is 4k the same thing as 1080p 240hz?

nelska

Like in a 4k youtube video. Should I turn my 240hz monitor up all the way or choose 1080p in the video settings on youtube? 

7 minutes ago, DG House said:

4K an is 3840x2160

and 1920x1080p is Full HD

Youtube only supports up to 60hz

maybe i dont get the point of your question

I thought a 4k video at the resolution 1080p would be a match at 240hz. on a 1080p monitor. but maybe i dont understand how its displayed. it would have to be 4k at 240hz? or something. 

17 minutes ago, nelska said:

I thought a 4k video at the resolution 1080p would be a match at 240hz. on a 1080p monitor. but maybe i dont understand how its displayed. it would have to be 4k at 240hz? or something. 

you would need a 4k display to see 4k, if your display only goes up to 1080p then 1080p is all you can see, 240hz is the refresh rate and has nothing to do with how to resolution is displayed, just how fast it refreshes, making it seem 'smoother'

CPU: Ryzen 3700X Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Pro Wifi CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 Rev 2 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz GPU: Asus TUF OC RTX 3080 SSD: 250GB SK Hynix SATA and 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Cooler Master NR200 Monitor: LG 27GL850 Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Razer Viper Audio: Sennheiser PC37X and Logitech G560 Speakers

i have a hard time to understand your questing but i try

a 4K 60hz video has the equal amount of Pixels per second like a 1080p 240hz

is that what you ask ?

1 hour ago, nelska said:

Like in a 4k youtube video. Should I turn my 240hz monitor up all the way or choose 1080p in the video settings on youtube? 

You're confusing two very different things.

The resolution, 1080p/2160p (4K) is about how many pixels are displayed on the screen at the same time (in the same refresh).

The refresh rate is about how many time that image can be changed in a second, leading to smoother motion.

You can't simply convert one to the other as they are completely different things.

However, when it comes to YouTube the picture quality will be better the higher the resolution you choose for playback, even if its a higher resolution than your screen can display.  This is due how the video compression works and your PC shrinking the image back down to fit, helping to hide any picture quality glitches from the compression.

Its often said that 1080p 60 and 4K 240Hz is the same number of pixels per second, because well, it is.  But that's only really relevant when considering the GPU load in gaming being similar.  Even there its over-simplified, the CPU load will be dramatically higher at a higher refresh rate which can prevent the game rendering any faster.  Plus how a particular game works can mean a higher refresh rate is actually harder than a higher resolution to render, vice versa.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, DG House said:

i have a hard time to understand your questing but i try

a 4K 60hz video has the equal amount of Pixels per second like a 1080p 240hz

is that what you ask ?

exactly this but would there be any visual effects or benefits of setting my monitor to 240hz to watch a 4k video at 1080p. lol. im guessing its a no. i just wasnt sure if they would somehow condense it to show 4x more frames at 1080p instead of just 60frames at 4k on a 1080p screen. 

49 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You're confusing two very different things.

The resolution, 1080p/2160p (4K) is about how many pixels are displayed on the screen at the same time (in the same refresh).

The refresh rate is about how many time that image can be changed in a second, leading to smoother motion.

You can't simply convert one to the other as they are completely different things.

However, when it comes to YouTube the picture quality will be better the higher the resolution you choose for playback, even if its a higher resolution than your screen can display.  This is due how the video compression works and your PC shrinking the image back down to fit, helping to hide any picture quality glitches from the compression.

Its often said that 1080p 60 and 4K 240Hz is the same number of pixels per second, because well, it is.  But that's only really relevant when considering the GPU load in gaming being similar.  Even there its over-simplified, the CPU load will be dramatically higher at a higher refresh rate which can prevent the game rendering any faster.  Plus how a particular game works can mean a higher refresh rate is actually harder than a higher resolution to render, vice versa.

so since youtube videos are at a refresh rate of 60fps its not gunna matter what happens when you change the physical refresh rate of the monitor over 60hz.

6 minutes ago, nelska said:

exactly this but would there be any visual effects or benefits of setting my monitor to 240hz to watch a 4k video at 1080p. lol. im guessing its a no. i just wasnt sure if they would somehow condense it to show 4x more frames at 1080p instead of just 60frames at 4k on a 1080p screen. 

Hz is a measure of cycles per second. A cycle can be anything really, but in the context of a display, it's talking about refreshing all the pixels on the screen. But, there's a unit of time there. The screen refresh is independent of what's happening with the content itself (aside from tech like variable refresh). In other words, whether there screen refreshes at 60Hz or 240Hz, it's still just displaying a video signal. If that signal doesn't have 240 frames to display in a second, then the monitor will simply redisplay the same frame(s) to match the signal.

