actually work in this case.

Depending on what motherboard you have, You might reuse it and CPU, Here, I make a list, If you have decent motherboard and think CPU will be somewhat enough, Get those parts:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QwdT68

Get this if u want better CPU

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hZNHdD

For a GPU, better GPU will be great if possible, But how prices are now, It's hard to get anything normally priced. I included 6600XT, Because it shows in stock for 795 CAD and that's great price, Check it if you can buy, Some times sites make it available but when you actually try to buy it you get notification that it'll be delivered months later... 😄 

Better GPU than 6600xt will be 3060 ti, if you can get it for ~1000-1200 CAD, I don't think it's worth to overpay anymore than this. Or even better 6700XT for around 1300-1400 CAD. It's still up to you, If you have need for good GPU, you might pay more, But I don't think it's worth overpaying too much. Either way, From integrated GPU it'll be huge upgrade.

For fans, Those are quiet fans, I added 3 in list, But u can get 5 and replace all fans in case too, Mount 3 as intake and 2 as exhaust.

For cooler, I was going to suggest Scythe Fuma 2, But it's out of stock, Where it's stock, It's overpriced, So no longer worth getting it. But you can get AIO as well, Arctic Liquid freezer II is great option.

Thanks. That really helps. Guess I'll wait a little because GPUs are pretty crazy right now. And that vuugo retailer seems sketchy lol. Guess I'll buy some RAM for now, and hopefully things can come back to normal soon enough.

Thanks again! Appreciate it. 

28 minutes ago, Bluecando said:

Thanks. That really helps. Guess I'll wait a little because GPUs are pretty crazy right now. And that vuugo retailer seems sketchy lol. Guess I'll buy some RAM for now, and hopefully things can come back to normal soon enough.

Thanks again! Appreciate it. 

If PCPartPicker lists it as a vendor, It should not be scam site or something like that.

14 hours ago, Bluecando said:

I need it to be able to multi-task easily while I play, and I also run sims which are very memory demanding. Probably need at least 64GB.

Yea that screams at least a 5900X at least in my opinion. If you're running that many task at the same time, your CPU is getting heavily taxed. 64 GB is also nice so that your computer will not do as much any memory swapping (smooths out overall experience). Alternatively, you can wait for intel's new stuff (might be better deal). The new big, little cores should help out in your situation.