newer hdd in older system

TheSpokySkull

Hello! I have an old computer and i wanna upgrade the hdd to a newer one (seagate 1tb 7200rmp 64mb buffer).

Pc specs:

Pentium D 3.00ghz

1.5gb ram (i don't know the freq and i don't have time to see in bios)

Motherboard: UNKNOWN

GPU: Integrated graphics card 256mb

this computer it's older than me i know and i will build a costume pc with a LOT newer hardware.My current computer runs very good for its specs on Windows 7 32bit normal tasking it's accetable and gaming not really good.I would get a newer hdd but i don't know if it needs something else to run it....or if it's incompatible.I wanted to get a HDD for my current pc to improve the normaltasking by a lot and the in-game performance too and i want to go for Windows 7 64bit because 1.My proccesor it's supported for 64bit and the cpu etc will run a LOT better.( PS I DON'T WANT A SSD BECAUSE I WANT TO GET A M.2 AT THE NEW PC)

So can my old hardware is capable to run with this HDD?

1 TB drive is fine. You can use up to 2 TB drives without any worries (above that needs GPT support), as long as you have SATA ports available - generation/speed is irrelevant here.

But I don't think you will get much better performance, unless your current HDD is on it's way out and has gotten slow.

In addition, check that you have 64bit drivers available for your motherboard, otherwise you can run into issues. You won't gain any performance with going 64bit either - application compatibility might be another thing though.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

5 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

1 TB drive is fine. You can use up to 2 TB drives without any worries (above that needs GPT support), as long as you have SATA ports available - generation/speed is irrelevant here.

But I don't think you will get much better performance, unless your current HDD is on it's way out and has gotten slow.

In addition, check that you have 64bit drivers available for your motherboard, otherwise you can run into issues. You won't gain any performance with going 64bit either - application compatibility might be another thing though.

Hello!Thanks for your help!I said i don't want to get an ssd because i will go for m.2 in the new build for better performance and my hdd it has a pretty low rmp and it has 5/6 years so i thinked if i would changed it to a better hdd it would be faster and i can put it in the new one.I saw a video on youtube and the windows 32bit and 64bit does improve performance by a lot.It was two laptops with same specs and windows 7 32 bit and 64bit and the 64bit got a score of 2000+ and the 32bit got 500

EDIT: sorry i missunderstood

5 minutes ago, Darkwing Drex said:

As long as the MoBo has a SATA interface, you should be fine.

how can i check the mbo if it has a sata interface

3 minutes ago, immacat said:

What does the motherboard use to connect HDDs, there is either a ribbon style cable going to the HDD currently in it or it has two separate cables one to the motherboard the other to the power supply, if you can post a picture of the current HDD connection that would be an easy way to tell.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

5 minutes ago, immacat said:

Look at your motherboard and your current drive and see if it’s using these:

62ED0575-78D3-4B1C-A7A2-4CF9F9281A64.thumb.jpeg.3206007c70733821ad08108806768511.jpeg

if it’s a giant gray ribbon cable it’s IDE and that’s a different standard where a hard drive upgrade won’t matter 

AE831351-B0FC-4A3B-B47E-3D4B7ECD8843.jpeg.3cdc032b47367b15219becd0b7200623.jpeg

You should be able to see it on the MoBo. Second, you'll also need a SATA power connection to your PSU. 

File:SATA ports.jpg - Wikimedia CommonsMolex IDE to Serial ATA Power Adapter Cable (Single)

Salisbury steak isn't steak.

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

Look at your motherboard and your current drive and see if it’s using these:

62ED0575-78D3-4B1C-A7A2-4CF9F9281A64.thumb.jpeg.3206007c70733821ad08108806768511.jpeg

if it’s a giant gray ribbon cable it’s IDE and that’s a different standard where a hard drive upgrade won’t matter 

i have it just like this

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

What does the motherboard use to connect HDDs, there is either a ribbon style cable going to the HDD currently in it or it has two separate cables one to the motherboard the other to the power supply, if you can post a picture of the current HDD connection that would be an easy way to tell.

i know that there are three cables and i don't know which one it was the mobo

Just now, immacat said:

i have it just like this

Then any regular old sata hard drive will work fine, the various generations of sata are inter-compatible so you don’t need to worry about sata 1 versus sata 2 versus 3, etc