Out of space!

darbstew

my OS drive is a 250gb SSD. i knew when i bought it that i was already sealing my fate. but what could i have done at the time i was broke. 

Anyways. im out of space. and since it was an SSD at the time i only had league installed on it so i could flame others about their slow "toasters" since then ive deleted that and well over 30gbs of videos and it never frees up the equal space. literally 2 days ago i managed to delete 5 gbs of random stuff i didn't need on this drive and today i have 325mb of 231 free. and i haven't downloaded anything on to it. all my launchers are on other drives and so are my games and my downloads from browsers are to other drives. im honestly at a loss. should i bite the bullet and get a bigger drive and deal with that mess?

i couldn't really think of any relevant photos to post here. 

Are you actually deleting the stuff, or sending it to the recycle bin? The space won't be freed up until you empty the bin.

22 minutes ago, darbstew said:

my OS drive is a 250gb SSD. i knew when i bought it that i was already sealing my fate. but what could i have done at the time i was broke. 

Anyways. im out of space. and since it was an SSD at the time i only had league installed on it so i could flame others about their slow "toasters" since then ive deleted that and well over 30gbs of videos and it never frees up the equal space. literally 2 days ago i managed to delete 5 gbs of random stuff i didn't need on this drive and today i have 325mb of 231 free. and i haven't downloaded anything on to it. all my launchers are on other drives and so are my games and my downloads from browsers are to other drives. im honestly at a loss. should i bite the bullet and get a bigger drive and deal with that mess?

I have had my boot drive be 120GB, 250GB, and now 400GB. (All partitioned from a 1TB SSD)

120GB - Definitely not enough, I have trouble uncompressing files as they tend to go to C drive under temp.
250GB - I feel like it should be enough, but everything have to be installed on a different drive. Literally everything, keep only OS and drivers on C drive.

400GB - Following 250GB's logic, I now have 310GB out of 400GB Free. This is not necessary, but since I had to do a reinstall of Window, 400GB seems to be the sweet spot for me.

For reference, I have 3 1TB SSDs.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

3 minutes ago, Shoopman said:

Are you actually deleting the stuff, or sending it to the recycle bin? The space won't be freed up until you empty the bin.

Well i hadn't thought of that. i just did that and it only cleared 8.5 gbs of my main drive. 

10 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

120GB - Definitely not enough, I have trouble uncompressing files as they tend to go to C drive under temp.

Not on topic, but have you tried setting up a RAM disk to store temp files? If you have the RAM to spare it's really nice to have.

Just now, Shoopman said:

Not on topic, but have you tried setting up a RAM disk to store temp files? If you have the RAM to spare it's really nice to have.

No I have not tried, I have 48GB of RAM, but 250GB boot drive still made me be space conscious.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

Just now, Pikatchu said:

No I have not tried, I have 48GB of RAM, but 250GB boot drive still made me be space conscious.

I have a 12GB RAM disk set up via ImDisk (Photoshop won't accept it as a scratch disk if it is any smaller). ImDisk has a dynamic allocation feature so that I am not constantly using 12GB of extra RAM, it will instead fill up only what is needed. The program is free, just make sure to change your Temp folder back to the C drive if you decide you don't like it or else a ton of stuff will break.

43 minutes ago, darbstew said:

Well you have 2 options;
1. delete stuff (or be fancy and get programs to auto delete stuff)

2. get more storage
There is really no way around those two, so if you don’t want to delete more files, you have to get more storage.

https://www.howtogeek.com/113012/10-best-free-tools-to-analyze-hard-drive-space-on-your-windows-pc/

When your hard drive starts to fill up, you don’t have to dig through File Explorer to see what’s using space. You can use a disk space analyzer to scan your drive (or just a single folder) and see exactly which folders and files are using space. You can then make an informed decision about what to remove and quickly free up space.

Best of luck finding the culprit.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

• 6 months later...

when i first built this PC i have i was piss pour. started off with a 250gb and all i had on it was LOL and curse and then normal PC stuff. since then ive added 7tb worth of space in the form of other drives. 

i knew it was gonna come to bite me in the ass which is why i only downloaded LOL on it. since then ive quit that game. anyways, now its full. SUPER full 252MB free full. I've deleted the game from it and moved and deleted EVERYTHING i put on that drive. I've gone through and deleted things here and there on google searches and most of the time that only buys me a GB for a few weeks and then before i know it its full again.

I KNOW that the best thing to do is to install windows on another drive and just clear that one but im trying to avoid that headache at all possible. what are solutions to my problem? google wasn't a big help. 

i just saw i posted this a few months ago, memory of a goldfish here. i cant find a "delete" button, 

Just making sure, you've gone through the WinDirStat method of clearing stuff out, right? that really does work, and while 240GB is low by modern standards, if you're not storing games on it it should still be fine. 

That said, if you just need a ton of stuff on it and don't feel like fixing it, get the new drive then run a cloning utility. Clonezilla is an awesome one in my experience, but it's a bit more advanced (command line in a bootable Linux USB). There are some other cloning utilities like Acronis that work inside Windows, but most of them require a license in order to use. You're best bet is still to just reinstall Windows on a new drive with more storage, but I get that's a headache for most people and this is a way to avoid it.

11 hours ago, darbstew said:

i just saw i posted this a few months ago, memory of a goldfish here. i cant find a "delete" button, 

Merged with the original. You can inform moderation if you want thread removed, locked, merged etc. by reporting it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv