Higher clock speed or more cores??

kes2006

So I got a streaming pc and rn I have a E5630 on lga 1366 oc and i need a faster cpu because I use software encoding I was thinking of getting a x5670 or an x5687 wich one should I get higher clock speed or more cores?

I'd caution you as a user that uses a dual 1366 setup these cpus are reaching the limits for what can be done streaming wise and even myself with two of these cpu's can typically only stream @ 480p smoothly. The platform is almost 12 years old so IDK if a single 1366 cpu is going to do what you really want.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

I'd caution you as a user that uses a dual 1366 setup these cpus are reaching the limits for what can be done streaming wise and even myself with two of these cpu's can typically only stream @ 480p smoothly. The platform is almost 12 years old so IDK if a single 1366 cpu is going to do what you really want.

Well I’m running a 4 core rn and it’s fine at 720p60 so 

Just now, kes2006 said:

Well I’m running a 4 core rn and it’s fine at 720p60 so 

are you gaming on the same system or only streaming a video feed

1 minute ago, emosun said:

are you gaming on the same system or only streaming a video feed

only for video feed my main has a r5 3600 and an r9 390x

Just now, kes2006 said:

only for video feed my main has a r5 3600 and an r9 390x

oh. yeah if its only streaming the video feed then it can do that just fine lol.i'd go with more cores and get an x5690 if your board supports it and you can find it at a decent price

46 minutes ago, kes2006 said:

So I got a streaming pc and rn I have a E5630 on lga 1366 oc and i need a faster cpu because I use software encoding I was thinking of getting a x5670 or an x5687 wich one should I get higher clock speed or more cores?

What is your mobo?

If its a trash board that cant oc then you can still get the w xeons and oc those, maybe even pad mod the cpus for more volts

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What is your mobo?

If its a trash board that cant oc then you can still get the w xeons and oc those, maybe even pad mod the cpus for more volts

msi x58 pro

Just now, kes2006 said:

msi x58 pro

Ok i think you may be able to oc

Though if you do get a chip prefferably the w xeons for unlocked multi so if you hit a bclk wall you can just raise multi

Max "safe" volt ~1.7 (following my rule of thumb which is -0.3v highest xoc volt i could find)

Reccomended safe volt 1.6v (i mean these cpus seem to tolerate volts just as well at the 45nm cores and nehalems)

I suggest keeping temps under 80c for longevity but if you dont use high volts then you may be able to get away with running higher temps

On 9/24/2021 at 7:50 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ok i think you may be able to oc

Though if you do get a chip prefferably the w xeons for unlocked multi so if you hit a bclk wall you can just raise multi

Max "safe" volt ~1.7 (following my rule of thumb which is -0.3v highest xoc volt i could find)

Reccomended safe volt 1.6v (i mean these cpus seem to tolerate volts just as well at the 45nm cores and nehalems)

I suggest keeping temps under 80c for longevity but if you dont use high volts then you may be able to get away with running higher temps

Sorry for the late reply what cooler would you recommend for oc because I only have the stock one atm and I don’t want to spent too much on it

52 minutes ago, kes2006 said:

Sorry for the late reply what cooler would you recommend for oc because I only have the stock one atm and I don’t want to spent too much on it

What is your budget and what country do you come from?

19 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What is your budget and what country do you come from?

my budget is as low as possible i want to try and spent as little as possible and im in the netherlands

2 hours ago, kes2006 said:

my budget is as low as possible i want to try and spent as little as possible and im in the netherlands

Maybe search for a cheap dual tower like the fuma 2