Inconsistent CPU temps

slattymatty

I built my PC about 4 years ago now and it runs with an i7 7700K and Corsair H100i v2 cooler. Recently I upgraded my 1060 graphics card to an RTX 3070ti and ever since my PC seems to have trouble with maintaining proper cooling.  Before, my CPU would stay in the range of 30-50 Degrees Celsius, but now it reaches high 60s while Idle, and even up to 90s while playing games such as Metro Exodus.  If anyone has any suggestions on what may be causing these wild temperatures, please let me know because these are very unusual for me. Below is a screenshot of Idle temperatures.
c6835503c86db6ebac8d582c8006c1cc.png

do you have extra thermal paste?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

have you tried checking the tubes if it has vibrations? seems like bad mount or worst, dead pump cuz a 90c is just way too much to get given that you have an aio.

If you havent replaced the thermal paste in the last 4 years, that is why. If you did, you might be looking into delidding as thermal paste inside the CPU will also need replacing.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

16 minutes ago, Levent said:

If you havent replaced the thermal paste in the last 4 years, that is why. If you did, you might be looking into delidding as thermal paste inside the CPU will also need replacing.

The TIM under the IHS will be fine for much more then 4 years.

1 hour ago, slattymatty said:

I built my PC about 4 years ago now and it runs with an i7 7700K and Corsair H100i v2 cooler. Recently I upgraded my 1060 graphics card to an RTX 3070ti and ever since my PC seems to have trouble with maintaining proper cooling.  Before, my CPU would stay in the range of 30-50 Degrees Celsius, but now it reaches high 60s while Idle, and even up to 90s while playing games such as Metro Exodus.  If anyone has any suggestions on what may be causing these wild temperatures, please let me know because these are very unusual for me. Below is a screenshot of Idle temperatures.
c6835503c86db6ebac8d582c8006c1cc.png

It’s possible new paste would help, or possibly just reseating the water block. Make sure all the screws are fastened, make sure all fans are plugged in, and is it overclocked at all?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

agreed start with replacing your TIM. 

delidding probably would be a good idea.

I'd also recommend checking your pump speed  there is only 2 options well theres 3 but balanced doesnt really count. pump speed should just be set to extreme aka 100%.

I'd also listen to your pump. if you hear a grindy noise its corrosion particles stuck in the pump.  you can also pull out the aio a shake it. if you feel like there is a lot of air in the aio that could be your issue. you can refub your aio if these are an issue. I've done it, it's easy, but you'll need regular annual maintenance. 

imho the h100i v2 was a crappy aio. the pump has a terrible design. actually the pump itself is decent but the inlet outlet to from the pump are to small. and the hole system is all done through brute force. including the fans.

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I disagree, 4 years is when I would suggest delidding. Intel's thermal paste is not magic, no thermal paste will last that long while keeping the same thermal conductivity of first year of use. I delidded my 3570K after 7-8 months of getting it and even then I got 10-15c decrease in thermals. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

10 minutes ago, Levent said:

I disagree, 4 years is when I would suggest delidding. Intel's thermal paste is not magic, no thermal paste will last that long while keeping the same thermal conductivity of first year of use. I delidded my 3570K after 7-8 months of getting it and even then I got 10-15c decrease in thermals. 

I delid a 4770k and dropped 20c, but that has nothing to do with the age of the TIM… my i7 920 still runs about the same temps it did when it was new. If the TIM under the IHS degraded that rapidly no 2600k’s would still be alive, nor any core 2 duo’s or quads.

Intels TIM between IHS and die certainly isn’t magic. But it doesn’t degrade in the way you suggest. My 6700k that has had a 4.6 OC on it basically it’s entire life runs as far as I can tell, exactly the same as it did when it was new, and this is a machine I actually use somewhat often unlike the i7 920 which is just sentimental value at this point.

Also, I wouldn’t really ever suggest to someone to delid unless they are outright seeking info on it. It’s not exactly a beginner endeavor, and it’s certainly not the solution to temperature issues at stock speeds. No stock speed CPU would need a delid; other options or issues should be considered. Not saying a delid wouldn’t make it run cooler, but a stock clock 7700k shouldn’t be hitting 90c, especially on water. Something must be amiss. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

5 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

my i7 920 still runs about the same temps it did when it was new.

FYI i7 920 is soldered, there is a BIG difference and it cannot be compared to anything with a thermal paste between IHS and CPU die. Ivy Bridge and newer CPU use thermal paste.

What rpm is the pump running at? Have you tried reseating the cpu cooling block?

