Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm looking to buy a laptop, haven't done so in a very long time.

Good CPU preferably ryzen since they typically have better on board graphics.

At least 16 GB ram and 512 storage
Capability to have two storage drives since i would like to dual boot Linux and Windows and have had bad luck in the past running them both from the same drive (namely with the bootloaders)
No issues with running Linux ( Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Pop OS ect.)
It doesn't necessarily need a discrete GPU if it has decent on board graphics.

A touch screen would be nice
2-in-1 functionality would be nice as well.
but all that would need to work with Linux as well, so.

Anyway, what are my best options? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult to find models with 2 storage slots and 2-in-1.

 

If it doesn't have to be a convertible: THinkpad E15 G3? Mediocre Display (60% sRGB), however Thinkpads usually run great with Linux, and this Model has 2 M.2 Slots.

It has 8gb soldered Ram + 1 free Slot for a maximum of 24gb (But only maximum 16gb Ram will run in Dual Channel).

 

Most Convertibles will have only 1 M.2 slot sadly. At least i can't think of one, that checks all boxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe check the Lenovo Flex lineup, they have some really good pieces over there. Since I don't know your budget, or your country's price ranges and discount sites, I can't say a lot of things, but generally look for Lenovo, Asus, and Acer laptops. HP and Dell have some weird stuff going on in their BIOS, especially HP. Dell actually has some laptops running Linux, so maybe check them out, however I tend towards the first three. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fjolfrin said:

Maybe check the Lenovo Flex lineup, they have some really good pieces over there. Since I don't know your budget, or your country's price ranges and discount sites, I can't say a lot of things, but generally look for Lenovo, Asus, and Acer laptops. HP and Dell have some weird stuff going on in their BIOS, especially HP. Dell actually has some laptops running Linux, so maybe check them out, however I tend towards the first three. 

 

I live in the US and i haven't really set an budget exactly though i don't want to spend more than i have to, of course.

What about the Dell Inspiron 15 5515, it's not a 2-in-1 but does have a touch screen, and from the specs i see it shows it having 2 drive slots but i'm unsure of the quality and the Linux compatibility. I'll have a look at the Thinkpad E15 G3 like the previous poster mentioned but i don't really like that it has some of the ram soldered in, it really limits the upgradability.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Excalibur. said:

I live in the US and i haven't really set an budget exactly though i don't want to spend more than i have to, of course.

What about the Dell Inspiron 15 5515, it's not a 2-in-1 but does have a touch screen, and from the specs i see it shows it having 2 drive slots but i'm unsure of the quality and the Linux compatibility. I'll have a look at the Thinkpad E15 G3 like the previous poster mentioned but i don't really like that it has some of the ram soldered in, it really limits the upgradability.

Yes this laptop is good, especially if you go with the ryzen version. I don't see anything that would prohibit Linux. If you like it go for it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Fjolfrin said:

Yes this laptop is good, especially if you go with the ryzen version. I don't see anything that would prohibit Linux. If you like it go for it!

Thanks, the ryzen version is the one i was referring to actually, but i'm still looking to see if there are any better options out there or if there are any major issues with that laptop, i know the main thing with a lot of laptops when using it with Linux is driver issues and certain things may not work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought about something, not sure how well (or if) it would work but it should, since most laptops have an SD or micro SD card slot, couldn't it be set to boot from the card slot in the bios, and have the Grub boot loader, that Linux uses, on the SD card and then just partition the single m.2, that most 2-in-1 and other new laptops have, for both Linux and Windows, so that way Windows will not overwrite the Grub boot-loader with it's own, when ever it updates, that was the main issue i would have with both Windows and Linux sharing a single drive in the past. An SD card might not be best to run the entire OS from but using it only for the Grub boot-loader only seems like it should work assuming whatever laptop can boot from the card slot.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work, and if so, how difficult would it be?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×