So, taking the example of a YouTube video, which has a max of 60 FPS, if your monitor is set to 240Hz, it will simply display every frame 4 times. It's not creating new frames of content from ether.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, nelska said:

No, there would not.

YouTube doesn't know your monitor's refresh rate. It will simply send a video stream with at most 60 frames per second with the requested resolution to your computer to be displayed. At most it might lower the bit rate (and thus image quality) based on available bandwidth.

Your computer monitor refreshing what it shows 240 times per second is entirely independent of this. Your PC decodes the video stream and updates the contents of the GPU's video memory accordingly. The monitory simply reads what's there and shows it. If there is no new content to be shown, then it will simply show the same thing again.

YouTube also can't magically increase the frame rate of a video by 4x. The information for those additional frames simply isn't there.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

57 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Hz is a measure of cycles per second. A cycle can be anything really, but in the context of a display, it's talking about refreshing all the pixels on the screen. But, there's a unit of time there. The screen refresh is independent of what's happening with the content itself (aside from tech like variable refresh). In other words, whether there screen refreshes at 60Hz or 240Hz, it's still just displaying a video signal. If that signal doesn't have 240 frames to display in a second, then the monitor will simply redisplay the same frame(s) to match the signal.

So, taking the example of a YouTube video, which has a max of 60 FPS, if your monitor is set to 240Hz, it will simply display every frame 4 times. It's not creating new frames of content from ether.

so theres depth there. lol. but just not graphically. btw your not actually chris pratt right cuz i went to school with a girl who was in a movie with him. lol. 

41 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

No, there would not.

YouTube doesn't know your monitor's refresh rate. It will simply send a video stream with at most 60 frames per second with the requested resolution to your computer to be displayed. At most it might lower the bit rate (and thus image quality) based on available bandwidth.

Your computer monitor refreshing what it shows 240 times per second is entirely independent of this. Your PC decodes the video stream and update the contents of the GPUs video memory accordingly. The monitory simply reads what's there and shows it. If there is no new content to be shown, then it will simply show the same thing again.

YouTube also can't magically increase the frame rate of a video by 4x. The information for those additional frames simply isn't there.

so itll just be 1080p with 4x more frames lol. 

1 minute ago, nelska said:

so itll just be 1080p with 4x more frames lol. 

That's a somewhat misleading way to put it. The video still contains the exact same number of frames as it did previously. Your monitor simply shows each frame 4 times, before a new one is shown.

A 60 fps video on a 60 Hz monitor means each frame is shown exactly once. Each frame is visible for 16.666 milliseconds (1/60).

A 60 fps video on a 240 Hz monitor means each frame is shown four times. And four times 4.166 milliseconds is 16.666 milliseconds (1/240 * 4 or 4/240).

So each frame is visible for the same amount of time as previously, i.e. no visible difference at all.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

29 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's a somewhat misleading way to put it. The video still contains the exact same number of frames as it did previously. Your monitor simply shows each frame 4 times, before a new one is shown.

A 60 fps video on a 60 Hz monitor means each frame is shown exactly once. Each frame is visible for 16.666 milliseconds (1/60).

A 60 fps video on a 240 Hz monitor means each frame is shown four times. And four times 4.166 milliseconds is 16.666 milliseconds (1/240 * 4 or 4/240).

So each frame is visible for the same amount of time as previously, i.e. no visible difference at all.

i know im just laughing at my own stupidity at this point. thanks tho! lol. 

However using the OS feels better at higher refresh rates, ideally 120Hz or 240Hz if you ever watch videos from sources that might be 24fps so you do not get stuttering.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 9/26/2021 at 4:51 AM, nelska said:

with 1080p you could see individual pixels unless you sit far away or have a tiny monitor, but with 4k you won't

with 240hz it just updates faster, meaning it'll look "smoother"

to get an idea, you can go into Minecraft, then mess with the resolution and max framerate

in short, resolution (1080p, 4k etc) are how "clear" an image looks, while refresh rate (60hz, 240hz etc) are how smooth a video looks

you could think of hz as a measure of the monitor's FPS

On 9/26/2021 at 6:42 AM, nelska said:

you would be showing the exact same frame 4 times, then move on to the next

in other words, no, there'd be absolutely no difference, 1080p is pixel count, 240hz is pixel speed