What case are you using and where is the rad mounted?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, Levent said:

FYI i7 920 is soldered, there is a BIG difference and it cannot be compared to anything with a thermal paste between IHS and CPU die. Ivy Bridge and newer CPU use thermal paste.

That’s fair, but my 6700k hasn’t had any degradation, nor has my brothers 3770k, or my homelab that has been on 24/7/365 for years now running a 6100. Again, deliding shouldn’t be necessary for stock and stock-adjacent usage. Heavy overclocks certainly benefit, but if stock speeds require a delid, something is wrong. 

12 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

It’s possible new paste would help, or possibly just reseating the water block. Make sure all the screws are fastened, make sure all fans are plugged in, and is it overclocked at all?

Not overclocked, some fans were previously unplugged without me noticing but they are working fine now.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What rpm is the pump running at? Have you tried reseating the cpu cooling block?

What case are you using and where is the rad mounted?

Pump is running at 3000 RPM, using an NZXT S340 case with the radiator mounted on the front cooling panel. Might have to reseat the CPU cooling block.

12 hours ago, narrdarr said:

agreed start with replacing your TIM. 

delidding probably would be a good idea.

I'd also recommend checking your pump speed  there is only 2 options well theres 3 but balanced doesnt really count. pump speed should just be set to extreme aka 100%.

I'd also listen to your pump. if you hear a grindy noise its corrosion particles stuck in the pump.  you can also pull out the aio a shake it. if you feel like there is a lot of air in the aio that could be your issue. you can refub your aio if these are an issue. I've done it, it's easy, but you'll need regular annual maintenance. 

imho the h100i v2 was a crappy aio. the pump has a terrible design. actually the pump itself is decent but the inlet outlet to from the pump are to small. and the hole system is all done through brute force. including the fans.

I will look into delidding, I would expect the TIM to last more than 4 years tho... Pump is running at 3000 RPM and is set to extreme. AIO sounds and looks like its running properly but there could be some dust build up underneath the fans.

13 hours ago, kobubu said:

have you tried checking the tubes if it has vibrations? seems like bad mount or worst, dead pump cuz a 90c is just way too much to get given that you have an aio.

Nothing really seems wrong with the cooler in all honesty, just a little bit of dust building up on the radiator but nothing too bad.

3 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

That’s fair, but my 6700k hasn’t had any degradation, nor has my brothers 3770k, or my homelab that has been on 24/7/365 for years now running a 6100. Again, deliding shouldn’t be necessary for stock and stock-adjacent usage. Heavy overclocks certainly benefit, but if stock speeds require a delid, something is wrong. 

I kind of agree, delidding might be a helpful solution, but this problem seems to only have existed after I replaced my GPU. I was just looking into my case more with the PC running to check airflow and it seems like the heat is rising off the GPU into the rest of the motherboard. Could it be that?

Just checked the airflow inside my case personally. It seems like my 3070ti is giving off heat to the rest of the motherboard because the hot air is rising. This seems logically like its the answer to the problem because my CPU temps seem to have risen when I upgraded my GPU. Does any one have any proper solutions to this? Or should I still delid and apply more thermal paste?

1 hour ago, slattymatty said:

Just checked the airflow inside my case personally. It seems like my 3070ti is giving off heat to the rest of the motherboard because the hot air is rising. This seems logically like its the answer to the problem because my CPU temps seem to have risen when I upgraded my GPU. Does any one have any proper solutions to this? Or should I still delid and apply more thermal paste?

Convection practically doesn't apply when there's active cooling with case fans. 

Ambient case temps rise if there's isn't enough case airflow to deal with the more power hungry graphics card.

How are case fans oriented? Do you have a fan at the top and rear for exhaust? What rpm are they running at under load?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, slattymatty said:

Yes, that is a thing, but it shouldn't be causing that much of a difference, especially at idle when the GPU isn't really producing much heat...

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Convection practically doesn't apply when there's active cooling with case fans. 

Ambient case temps rise if there's isn't enough case airflow to deal with the more power hungry graphics card.

How are case fans oriented? Do you have a fan at the top and rear for exhaust? What rpm are they running at under load?

This

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The radiator fans on the front of the case point towards the rear of the case, with two case fans pointing out of the case for exhaust, as they should be. Case fans are running at about 950 RPM with the AIO fans running at about 2220 RPM, all on performance mode.

22 hours ago, slattymatty said:

The radiator fans on the front of the case point towards the rear of the case, with two case fans pointing out of the case for exhaust, as they should be. Case fans are running at about 950 RPM with the AIO fans running at about 2220 RPM, all on performance mode.

That's decent rpm. Have you tried reseating the cpu cooling block yet? Make sure that it's tightened fully and gradually in an X-pattern.