Lightning to HDMI - How?

ka_re_t

I’ve been using a lightning to HDMI adapter with my iPhone and iPad and it looks great, even on a 4K tv.  But this raises a question: how is this the case? If lightning operates at USB 2.0 speeds (as Linus says), how can it transfer video in such great quality?  I don’t see compression artifacts or anything… 

USB-A to Lighting is still 2.0, but when you're using an HDMI adapter, USB isn't used at all. The Lightning connector is just passing HDMI signaling. 

I'm actually incorrect there, at least according to this article from 2013. However, USB still doesn't come into play. There is more going on with a Lightning connector than just USB, Apple has free reign to send whatever they want over it depending on host device. 

https://www.engadget.com/2013-03-04-heres-how-apples-lightning-to-hdmi-digital-av-adapter-probably.html

7 minutes ago, rickeo said:

I'm actually incorrect there, at least according to this article from 2013. However, USB still doesn't come into play. There is more going on with a Lightning connector than just USB, Apple has free reign to send whatever they want over it depending on host device. 

https://www.engadget.com/2013-03-04-heres-how-apples-lightning-to-hdmi-digital-av-adapter-probably.html

Ok.  I was mainly assuming they just had some sort of USB controller hooked up, which would probably require some special abuse of the protocol to send AV signals.  But that makes sense if it’s all hooked up directly to the SOC