Workstation advice - need a new editing rig

Tristerin

Been using my 3600/RTX 2060 combo to learn premiere pro and its ilk.  Ive gotten to the point that at 1/4 res playback, with the layers and shit I got going on the CPU is chugging plain and simple.  Rendering times, between edits need to also be reduced.  The spend is to save me time while editing, and drastically reduce render times between final edits.  Ive stepped away from super technical stuff for quite a few months so want to touch base here before purchasing gear.

This machine will be used as a backup in the evenings for offsite (since its at my house) physical backups as well so note below the mobo needs.  Also a test bed for a ricochet system we are setting up.

Looks - UNIMPORTANT - no RGB - wife hates the light and this will be running at night.

Need:

CPU (5950x preferred and budgeted for nothing purchased yet)

Mobo (needs 2x NVMe and lots of SATA ports - can get addon cards as well, looks unimportant)

RAM (64gb rqd) (must be 100% stable, and fast - so last I read CL14 3600 was a sweet spot not sure atm)

PSU - Not sure I want to slap an ARESGAME freebie in this build 😉 and want plenty of headroom to POSSIBLY include an RTX 3090 in terms of future juice

Case wise Ill probably go with another Meshify 2 (its worked perfectly for the last 2 builds) - unless something has creeped on the market that needs my attention let me know!

GPU - Keeping the RTX 2060 to migrate in this build

HDD's - probably sticking with WDReds Pro's - havent purchased yet, have had great results with last two file storage builds with those HDD's.

Cant think of anything else atm please give me your build suggestions around this!

Main use - Video editing

Secondary use - Gaming

Tertiary use - Night time backups

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Been using my 3600/RTX 2060 combo to learn premiere pro and its ilk.  Ive gotten to the point that at 1/4 res playback, with the layers and shit I got going on the CPU is chugging plain and simple.  Rendering times, between edits need to also be reduced.  The spend is to save me time while editing, and drastically reduce render times between final edits.  Ive stepped away from super technical stuff for quite a few months so want to touch base here before purchasing gear.

This machine will be used as a backup in the evenings for offsite (since its at my house) physical backups as well so note below the mobo needs.  Also a test bed for a ricochet system we are setting up.

Looks - UNIMPORTANT - no RGB - wife hates the light and this will be running at night.

Need:

CPU (5950x preferred and budgeted for nothing purchased yet)

Mobo (needs 2x NVMe and lots of SATA ports - can get addon cards as well, looks unimportant)

RAM (64gb rqd) (must be 100% stable, and fast - so last I read CL14 3600 was a sweet spot not sure atm)

PSU - Not sure I want to slap an ARESGAME freebie in this build 😉 and want plenty of headroom to POSSIBLY include an RTX 3090 in terms of future juice

Case wise Ill probably go with another Meshify 2 (its worked perfectly for the last 2 builds) - unless something has creeped on the market that needs my attention let me know!

GPU - Keeping the RTX 2060 to migrate in this build

HDD's - probably sticking with WDReds Pro's - havent purchased yet, have had great results with last two file storage builds with those HDD's.

Cant think of anything else atm please give me your build suggestions around this!

Main use - Video editing

Secondary use - Gaming

Tertiary use - Night time backups

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

Assuming you can get it with the fix, Maybe Fractal Design Torrent may be worth considering?

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

Gen 4 or Gen 3 NVMes?

There is many reliable PSUs, 1000-1200W will be needed, So get whatever you can find for good price, maybe good deal on something like that.

G.skill Ripjaws V will be good I think.

That is more of personal preference, As long as it have good airflow and fits your needs, You are welcome to chose whatever you like 😄 😄 

I went with the most premium build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($729.00 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($134.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($389.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($284.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($329.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($146.76 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA G5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($200.75 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2216.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-23 11:26 EDT-0400

4 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Case wise Ill probably go with another Meshify 2

That's a great case! I believe Gamer's Nexus was relatively impressed with it. Here are other cases you can consider:

2 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

I went with the most premium build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($729.00 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($134.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($389.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($284.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($329.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($146.76 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA G5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($200.75 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2216.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-23 11:26 EDT-0400

That's a great case! I believe Gamer's Nexus was relatively impressed with it. Here are other cases you can consider:

You put CL18 memory there and you call it premium? 😄 

Here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3RfDGq

14 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

You put CL18 memory there and you call it premium? 😄 

tbh, for 64gb of memmory in 4 dimms, it kinda is at that speed...........

what you picked is litterally more than twice the cost for very very minor increases in performance. 

17 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

just not a very impressive powersupply to spend 200$ on, like for 200$ its pretty underwhealming for what it is. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nQJkcf/corsair-hx-platinum-1000w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020139-na

especially considering one of the best powersupplies on the market is the same price. 

edit: even the G6, a relatively decent powersupply is cheaper than the G5. 
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QdFbt6/evga-supernova-g6-1000-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g6-1000-x1

but if you are gonna get something nice, a Corsair HX is pretty much the way to go. 

17 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

also swap for Lian Li Galahad, EK AIO Basic or a Arctic liquid Freezer 2. 

21 hours ago, Tristerin said:

not sure how many HDDs you are looking to get, but 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TVJmP6/be-quiet-silent-base-802-atx-mid-tower-case-bgw39
a bequiet 802 does allow you to fit a lot of HDDs, however you need to get a few more of the bays that hold the HDDs, but the HDDs will then get airflow from the front case fans.