Windows put boot manager on wrong drive?

ImAlsoRan

I recently tried to solve my motherboard's POSTing issues, assuming that it was the motherboard's fault. 

However, I realized that my motherboard was not really at fault. Turns out my Windows boot manager, which I assumed was on my NVMe drive, was actually on the slowest machine in my system, which is why I made a new topic since it's now a Windows issue. I don't know how this happened and my BIOS has no option for my Crucial P5. How can I move my boot manager without reinstalling my Windows? I've seen forum posts where this happens repeatedly to the same user.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

I assume you're not open to doing a clean installation of Windows? This issue is precisely why it's best practice to remove or disconnect all drives in the system apart from the one you want Windows to boot from when installing Windows itself. You might be able to move it with something like EasyBCD, but it's been ages since I last used that software, so not sure if it still works with Windows 10 properly. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Just now, BondiBlue said:

I assume you're not open to doing a clean installation of Windows? This issue is precisely why it's best practice to remove or disconnect all drives in the system apart from the one you want Windows to boot from when installing Windows itself. You might be able to move it with something like EasyBCD, but it's been ages since I last used that software, so not sure if it still works with Windows 10 properly. 

I think BCD is a BIOS thing, not 100% sure. I've seen reports on Spiceworks of Windows just deciding to move it to another drive during an update so I'm not 100% how long disconnecting the drives upon install would actually stay.

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

1 minute ago, ImAlsoRan said:

I think BCD is a BIOS thing, not 100% sure. I've seen reports on Spiceworks of Windows just deciding to move it to another drive during an update so I'm not 100% how long disconnecting the drives upon install would actually stay.

BCD isn't specific to BIOS or UEFI. I used it with early versions of Windows 10 (10240, etc.), but it should still work these days. As for being moved during an update - that would really suck in systems with many drives. I've personally never had that happen to me, but I very rarely (read: almost never) install updates. I last updated this machine over a year and a half ago. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Just now, BondiBlue said:

BCD isn't specific to BIOS or UEFI. I used it with early versions of Windows 10 (10240, etc.), but it should still work these days. As for being moved during an update - that would really suck in systems with many drives. I've personally never had that happen to me, but I very rarely (read: almost never) install updates. I last updated this machine over a year and a half ago. 

Maybe it's because my secondary drive is B:/ and not D:/? I set it to that be that because when I reinstalled it I didn't want to break any paths.

This is exactly why I always disconnect every other drive when installing windows. There is a way to fix this and when I’m at a PC next I can probably find it if someone else doesn’t first. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/52837-moving-recreating-efi-partition.html

This is how you move it to another drive. You do need the windows install media to do it.

I won't lose any data from this, right?

Just now, ImAlsoRan said:

I won't lose any data from this, right?

No, as long as you follow the guide you'll be fine. You aren't formatting the drive or anything, just adjusting the partition table.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

No, as long as you follow the guide you'll be fine. You aren't formatting the drive or anything, just adjusting the partition table.

Nice. Was just worried since I know some OSes are stingy as to what sectors you put your EFI partition and I'm obviously not able to put something in the first sector anymore without a massive overtaking. Good to see this won't need it.

Just now, ImAlsoRan said:

Nice. Was just worried since I know some OSes are stingy as to what sectors you put your EFI partition and I'm obviously not able to put something in the first sector anymore without a massive overtaking. Good to see this won't need it.

I've had to do it once or twice before on other system, and this is the basic method for how to do it. 

22 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Followed that guide, it tried to format my partition 2 as fat32 (my Windows partition)! It got 0% of the way through but now my C:/ drive is RAW! How do I get it back to NTFS without losing data? AFAIK, none of the data left, but the partition is now stuck as RAW.