Thumbnails won't show on copied files

I've been having a problem with my new laptop and it is truly aggravating, especially since because what most of what I do is image based.

I had A LOT of files on my old Windows 7 laptop going back 10+ years that I needed to move to my new Windows 10 laptop.

I initially tried moving files via an ethernet cable between the two by following guides since I didn't really know how. It wasn't working. After many hours of trying to troubleshoot, changing settings of files etc, having trouble with permissions stuff etc... It worked momentarily then stopped. So I had to give up and try another way.

I decided the best way to go about it would be to copy everything over to a new external drive (I needed to make a big backup anyway) and then copy them over to my new laptop. It appeared to go well, until I noticed something.

Creating new files on the new laptop? Totally fine. The files copied over? No unique thumbnails for things like image files and video files. Instead they just the default Windows icon designs - Which means I can't see what things like images/videos are unless I individually open each one, which is just not workable obviously.

I've tried multiple things -

• File Explorer Options > making sure that 'Always show icons, never thumbnails' is unchecked. I also tried checking it, applying, and un-checking it again because "you never know".
  • File Explorer Options > General tab > Restore Defaults
  • File Explorer Options > View tab > Restore Defaults
  • Right-click folder > Properties > Customize > Restore Default
  • Disk Cleanup > thumbnails
  • Windows' File and Folder Troubleshooter
  • Command Prompt > sfc /scannow
  • Command Prompt > taskkill /f /im explorer.exe > del /f /s /q /a %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_*.db > start explorer.exe

Not a single thing has worked so far, and like I said, I can't get any work done because my image and video files are so extensive, go back a decade, and I use them every day. It's incredibly stressful.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

You might want to check in properties/security that you're the owner of all files/folders you copied.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2