Borg Cube (gen 1) MyCherryTree

IPD

I'd like to chime in here with my long-term review of the Borg Cube PC case from MyCherryTree.  This is the 14x14x14 ATX case, 1st gen, not the later 15x15x15 version/s.  MyCherryTree seems to continually refine and improve their product, and that's ideal in any manufacturer.  I can speak to this personally, as my PC had originally arrived with a support bracket for the PSU broken off (it's glued to the side of the case).  Eventually this caused warping in the plastic case, due to the weight of the PSU on its mount screws.  They were happy to transplant my rig into an updated version of that gen 1 case (with an improved design/bracket), and that is what I still have.

Common thoughts on this case by casual observers are that it appears to lack proper cooling.  I have informally tested this with 4k gaming on the most recent "new" game I had when I purchased it--Overload.  Temps barely got up to the 80C range.  The CPU is water cooled on mine.  The GPU is air cooled.

180319-ct-152-Edit_1000_2048x.jpg?v=1631

You can see from this pic on their website, that the PSU (left) and heat exchanger (right) both vent on the back.  There is also a 120mm case fan on top.  All 3 exhaust heat externally.  Airflow comes into the unit on the grille surrounding the GPU card (mine look more like a mesh/screen than the ones pictured here).  In gist, although I wouldn't recommend this for overclockers, for most gamers, this case works quite well.  And I can only venture a guess about airflow/feature improvements on newer versions.

The case is made from 3D printed plastic (I believe they added some metal framework to the newer versions).  I believe these are still fully licensed Star Trek products (mine came in a box with Trek graphics all over it).  This case is QUITE heavy, but not unreasonably so.

This is a designer/premium case, given the price point, but I am overall happy with my purchase.  And given the memorabilia aspect, I will likely keep this case when I need a refresh (although I hope an 8600k and a 1080GTX will be good for quite some time).

We are the Borg, your dust will be assimilated, cleaning is futile.

Have you tried to dust it yet? I imagine it'll be a challenge haha.

Nah.  Not hard.  Actually wasn't too bad on the inside.

8 allen screws to hold the top on.  Sure, not the most user-accessible case ever made.  But I come form the days when you had at least that many hex screws you'd have to remove to get into a case.

Really doesn't get significant airflow from the holes on the sides.  So it's pretty much the hole on the back by the IO panel where you would see most dust.  And since that's facing a wall, airflow is decent, but dust isn't plentiful.

Oh, and no cats.  And I use good hepa filters.  And vacuum religiously.  *shrug*