Can i plug in gpus with only half the power connectors without putting load on them?

Ls9L

So i have a 5700xt in my system and recently my brother gave me his 6800xt because it doesn't produce any output and told me to do whatever with it because he got a new one. Just the fans spin but no output. I wanted to put it into my 2nd pcie slot to do some testing but i don't have enough gpu power connectors for both my 5700xt and 6800xt.. Could i only put half the amount of connectors on each gpu and just not run anything that would actually use the gpus? like games benchmarks discord youtube etc? Could i risk damaging my gpu at all? Also if anyone knows what i could try to fix the 6800xt please let me know because i really want it lmao.

All the connectors must be plugged in.

Why don't you just test the 6800 XT in the topslot? First run DDU, after that reset motherboard BIOS, install the 6800 XT and fire it up.

What make and model is your PSU and your brothers'?

3 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

All the connectors must be plugged in.

Why don't you just test the 6800 XT in the topslot? First run DDU, after that reset motherboard BIOS, install the 6800 XT and fire it up.

What make and model is your PSU and your brothers'?

No clue what his is. He's at work atm. Mines a Corsair 850W 80+ gold. and do i really need to wipe all my gpu drivers and reset bios just to see if i can get it to post? 

3 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

and do i really need to wipe all my gpu drivers and reset bios just to see if i can get it to post?

That's the best way to succes.

DDU might help, but might also not be necessary, since you are sticking with AMD.

BIOS reset is not necessary, that doesn't affect GPU much.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Do you, or someone in your family, have an old GPU that draws all its power from the slot? Like a GT class card? Then you can have a video out while giving full power to the 6800XT